Harris vs. Cornish For Top Canadian

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

First, I realize that I am a huge Andrew Harris supporter, so whatever I say, is likely to be biased, but I wonder if there is a definite argument for either player to take away the Top Canadian hardware?

Harris:

* by game 18 will have obliterated the single season record for yards from the LOS by a Canadian...isn't this enough???
* will have run for over 1,000 yards
* can kill a team 2 ways, via the run or the pass
* leads our team, first place overall, in receptions
* Is a viable MOP candidate
* is the reigning Top Canadian in the Grey Cup, a game his team won
* plays for the top team in the league
* his Offensive line has been DECIMATED with injuries FROM GAME ONE...
* is becoming an accomplish blocker, especially in picking up blitzers
* scores a LOT of TDs
* hasn't missed a game, played through pain
* when our offence goes to him, we win...when we avoid Harris, we lose...
* is a very smart football player, and is always helping his team (i.e. staying in bounds late in games, etc...doesn't moon opposition fans)

Cornish:

* can't think of a thing...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Why stop at Canadian? The guy would be a legit nominee for MOP straight up.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:First, I realize that I am a huge Andrew Harris supporter, so whatever I say, is likely to be biased, but I wonder if there is a definite argument for either player to take away the Top Canadian hardware?

Harris:

* by game 18 will have obliterated the single season record for yards from the LOS by a Canadian...isn't this enough???
* scores a LOT of TDs
* is a very smart football player, and is always helping his team (i.e. staying in bounds late in games, etc...doesn't moon opposition fans)

Cornish:

As long as Cornish hangs on to the rushing title he will prob still be a MOC lock for the West, and therefore the league. Being supreme at one skill can overshadow someone who's not as high ranking on that same skill but nonetheless still pretty good at it, plus some other skills.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:Why stop at Canadian? The guy would be a legit nominee for MOP straight up.
Politics.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blitz
Team Captain

Harris just broke Evanshan's record for combined yards...a record that has stood for a long, long time..that is enough to make him the better choic for Top Canadian.

I believe our Leos will have Travis Lulay as our MOP candidate while Harris will get the nod for Top Canadian. Lulay is a deserving choice for MOP as is Harris but I believe it would be a mistake to have Lulay as the nominee for a couple of reasons. The first is that Lulay won it last season and its hard to repeat. Secondly if Harris was up for MOP, he would be a sentimental choice in voting, as he is a Canadian and that is a rarity for the MOP award if he got the nod from the West.

The Western nominee will go likel go up against Chad Owens...and I think Harris could win it in that circumstance.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Some voters tend to look at how his team does with his being in the lineup. Lions are the best team in the league. Harris should be a shoo in for top Canadian IMO and arguably MOP
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:First, I realize that I am a huge Andrew Harris supporter, so whatever I say, is likely to be biased, but I wonder if there is a definite argument for either player to take away the Top Canadian hardware?

Harris:

* leads our team, first place overall, in receptions
* Is a viable MOP candidate
* is the reigning Top Canadian in the Grey Cup, a game his team won
* plays for the top team in the league
* his Offensive line has been DECIMATED with injuries FROM GAME ONE...
* scores a LOT of TDs

Cornish:

Someone (you, perhaps?) pointed out on here recently that Cornish's rushing numbers are rather unevenly distributed against opposing teams, coming mostly against Ham & Edm than against other teams, and the numbers bear that out. This graphic, with 2012 stats through week 16, shows that he rushes for 28.8/5.0 = 5.7 yds per game against Ham for every yard rushed per game against us. Harris's rushing production on the other hand, while admittedly not quite as great overall, is much more greatly balanced. The head-to-head matchup is quite stark as well if you compare Cornish's orange slice with Harris's red, i.e., relatively speaking, Harris has inflicted a MUCH greater share of his (rushing) damage on Cgy than Cornish has on us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
South Pender
Legend

Cornish's extreme a**holery may work against his getting this. Harris is so mature, modest, and unassuming in comparison.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Someone (you, perhaps?) pointed out on here recently that Cornish's rushing numbers are rather unevenly distributed against opposing teams, coming mostly against Ham & Edm than against other teams, and the numbers bear that out. This graphic, with 2012 stats through week 16, shows that he rushes for 28.8/5.0 = 5.7 yds per game against Ham for every yard rushed per game against us. Harris's rushing production on the other hand, while admittedly not quite as great overall, is much more greatly balanced. The head-to-head matchup is quite stark as well if you compare Cornish's orange slice with Harris's red, i.e., relatively speaking, Harris has inflicted a MUCH greater share of his (rushing) damage on Cgy than Cornish has on us.
I was the one who pointed out that more than half of Cornish's rushing totals have come against Hamilton and Edmonton, but your pie chart makes the case much more effectively. :thup:
agent2
All Star

Excellent chart, you could be coach material... or maybe GM material! My vote goes for the guy on the team with the most wins. Cornish the local boy is hard to hate though.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Someone (you, perhaps?) pointed out on here recently that Cornish's rushing numbers are rather unevenly distributed against opposing teams, coming mostly against Ham & Edm than against other teams, and the numbers bear that out. This graphic, with 2012 stats through week 16, shows that he rushes for 28.8/5.0 = 5.7 yds per game against Ham for every yard rushed per game against us. Harris's rushing production on the other hand, while admittedly not quite as great overall, is much more greatly balanced. The head-to-head matchup is quite stark as well if you compare Cornish's orange slice with Harris's red, i.e., relatively speaking, Harris has inflicted a MUCH greater share of his (rushing) damage on Cgy than Cornish has on us.
I was the one who pointed out that more than half of Cornish's rushing totals have come against Hamilton and Edmonton, but your pie chart makes the case much more effectively. :thup:
Thanks for stepping forward BCF, my memory was failing me, and thanks to all for the kind words.

Just to reiterate on that graphic, I was only taking rushing (not rec) yards into account and compensating for unbalanced schedule effects as well (e.g., Cornish only has 1 gm v Ham, but 3 v Ssk and 3 v Edm so everything is per gm). It's also a good thing I didn't bother making this graphic before his second game against us; his rushing total in the first game was negative and I have no idea how to show that in a pie chart!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

While pie charts and in depth analysis comparisons are great, the voters are sports writers who may not have viewed all the games, won't be looking at graphs or video and often are bias and sometimes political ("if you vote for my fav, I'll vote for yours; or look at all those awards and all stars on the BC Lions last year, we can't do that again").

OTOH does anyone have an up to date total of yards rushing, yards receiving, TDs for Harris and Cornish?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:OTOH does anyone have an up to date total of yards rushing, yards receiving, TDs for Harris and Cornish?
HARRIS
983 rushing
682 receiving
1,665 total
10 TDs

CORNISH
1,275 rushing
224 receiving
1,499 total
11 TDs
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks BCFAN...Cornish is the "sexy" choice (and not just because he lets it all hang out), but Harris is the practical choice. Just consider the issues we have had with our OLine from game 1 this year...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein