Official NFL Thread 2008-09 Super Bowl 43 - Pitt 27 Ariz 23

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

No surprise that the Patriots are at the top of the USA Today's rankings.

Dolphins at 31. Will Parcells be able to do the quick turnaround with the Fish? In the past, he did very fast rebuilding jobs on the Patriots, the Jets and Cowboys, along with his Giants teams that won the NFL championship in 1986 and 1990.

Jets in the middle of the pack (not that Pack), at 17. :wink: Will Favre surprise, and be successful, as his age, with a new team, or will he be just the latest superstar who did not retire when he should have?

Giants at 4. Eli had a helluva playoff run. :beer: He's not just Peyton Manning's little brother now.
Back on top? Patriots open at No. 1 spot in power rankings

These are USA TODAY's inaugural NFL power rankings for the 2008 NFL season. The next edition will come after Week 1:

1 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS Post-draft rank: 1 Total points: 377

Notes: Huge expectations again after '07 dream went unfulfilled.. (Six first-place votes)

2 TIE DALLAS COWBOYS Post-draft rank: 5 Total points: 361

Notes:The guns are loaded. Will they end the playoff win drought?

2 TIE SAN DIEGO CHARGERS Post-draft rank: 4 Total points: 361

Notes: After 46 wins in four years, is Super Bowl finally reachable?(Two first-place votes.)

4 N.Y. GIANTS Post-draft rank: 2 Total points: 352

Notes: Defending champs, sure, but they didn't win NFC East in '07. (Four first-place votes.)

5 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS Post-draft rank: 3 Total points: 342

Notes: Mounting injuries threaten to derail penchant for fast starts.

6 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS Post-draft rank: 6 Total points: 326

Notes: Will they capitalize on Colts' ailments to seize AFC South?

7 CLEVELAND BROWNS Post-draft rank: 8 Total points: 287

Notes: For the first time in a while, optimism abounds in Cleveland.

8 PITTSBURGH STEELERS Post-draft rank: 11 Total points: 283

Notes: Must Steelers fans get used to looking up at the Browns?

9 GREEN BAY PACKERS Post-draft rank: 9 Total points: 264

Notes: No honeymoon for Aaron Rodgers. Expect fast judgment.

10 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES Post-draft rank: 10 Total points: 260

Notes: Cellar dwellers last year could be contenders this season.

11 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS Post-draft rank: 7 Total points: 253

Notes: After the injuries, who will catch Matt Hasselbeck's passes?

12 MINNESOTA VIKINGS Post-draft rank: 12 Total points: 245

Notes: Pinning hopes that Tarvaris Jackson stays healthy, effective.

13 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS Post-draft rank: 13 Total points: 238

Notes: A bounce-back year may be in store for Drew Brees, et al.

14 TENNESSEE TITANS Post-draft rank: 16 (tie) Total points: 216

Notes:Chris Johnson looks good so far. But who will catch the ball?

15 WASHINGTON REDSKINS Post-draft rank: 18 Total points: 213

Notes: They're winning thus far in the preseason. September will be tougher.

16 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS Post-draft rank: 14 Total points: 197

Notes: Ironic if the other 38-year-old QB (Jeff Garcia) sparks Bucs.

17 NY JETS Post-draft rank: 24 Total points: 194

Notes: Brett Favre's arrival breathed new life. Can they sustain it?

18 ARIZONA CARDINALS Post-draft rank: 16 (tie) Total points: 189

Notes: If QB situation settles, a division title is within Cards' reach.

19 BUFFALO BILLS Post-draft rank: 21 Total points: 172

Notes: If Trent Edwards progresses, the Bills could reach the playoffs ... as a wild card.

20 CAROLINA PANTHERS Post-draft rank: 19 Total points: 158

Notes: Year could ride on Jake Delhomme's ability to stay healthy.

21 HOUSTON TEXANS Post-draft rank: 15 Total points: 155

Notes: Top priorities: Health for Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson.

22 CINCINNATI BENGALS Post-draft rank: 25 (tie) Total points: 145

Notes: Can the offensive talent rebound to reach the playoffs?

23 DENVER BRONCOS Post-draft rank: 20 Total points: 143

Notes: Haven't missed playoffs in three straight years since '80-'82.

24 DETROIT LIONS Post-draft rank: 25 (tie) Total points: 104

Notes: Improved last year but must forget sputtering finish.

25 BALTIMORE RAVENS Post-draft rank: 27 Total points: 92

Notes: QB quandary could make for a slow start to the season.

26 CHICAGO BEARS Post-draft rank: 22 Total points: 89

Notes: QBs are more than a quandary. Will they pick up another?

27 ST. LOUIS RAMS Post-draft rank: 23 Total points: 85

Notes: With Steven Jackson, they're improved. Without him? Yikes.

28 OAKLAND RAIDERS Post-draft rank: 30 Total points: 69

Notes: After a late start in '07, JaMarcus Russell takes the stage.

29 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS Post-draft rank: 28 Total points: 68

Notes: Any chance the 49ers don't rely on multiple QBs this year?

30 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS Post-draft rank: 29 Total points: 49

Notes: Lots of young players ... and not very high expectations.

31 MIAMI DOLPHINS Post-draft rank: 31 Total points: 29

Notes: Is Chad Pennington enough to bring them a couple of wins?

32 ATLANTA FALCONS Post-draft rank: 32 Total points: 20

Notes: They're selling hope ... that they'll be good next year.

-- Compiled by Sean Leahy from votes by 12 USA TODAY football staffers

-- Thirty-two points assigned for a first-place vote, 31 for a second, etc.
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.
bclions16
Champion

What is this "NFL" you speak of? ;)
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote:What is this "NFL" you speak of? ;)
It's some Mickey Mouse league down south. Nowhere near as exciting as the CFL. But some of us watch a few games here and there. :wink:

NFL = No Fun League
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Thanks for getting this thread going, WCJ. The NFL keeps my Sundays filled from after Grey Cup Sunday through to the Superbowl. This has been an amazing offseason. WCJ, we both talked about #4 (ex-Packer); I still can't believe how all that turned out. I personally am thrilled to see Jim Zorn as the Head Coach of the Redskins. I'm not a Washington fan, I'm just glad to see Zorn get a shot. I also like watching the Seahawks so it's going to be weird knowing Holmgren's calling it a day at the end of the season. I 'observe' more than be a fan of the NFL. I like watching the league but who wins and why isn't a big deal. Anyway, I hope all teams lose so the 'unbeaten story' doesn't last too long. I think the Patriots have some unfinished business as a result of how things turned out for them during the Superbowl.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Thanks for getting this thread going, WCJ. The NFL keeps my Sundays filled from after Grey Cup Sunday through to the Superbowl. This has been an amazing offseason. WCJ, we both talked about #4 (ex-Packer); I still can't believe how all that turned out. I personally am thrilled to see Jim Zorn as the Head Coach of the Redskins. I'm not a Washington fan, I'm just glad to see Zorn get a shot. I also like watching the Seahawks so it's going to be weird knowing Holmgren's calling it a day at the end of the season. I 'observe' more than be a fan of the NFL. I like watching the league but who wins and why isn't a big deal. Anyway, I hope all teams lose so the 'unbeaten story' doesn't last too long. I think the Patriots have some unfinished business as a result of how things turned out for them during the Superbowl.
You mention many things of interest to me, notahomer.

Favre. Thought he wrapped his career up in great fashion in Hallowed Green Bay. Then he messes around with it. I suppose if he takes the Jets deep into the playoffs (unlikely?), he will have us in his corner again.

Zorn. What a shot out of the blue for Snyder to hire him. It's very cool. And has possibilities. Zorn reminds me to some degree of Bill Walsh who was going nowhere in his career, and finally got his chance with the 49ers. They are "go their own way" type of individuals. Outside of the box thinkers. Interesting guys with new ideas.

Holmgren. Announcing your retirement prior to the season is a head-shaker. But it could work. Holmgren and Zorn both use many of the ideas developed by Bill Walsh.

Patriots. I have mixed reactions to Bill Belicheck. And Randy Moss. But they came close to running the table last year. Even the last Hail Mary pass, Brady to Moss, in the Super Bowl was only deflected and stopped by a great, athletic defensive play.

It ain't the CFL, but it is interesting in its own right. Plus the NFL acts as a not bad "feeder league" for the CFL. :wink:
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prairielion
Starter

:sleep: :sleep:
Still in Riderville, hating the Riders!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Week One NFL Football Point Spread - NFL Spreads 9/4 - 9/8, 2008

Date & Time Favorite Spread Underdog

9/4 7:00 ET At NY Giants -4 Washington
9/7 1:00 ET Cincinnati -1.5 At Baltimore
9/7 1:00 ET NY Jets -3 At Miami
9/7 1:00 ET At New England -16 Kansas City
9/7 1:00 ET At Pittsburgh -6.5 Houston
9/7 1:00 ET Jacksonville -3 At Tennessee
9/7 1:00 ET Detroit -3 At Atlanta
9/7 1:00 ET At Buffalo -1 Seattle
9/7 1:00 ET At New Orleans -3 Tampa Bay
9/7 1:00 ET At Philadelphia -7.5 St. Louis
9/7 4:15 ET Dallas -5.5 At Cleveland
9/7 4:15 ET At San Diego -9 Carolina
9/7 4:15 ET Arizona -2.5 At San Francisco
9/7 8:15 ET At Indianapolis -9.5 Chicago

Monday Night Football Point Spread

9/8 7:00 ET At Green Bay -2.5 Minnesota
9/8 10:15 ET Denver -3 At Oakland

To beat the spread

Redskins at the Giants

Jim Zorn, first year Head Coach of Washington against the Super Bowl Champions

Giants -4

Dolphins at the Jets

Favre with Jets, Pennington with the Fish, Parcells re-building a team once again

Dolphins +3

Vikings at the Packers

Rodgers in for Favre, Peterson of the Vikings getting consideration as the top NFL running back

Packers -2.5
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Not much of a betting man, WCJ. I read the commuter papers here in Van, and heard about an interesting bet.....

Every year you can bet MAN or BEAST to win the Superbowl! So, the Ravens, Seahawks are examples of beast, Giants/Cowboys examples of man. :lol:

I don't have favourite NFL teams but I lean more towards Oakland/Seattle. I don't think either team is going to do much. I am going to be catching more Redskins games simply because I remember Zorn as a QB and hope he does well as a coach. But, my NFL focus doesn't really open up until after the Grey Cup.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Not much of a betting man, WCJ. I read the commuter papers here in Van, and heard about an interesting bet.....

Every year you can bet MAN or BEAST to win the Superbowl! So, the Ravens, Seahawks are examples of beast, Giants/Cowboys examples of man. :lol:

I don't have favourite NFL teams but I lean more towards Oakland/Seattle. I don't think either team is going to do much. I am going to be catching more Redskins games simply because I remember Zorn as a QB and hope he does well as a coach. But, my NFL focus doesn't really open up until after the Grey Cup.
I don't follow the NFL all that closely anymore. I prefer the CFL game, but one can't help but hear about and be aware of how things are going in the NFL.

Man vs Beast. That is too much. :lol:

I'll take a Beast in the CFL, the Lions, to win the Grey Cup over another "Beast," the Alouettes.

Yeah, many of us here remember Zorn playing for the SeaHawks. I didn't realize he finished his career with the Blue Bombers. He is an interesting guy, not as far out there as Joe Smith, but out there somewhere. I hope he does well with the Redskins. Lots of doubters ...
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wow ... Seahawks take a pounding today.

Maybe the Lions should be capitalizing on another market that is starving for a winner and run some game ads in the Seattle Times. :lol:

Mariners dead last, Sonics gone, Huskies stink and now the Seahawks serve up a dog. Tough times to be sports fan in the Emerald City.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Cowboys (1-0-0) 7 14 7 0 28

Browns (0-0-0) 0 7 0 3 10

DAL: T. Romo (24-32, 320) , J. Witten (6-96)

CLE: D. Anderson (11-24, 114) , J. Lewis (13-62)

Jones' Boys off to a good start.

Chiefs (0-1-0) 0 3 0 7 10

Patriots (1-0-0) 0 7 7 3 17

KC: D. Huard (8-12, 118) , L. Johnson (22-74)

NE: M. Cassel (13-18, 152) , R. Moss (6-116)

Tom Brady injured. Might be out for the year.

SammyGreene wrote:Wow ... Seahawks take a pounding today.

Maybe the Lions should be capitalizing on another market that is starving for a winner and run some game ads in the Seattle Times. :lol:

Mariners dead last, Sonics gone, Huskies stink and now the Seahawks serve up a dog. Tough times to be sports fan in the Emerald City.
For sure, Sammy. Not much fun to go to Qwest Field or Safeco Field these days.

Seahawks (0-1-0) 0 7 3 0 10

Bills (1-0-0) 7 13 14 0 34

SEA: M. Hasselbeck (17-41, 190) , N. Burleson (5-60)

BUF: T. Edwards (19-30, 215) , L. Evans (4-102)

Holmgren might wish he had not announced his retirement before the season.

Jets (1-0-0) 7 6 7 0 20

Dolphins (0-1-0) 0 7 0 7 14

NYJ: B. Favre (15-22, 194) , T. Jones (22-101)

MIA: C. Pennington (26-43, 251) , A. Fasano (8-84)

Favre wins in his debut with the Jets.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think the first couple weeks of NFL are a bit out of the ordinary. Surprised to see some of the outcomes that occurred today. I did stay faithful to the CFL and caught both our games today. But during commercials I flipped to the NFL games. The Seahawks looked AWFUL. So did the COlts on tonights SUnday Nighter. Doubleheader on Monday Night, I believe.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I think the first couple weeks of NFL are a bit out of the ordinary. Surprised to see some of the outcomes that occurred today. I did stay faithful to the CFL and caught both our games today. But during commercials I flipped to the NFL games. The Seahawks looked AWFUL. So did the COlts on tonights SUnday Nighter. Doubleheader on Monday Night, I believe.
Glad the Stamps beat the Schmoes.

Heartbreaker for the Bombers. I feel sorry for Doug Berry. In the post game interview, one can see the huge stress he has been under. Huge bags under his eyes. Coaching for a career. Ughhhh

About the NFL. That new Colts stadium is beautiful.
Bosco
Team Captain

Wow...the knee injury to Brady is a terrible blow to the Patriots. As good as the Pats are, Brady is engine that drives that team.

I can't see them going the distance with the inexperienced Matt Cassel - perhaps they'll give the recently retired Duante Culpepper a look? :juggle:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: That new Colts stadium is beautiful.
:whs: I know some Stadiums have a special menu item reflecting the City/area. I wonder if and what that would be (a peyton patty for eg?). I think Safeco sells sushi. You are right that is one beautiful stadium.

I am casting my vote in the 'hit wasn't dirty' on the Brady injury. Perhaps Culpepper find a home in NE but I like the fact Simms is being given a look.