Trestman rumoured for Oakland job

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Trestman rumoured for Oakland job

Alouettes have already lost assistant Creehan to Eastern Michigan

By Herb Zurkowsky, Montreal Gazette; Canwest News ServiceJanuary 13, 2009

The Montreal Alouettes have lost Casey Creehan, one of their assistant coaches from last season.

Now they're waiting to see whether one of the architects behind their Grey Cup appearance will also be departing.

Creehan, the Canadian Football League club's linebackers coach, has left to become the defensive-line coach at Eastern Michigan, a Division-IA school that competes in the Mid-American Conference.

Prior to joining the Als, Creehan spent four seasons as the Calgary Stampeders' defensive-line coach.

Also over the weekend, the name of head coach Marc Trestman was being floated by Charley Casserly, a former

National Football League general manager and now a CBS analyst, as a potential candidate to coach the Oakland Raiders. But ESPN reporter John Clayton, speaking at Sunday's playoff game between the San Chargers Diego and Pittsburgh Steelers, said he didn't believe Trestman would be considered for the job.

Trestman spent three years with the Raiders, starting in 2001, and was their offensive co-ordinator the following year, when they won the AFC championship and torched defences behind the passing of quarterback Rich Gannon.

But the Raiders went only 4-12 the following season, leading to the Trestman's firing. Trestman, coincidentally, interviewed for the offensive co-ordinator's position at Oakland in January 2007, shortly after he had been fired by North Carolina State, where he spent two years as offensive co-ordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Trestman, when interviewed Monday, spoke about Creehan's departure, but refused to talk about anything else.

An Als official said the organization is declining all other comment, claiming the Raiders haven't requested permission to talk to Trestman.

Creehan had two years remaining on his Montreal contract, but his pact included an escape clause and Eastern Michigan was granted permission to contact him. Creehan contacted Trestman before and after the interview, which occurred Jan. 5.

"This is a great opportunity for me to help turn a program around," said Creehan, 31. "It's also an opportunity to get back to the U.S. Had I coached my whole career in the CFL, I'd feel very fortunate. But it doesn't hurt a young coach to expand his contacts. I just want to keep advancing in my career."

Denny Creehan, his father and the former Hamilton Tiger-Cats defensive co-ordinator, was recently named head coach at West Virginia Wesleyan. Father and son worked together on the Stamps' staff, and the younger Creehan said he had an open invitation to join West Virginia. But he had no desire to join a Division-II program.

At Eastern Michigan, Creehan will work under new head coach Ron English, a former defensive co-ordinator at the University of Louisville and Michigan.

Trestman said he'll never stand in the way of his assistants enhancing their careers. "He (Creehan) was a great contributor, a young coach who grew."

Trestman said he has just started collecting information on potential replacements, and isn't in any rush to find a successor. "We're way ahead of where we were a year ago."

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service
Al Davis in Oakland is liable to do anything. Lately he has been changing coaches almost every year. Trestman had some success there as OC. No word yet about permission being asked for or granted for the Raiders to speak to Trestman.

Trestman going to Oakland sounds like a rumour without much basis. I hope he is staying in Montreal. He brought some new looks to the CFL.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

haahahahahahahah, i thought tresman was a smart guy. Anyone with 3/8th's of a brain wouldnt wanna work for that tyrant.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:haahahahahahahah, i thought tresman was a smart guy. Anyone with 3/8th's of a brain wouldnt wanna work for that tyrant.
He had done a stint as OC previously in Oakland.

I was never a Trestman fan prior to this year. I also think he wouldn't do well in Oakland, and he's sort of found his niche as a coach in the CFL.
Bosco
Team Captain

Although Trestman has had prior success in Oakland, it makes you wonder why anyone with head coaching aspirations would want to consider Al Davis' loonybin. :wag: As long as Davis is alive, any Raider head coach will be nothing more than a puppet.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Speaking of Al Davis, did he cough up the money owing to the head coach he fired ?
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Speaking of Al Davis, did he cough up the money owing to the head coach he fired ?
I understood that Davis claimed Kiffin was fired for cause, therefore: no more money. Kiffin should be OK though with the Tennessee gig. I had heard that Cable was going to keep the HC position so, if Trestman were to go back to Oakland, I assume it would be as an assistant.
Dan Russell
Legend

As long as old man Davis is running the show no sane coach will take the Head Coaching job there. Only a nut will or a person desperate for a head coaching job in the NFL but it isn't worth it right now.