BC Lions Singh a Repeat

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Did I hear correctly Bobby Singh is back in the Den?
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

LU is reporting that he was talking to Wally about a PR spot. Between him and Hameister-Reis maybe they can put one healthy body together that could last a whole season.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
SammyGreene
Team Captain

As per LU ... yes:

Lots of holes to fill before opener; Eskimos 31 Lions 19: Coach/GM Buono on lookout for talent from every elsewhere
The Province
Wed Jun 24 2009
Lowell Ullrich

The good news is that not everyone playing for the Lions at B.C. Place Stadium on Tuesday night will form the CFL team that will start the season in, gulp, just over a week.

The bad news? See above, because what the Lions put on the field in losing 31-19 to the Edmonton Eskimos isn't going to be good enough.

It may not so much be a case of cutting 13 players who were auditioning in front of 23,217 at the refurbished dome. The two-week speed bump known as training camp has prompted the Lions to seriously start looking elsewhere for talent.

The first move will be made not long after coach Wally Buono settles into work this morning at the club's Surrey compound. It will continue right up until the team must declare a 46-man active roster later this week.

Bobby Singh, who was exiled by Buono after the 2006 season and spent part of last season with Winnipeg before being cut this spring, will be the first to join the club Thursday, The Province has learned.

The Richmond product has agreed to terms on a contract and will take a practice-roster slot should he pass a physical today. He would serve as insurance after the Lions lost Jon Hameister-Reis to a season-ending shoulder and arm injury.

Also possibly returning is Jamall Johnson, who exchanged contract proposals with the Lions this week after his release from the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but also has an offer from the Calgary Stampeders.

And if one former B.C. linebacker isn't on his way back, there's always the chance JoJuan Armour, released this week by Calgary, could return. Buono acknowledged contact had been made with the linebacker he traded to Hamilton three years ago.

Off the scrimmage at the dome, either player would be useful on special teams, after the Lions gave up a 113-yard touchdown off one of three missed field goals by Paul McCallum.

And there wasn't enough rushing offence generated behind Ian Smart to abandon the club's intent to pursue other pending CFL cuts, notably in Toronto, where the Argonauts currently have four import runners.

"There's reason to be optimistic -- and there's also reason to believe there's a lot of work," Buono said. "I'm not going to sit here and not acknowledge there were too many mistakes and too many turnovers. But I believe we can be competitive ourselves."

Notes and other observations on the other position battles:

- Quarterback: Likely openings: 1. Travis Lulay only got five minutes, and the lack of urgency to get both third-string candidates might suggest the Lions have decided they have no choice but to find spots for all four signal-callers on the 46-man roster. But Lulay was extremely impressive in his first of three drives.

- Offensive line: Likely openings: 1. Walter Stith started and did not do anything to lose his seeding. Rookie Matt Morencie could be the odd man out if the Lions can't find him a practice roster spot.

- Receiver: Likely openings: 1. Terence Scott was the first newcomer on the field and made one catch off his shoetops impressively, but the Lions are going to investigate ways in which they can keep 21-year-old Emmanuel Arceneaux, who caught Lulay's scoring throw. Rufus Skillern had the longest reception, a 51-yarder from Lulay, a much-needed boost for his chances with import Ryan Grice-Mullen sitting out.

- Running back: Likely openings: 1. Martell Mallett had a leg up on the rookie field until he fumbled with the Lions trying to generate their first touchdown. He made up for it later, though. If nothing else, one spot was earned Tuesday, though Mallett limped off the field in the fourth quarter.

- Defensive line: Likely openings: 2. The assignment was to find a backup for rookie Jeremy Gibbs. Another rookie, Jonathan Williams, helped himself.

- Linebacker: Likely openings: 2. Anton McKenzie will be a big upgrade this season. Terna Nande continues to push for work.

- Defensive back: Likely openings: 2. Predictably, Esks quarterback Ricky Ray picked on short-side newcomer Darren Toney, but Korey Banks didn't look out of place in his new nickel back spot.

- Returner/Special teams: Likely openings: 1 or 2. Mallett helped his chances with a 30-yard punt return once Cory Rodgers and Ian Smart, who fumbled one return out of bounds, sat down. But the conceded return touchdown, plus the lack of offence, could force the Lions to start looking elsewhere for players.
Dan
Rookie

Yeah, it sounds like he is going to sign a PR spot to start. Good decision to bring a vetran presence in, this gives us a little bit of depth at the LG spot.
Rammer
Team Captain

Dan wrote:Yeah, it sounds like he is going to sign a PR spot to start. Good decision to bring a vetran presence in, this gives us a little bit of depth at the LG spot.
It also suggests to me that the thinking on Morencie is to send him back to play in the CIS.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Why am I reminded of Moe Elowinibi (sp?) with this situation?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:Why am I reminded of Moe Elowinibi (sp?) with this situation?
Sans the eccentric backup QB of course. Elewonibi wasn't in condition, we just seemed desperate.