Lulays fumble

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

mightybuck
Legend

what I dont understand is the play itself - - McCallum has been good - the Lions were just about in field goal position and with the OL playing so horrible why drop lulay in the pocket and take a chance of a sack - forget the fumble - even a sack at that point would have hurt...why not roll him out with a play action - hit someone on a short route or use legs if needed to pick up valuable yardage - there was plenty of time to run short patterns or run to get the extra yardage needed and then let Paul kick the FG for the tie and send it to OT -

Just dont understand the play calling - I cant blame travis for the fumble - his arm was hit while back - if he had tucked it in yes the Lions maintain possession but he would have still been sacked - Edmonton sent the house and no one was blocking..just makes little sense it seems
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:what I dont understand is the play itself - - McCallum has been good - the Lions were just about in field goal position and with the OL playing so horrible why drop lulay in the pocket and take a chance of a sack - forget the fumble - even a sack at that point would have hurt...why not roll him out with a play action - hit someone on a short route or use legs if needed to pick up valuable yardage - there was plenty of time to run short patterns or run to get the extra yardage needed and then let Paul kick the FG for the tie and send it to OT -

Just dont understand the play calling - I cant blame travis for the fumble - his arm was hit while back - if he had tucked it in yes the Lions maintain possession but he would have still been sacked - Edmonton sent the house and no one was blocking..just makes little sense it seems
:whs:

That play, and the result of the game are not on Lulay. IMO ...

Wouldn't Trestman, or Hufnagel, or even Miller, love to get their hands on Lulay? I mean on their roster, not hands on by one of their rush ends. :wink:
zark
Champion

I'm not sure if Lulay is having fun anymore. Watching Jaque Strap football is boring enough.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

The guy is already developing a penchant for turn-overs in the critical 4th quarter that quite frankly scare me
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Mikemike
All Star

Honestly, that was the closest I have ever come to kicking in the TV screen. It was just agonising to watch. Lulay seems like a good guy, no hard feelings, just a hard moment. I hope he doesn't take it too hard, he's doing pretty well.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I didn't think the Lions managed the clock all that well in the last drive. It's pretty hard to march 90 yards with a bunch of short passes and not expect something bad to happen.

I agree that the last play was a bad play call. Especially when the pattern was short passes. It would have made more sense to roll out and try to get a little closer to FG range to tie the game.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

But 16/26 for 134 yds and no TDs and 2 INTs isn't really gonna cut it. alot of those yards came on that last drive. AND Jamal Robertson would have had only 15 yds if he didn't break that one long run, so his stats look misleading. The running game is not helping the offence. They need to get more than 1 yard on most run plays. Is it me or do the run plays take a long time to even get started. Lulay looks like he is saying "OK here we go! I'm about to hand this ball off to our Running Back!"
DJ Rider MJ
prospect

Tough fumble to give up. I would trust Pauls range.. Maybe let Robertson have at er twice and then kick the field goal.
nelson95
Legend

Lulay had chance to get rid of the bll and didn't

game over
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Area51
All Star

Agree 100% with the original poster - - stupid play calling cost them the game this week, just as it did last week.

Why put Lulay in a position to fail? Great coaches put their players in the position to win, and Wally's never been good at that. He won with Flutie (as did everyone else he played for in the CFL) and Dickenson in his prime, but with an average QB Wally's teams have no chance.

Lulay's arm strength is questionable at best - - yet last week they call for him to throw across the field when all they had to do was run out the clock in the 4th Q. And where was Jarious to make the hail mary on the last play of the game? Did Wally really think Lulay could get a pass to the end zone?
nelson95
Legend

I painfully watched Wally win a GC in 2001 with a weak QB(Crandell)
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
joe kapp22
Legend

Honour Dewalt wrote:But 16/26 for 134 yds and no TDs and 2 INTs isn't really gonna cut it. alot of those yards came on that last drive. AND Jamal Robertson would have had only 15 yds if he didn't break that one long run, so his stats look misleading. The running game is not helping the offence. They need to get more than 1 yard on most run plays. Is it me or do the run plays take a long time to even get started. Lulay looks like he is saying "OK here we go! I'm about to hand this ball off to our Running Back!"
Well, that and what is it with the second half crumbling to nothing?

We play great first halves, then in the second half the wheels come off of the offence.

As for the fumble, it is always something with Lulay, Manny A as well, to get less general, Lulay makes poor decisions, add in the Wr's are rounding off their out routes, that has contributed to Int's in the last two games.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

That's an easy one, ed. We. Dont . Adjust
Real women wear orange!!
joe kapp22
Legend

CatsEyes wrote:That's an easy one, ed. We. Dont . Adjust
I do not have the stomach to go rewatch the fiasco, however there were some adjustments made, particularly in the running game where they used a sort of wishbone for a couple of series.

The problem is, you have to establish the pass to allow for the run and no defencive coordinator concerns themselves with Travis Lulay beating them with his arm, so they stack the box around the Line of Scrimmage and the offence just grinds to a halt, we've seen it for 4 games now..that is why I said it was brutal to watch, one knows what is going to happen.

:2cents:
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.