Lions 39 - Eskimos 19 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gonna review the tape ...

But it the kind of game where we let the opponent hang around, and it almost cost us.

Some guys play like their lives are at stake. And other guys play like the first ones that killed in the jungle. Valli. Phillips.

Character comes through once again. :thup:

Mike Reilly is no surprise. Not at all.

Prepare like you are a starter. And he does. And he did. :thup:

Stats coming ...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
M. REILLY 19/28 276 2 1

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
N. MOORE 5 67 1 26
C. TAYLOR 3 22 1 11
A. FOSTER 2 68 0 47
S. GORE 2 42 0 23
T. BROWN 2 34 0 17
A. HARRIS 2 20 0 16
E. JACKSON 2 14 0 8
P. JACKSON 1 9 0 9

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 12 42 0 13
T. BROWN 4 50 1 23
M. REILLY 4 43 0 18
E. JACKSON 2 18 0 18
S. GORE 1 8 0 8

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
S. GORE 1 0 0 0
M. EVANS 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM 6/6 48 3/3 21

Punting NO AVG NET LG
P. MCCALLUM 4 35.8 139 44

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 5 102 20.4 52 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
P. MCCALLUM 6 348 66 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 4 82 20.5 30 0
S. FOORD 1 32 32.0 32 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
C. MUAMBA 5 0 0 0
A. BIGHILL 4 2 0 0
K. WILLIAMS 3 1 0 0
B. JORDAN 2 2 0 0
A. MCKENZIE 2 1 0 0
A. REDDICK 2 0 0 0
D. MARSH 2 0 0 0
K. SMITH 1 1 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 1 0 1 0
E. JACKSON 1 0 0 0
M. EVANS 0 1 0 1
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
K. JOSEPH 6/24 146 1 1
M. NICHOLS 2/2 25 0 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
C. KOCH 3 72 1 46
S. CHAMBERS 3 42 0 23
F. STAMPS 1 39 0 39
J. MESSAM 1 18 0 18

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
H. CHARLES 7 35 0 12
J. MESSAM 1 22 0 22
K. JOSEPH 1 18 0 18

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
M. NICHOLS 1 1 0 0
K. JOSEPH 1 0 0 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
G. SHAW 3/3 47 1/1 10

Punting NO AVG NET LG
G. SHAW 9 46.1 313 72

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
J. BURNETT 1 4 4.0 4 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
G. SHAW 5 311 65 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
W. BROWN 5 117 23.4 34 0
C. KOCH 1 8 8.0 8 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
J. SHERRITT 7 0 1 0
W. BROWN 5 0 0 0
S. LEMON 4 2 0 0
C. THOMPSON 4 0 0 0
T. HILL 3 0 0 1
R. WILLIAMS 3 0 0 0
D. MUNOZ 3 0 0 0
D. ALEXANDER 3 0 0 0
T. LAURENT 2 1 0 0
D. ORAMASIONWU 2 1 0 0
A. SEWELL 2 0 0 0
B. LANG 2 0 0 0
J. BURNETT 2 0 0 0
M. NICHOLS 1 0 0 0
N. COEHOORN 1 0 0 0
J. CAPICCIOTTI 1 0 0 0
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Reilly looked great... you gotta think there are 8 teams (including Ottawa) looking at that guy and wondering... hmm?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WCJ,

Here's what I found watching it live:

The interior of the offensive line had some issues. Valli less so than Angus and the LG.

Return team coverage was sloppy. Two 15 yard No Yards penalties plus a clip on LaRose.

In general, Edmonton dominated the line of scrimmage defensively in the third quarter. Couple that with a solid performance by Grant Shaw, and the Eskimos put the Lions in a field position hole coming out of halftime it took them awhile to dig out of.

A couple of drops.

But screw it. Those are nits to pick on an overall impressive night. Good game planning, a well called game on both sides of the ball. The transition to the 3-4 has worked very well and makes our blitz packages more flexible. We are going to be able to multiple look teams to death when Taylor gets healthy and Mitchell gets his head on straight.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

A fantastic job by our coaches...maybe their best game of the season...MB kept this team together and focused through all the injuries, uncertainty and CRAP that the Lions had to deal with all weak...Chaps designed a masterful plan to help MR have a very good game...very, very smart play calling by Chaps all night long...and Stubler was on top of his game from the first play...the only TD that Edm got was by a gift from Ryan Phillips...other than that, 4 FGs and one came from a turnover that gave EE the ball on our 16 yard line...tremendous job.

MR was great for a backup...he hung in the pocket and made plays with both his legs and his arm...and with a little more composure (nervous in his 1st start) he could of really carved up Edm tonight...I think we will see more of Reilly in the next 2 weeks...

Great game by Tim Brown...KR, PR and running the ball...strong North/South effort by Brown...nice to see.

Great game of FGs by McCallum...a true pro to step up when we were starting our backup...his punting however continues to scare me...

Nice job by the receivers to get open and make some tough catches for their QB again tonight...incredible to think that Nick Moore and Courtney Taylor might be coming out of the lineup...yikes...

Great game by everyone on the defence tonight...Muamba led in tackles...Banks and Marsh were all over the place...and Westerman, Jordan and Evans continue to get the job done inside...

Ryan Phillips though...good game in many respects, but wow, you have to either catch the ball or knock it down...that play on the Edm TD was brutal...

Again, while MR will get a lot of the acclaim tonight, kudos to our coaching staff for having our team well prepared to play this important game...

Congrats to the 2012 Western Conference Regular Season Champs the BC Lions...

A few things stand out...a 161 yards rushing by the Lions by 5 different rushers and 8 sacks by 6 different defenders...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
lion24
Legend

Hell of an effort by the super subs........my only nitpick is McCallum's punting which could possibly cost the Lions a playoff game potentially, almost wish we could have a second punter
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Nice to see MB get 12 wins and the most ever in a first year as a BC Lion coach - however he did take over a GC winning team with an MOP QB at the helm.

But before we put an asterisk on that record you have to factor in how teams that get a new HC under these conditions don't always tune in to the new guy.

Not quite off a GC but Greg Marshall comes to mind where he sure lost the quick support of the QB with their choice of Doug Berry as OC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Shoot - I hit submit and can't find an edit button. I meant to add that Reilly impressed tonight and his post game interview shows he has the right mind set and thinking to be a good QB if given a chance.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

A wonderful character win by basically a second team effort, which was second to none.

This is the meaning of team depth. :yahoo:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
South Pender
Legend

Anyone know the attendance tonight at BC Place?
prj
Starter

Special congratulations are due to Wally Buono and Roy Shivers, who have assembled a really balanced, deep collection of talent and character. Yes, the players make the plays, but there has been great work done assembling the cast.

Well done, finishing first.

Thanks guys.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Anyone know the attendance tonight at BC Place?
Can remember exactly but 30, 112 is the kinda there number that I remember. Just a tad over 30K. It was a good crowd, the Telus thundersticks probably helped.....
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Three of the most satisfying weeks while following this team for the past 38 years. Tons of adversity and reasons to lose and they persevere each time to clinch the West with two games to spare. :thup:

Couldn't say enough about Reilly's performance. Major kudos to him and to Chapdelaine for another masterful offensive game plan. The pair would seem like a good fit in Ottawa two seasons from now. Problem is Reilly is a FA at the end of this season and his stock just took a huge jump tonight and may again at least next week as well. Surely, Edmonton and Winnipeg would be interested him and maybe Montreal too if Calvillo retires. How much of a bidding war are the Lions going to get into to re-sign him if they can only protect one QB in the expansion draft?

Tim Brown had a lot of jump in his game on returns and at RB. Terrific game from him.

Thought the front 7 really brought it tonight. 8 sacks very impressive and Jordan looks to be a keeper. It seemed to be bombs away or nothing for Joseph tonight. Lions really had some deep coverage issues in the opening half that was rectified over the final two quarters.

Lions were having kickoff coverage problems all night leading to short fields for the Eskimos yet Reed decided in the 2nd half just to scrimmage from the 35 on FGs. Weird.

A month to sell and hype the Western Final and two weeks for the Lions to figure out what their line-up will look like for that game on Nov. 18. Hardly an easy task.

For starters which three American receivers should they dress? IMHO Simon and Bruce both need two quality starts to go back in that direction.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

This was my favourite game of the year so far at BC Place stadium.

Some (including me practically EVERY GAME) like to moan/complain about the gameday/stadium presentation stuff. Was it purrfect tonight? NO, but it was a dramatic improvement, IMO.

1. They used the newish decibelmeter throughout the game.

2. They seemed to tone down a bit on the 'LETS MAKE SOME NOISE' being screamed into a microphone (perhaps because we were making noise?).

3. Almost every play was replayed! Of course replays are sponsored by an advertiser now (Global, IIRC) but at least I get to see them. The only one I wish I could have seen but missed was the Edm punt that brushed off a BC player only to be recovered by an Eskimo (who was charged with no yards....).

4. Stats were updated relatively quickly after every quarter and just before the third quarter kickoff there was a video montage of the big replays from the first half!

So, IMO, a really big :thup: to the Lions/BC Place for the gameday stuff tonight. Dramatic improvment but keep it up, theres more to do, IMO.

As for the football. Brown the returner looked a lot better until later in the game. Esks were obviously kicking away from him as balls hit the turf and his returns were shorter. Was really nice to see him used in the running game too.

I was not surprised Reilly had a good game. He's looked good, IMO every other time he's stepped on the field. Starting is something different though and he passed with flying colours, IMO. The BC defensive stand after Reillys pick really seemed to jack the crowd up.

It was one of those games were the stats they were showing in the stadium should have meant a huge lead by the Lions heading INTO halftime but alas it was still a healthy six.

The final quarter was a joy to watch. Realizing the Lions were clinching another Western divison title and there are still a couple games left to go in the regular season. What can a Riderfan say on November 3rd? That game may still mean a lot to them so I really hope the Lions lay into them....

Oh well, I'm gonna catch what I can of the first half again, now. The game is replaying on TSN2 at midnight.....