Game Day Thread - Alouettes at Lions - 2010 07 16

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Should be an excellent test for our Lions.

Some keys ...

I wish we would run the ball at least 25 times. Pound the D Line and LBs.

Put the would-be blitzers of the Als on their heels. Wear them down.

Blitz Calvillo. Mix up the looks and coverages.

Anything is possible in the CFL. Look at the results for the Argonauts. I have had a tendency to disregard Barker, but I give him credit for good work with the Argos.

Possible outcomes of today's game:

The Als could blow the Lions out. As they did in the playoffs last year. Too much experience vs inexperience. Too much of a blitz for our O Line and play calling to handle. Too little pressure on Calvillo to slow down their offence.

The Lions could prevail, as they have done a number of times in Buono's time here. We would need a strong running game, something we have used successfully against them in the past. We would need a good game from Casey and his receivers. We would need to pressure that ancient, slow-footed, skinny-legged Calvillo, and get him off his game.

I'm not going to pick a winner. I'm just going to watch, enjoy the scenery, enjoy the battle, and see what happens.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Lets get it! lets go leos!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm not worried about Anthony Calvillo and the Montreal offence. They'll make their plays but they won't kill the Lions. The key to the game is the B.C. offence against the Montreal defence. Montreal has given up over 800 yards passing in its first two games and has been unable to stop the deep pass. The B.C. offence has to outgain and outscore the Als.

If you project Casey Printers' first-half stats against Saskatchewan for a full game, he's averaging less than 230 yards passing per game. Those numbers won't get it done against Montreal. If Printers can hit receivers on intermediate and deep routes the way that Ricky Ray and Darian Durant did, the Lions will win.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder if our OC learned anything from last week against the blitzing Riders ?
Tighthead
Legend

Run the ball to slow the ame down and set up the deep shot. Throw the deep ball off play action.

In most cases, a long incompletion is more useful than the 2-4 yard completions we often see.

20-25 runs would help keep AC off the field. His release is so quick that blitzing him seems like a waste of resources. Giving him some different looks would be nice, just because he is such a read and react guy.

Don't lose the penalty count 2-1.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder if our OC learned anything from last week against the blitzing Riders ?
There's a first time for everything, I suppose :pray:
The_Pauser
Legend

I would like to see the Lions effectively set up, and use, the play action.

I would also like to see a screen pass thrown...by us. Please :pray: Just try it. Just once.
Roar you Lions roar!
wildthing
All Star

in the lions favor, Edm exposed that Mtl cannot defend the deep ball very well. For the Leos to win that is a key thing that they must exploit. If the Leos can connect on the deep balls, Mtl is very beatable and looks very human.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Run the ball. Period.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There are clearly two schools of thought here: Run the ball or throw deep. I still think Montreal is most vulnerable to the long pass. If the Lions can do that and establish a running game, we'll have the best of both worlds. :beer:
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

We can throw deep all we want-thing is, can we CATCH deep?
Real women wear orange!!
Rammer
Team Captain

CatsEyes wrote:We can throw deep all we want-thing is, can we CATCH deep?
I hope that we can throw deep all we want, I doubt that we have the time tonight.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: ...
I'm not going to pick a winner. I'm just going to watch, enjoy the scenery, enjoy the battle, and see what happens.
:whs: I'm thinking my lowered expectations will lead to me enjoying the game even if the outcome may not be good. I'm also looking to try a new escape route home once the final gun has sounded.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote: ...
:whs: I'm thinking my lowered expectations will lead to me enjoying the game even if the outcome may not be good. I'm also looking to try a new escape route home once the final gun has sounded.
Oh how the Lion fans perspectives have fallen off.
Entertainment value = an all time low