It's roster roulette time for Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bclions4life

It's roster roulette time for Lions

There was no white smoke billowing out of the office of Wally Buono Saturday or black smoke for that matter.

Translation: Any formal announcement on the identity of the Lions starting quarterback will have to wait another day at the earliest.

Buono departed from his usual regimen on the weekend, aside from making his final round of roster cuts which are listed on the blog entry below.

The plan is for Buono to meet with Jarious Jackson and Buck Pierce this afternoon to inform them of his decision, then make it known Sunday prior to the first day of the practice week.

There were, however, suggestions the Lions may try and play it coy right up to kickoff for the regular season opener against the Calgary Stampeders, though recent history has shown that move has backfired.

Here's what we do know for the time being. The Lions have 51 players currently in camp, two short of the allowable 53-man limit. They don't yet have to account for Rob Murphy and Bret Anderson. Both can be added to the roster for the opener.

The Lions cut non-import RB Andre Sadeghian Saturday.

Teams are allowed seven practice roster players, who must volunteer for the designation, and the Lions have asked six to agree.

They include:
DBs Donald Brown and Brady Browne.
DLs Justin Shaw, who was injured during the first week of camp but has returned to practice, and Caesar Rayford.
WR Rufus Skillern
K/P Sean Whyte.

If any of them aren't with the Lions in the next day or so, it'll be because they declined the offer.

Injuries also account for some of the indecision. A hamstring injury suffered against Calgary by LB Jamall Johnson may not be as serious as first feared. But the club has looked around the free agent market and may bring in a player in a week or so. It'll be either Johnson or Tim Goodwell against Calgary.

There's also a knee injury suffered by rookie DT Jeremy Gibbs which also must be sorted out in the next day or so.

Roster declaration day around the CFL is often one of the more confusing periods in the league each year. Players whose names appear on a press release as being cut magicly reappear on practice rosters the next day. It's hardly a fan-friendly process.

Better to wait to see how it sorts out, and apparently the same holds true for the quarterbacks.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Does practice roster players receive full salary ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Is it safe to conclude then that rookies Stefan Logan, Clarence Coleman, Rolly Lumbala, Zac Champion, Reggie Myles, Jason Arakgi, Walter Stith, Dan McCullough and Jeremy Gibbs are on the 46-man roster, along with Tim Goodwell, Jerome Dennis and Adam Nicolson, who all spent only part of the season on the roster last year? That's a pretty healthy turnover from last year's 14-3-1 team.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Does practice roster players receive full salary ?
No. It's more like $500 a week.
RoarLionsRoar
Rookie

$550 a week for practice roster players. Gibbs is the real deal, hopefully he's healthy because he's a monster!

Jeremy Gibbs 4 life
bclions4life

RoarLionsRoar wrote:$550 a week for practice roster players. Gibbs is the real deal, hopefully he's healthy because he's a monster!

Jeremy Gibbs 4 life
Here's the deal with Jeremy Gibbs:

Gibbs was offered a spot in this year's Oakland Raiders try-out camp. Why wasn't he there? Because he is a realist. He skipped out on the Raiders camp to come out for the Lions - something that I respect very much. He was quoted in The Province saying that he wants a long career and knows that the CFL is the right league for him. With an attitude like this and the athleticism that we saw in the game against Calgary (stopped Reynolds for a loss), I think Gibbs would be a great addition to our defence and an adequate replacement for big Ty Williams. Plus, he was born in 1985. A young guy mature enough to choose Lions camp over the glitter of the NFL.

Gibbs was a standout at Oregon. He's the real deal and has a great attitude. This is a guy that wants to play in the CFL. I want him on the Lions.

Badly.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here's a full list from cfl.ca, combining all of this week's cuts:
Name: 2008-06-21: Lions Transactions:
Lions Transaction

The BC Lions football club has released the following players:

Non-Import linebacker Josh Bean
Import defensive back James Bethea
Import defensive back Donald Brown
Non-Import defensive back Brady Browne
Import defensive tackle Tory Collins
Non-Import linebacker Tyson Craiggs
Import quarterback Gino Guigugli
Import wide receiver Dedrick Poole
Import defensive end Caesar Rayford
Non-Import defensive lineman Justin Shaw
Import wide receiver Rufus Skillern
Import offensive lineman Clint Stickdorn
Non-Import kicker Sean Whyte
Non-Import running back Andre Sadeghian

The club added the following player:

Non-Import slotback Bret Anderson

The club transferred the following player to the injured list:

Non-Import offensive lineman John Hameister-Ries
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Can't believe Sean Whyte was released.......I'm guessing the Bombers sent him a first class ticket to Winnipeg the second that Taman saw his release.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
lion24
Legend

I can't understand the Whyte cut either?? It's not like McCallum is just entering the prime of his career, I have a lot of confidence in him still but how many years does he have left and if he gets injured the Lions will regret not keeping him around.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Zarquon
Champion

Is it possible that Sean Whyte is a territorial protected player? Josh Boden was that the year before last after not making the roster after camp. IIRC he could have also been a territorial protection last year however Wally had agreed that he would be allowed to leave if he didn't make the Lions roster.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Zarquon wrote:Is it possible that Sean Whyte is a territorial protected player? Josh Boden was that the year before last after not making the roster after camp. IIRC he could have also been a territorial protection last year however Wally had agreed that he would be allowed to leave if he didn't make the Lions roster.
Whyte turns 23 this year and can no longer be protected. If another team claims him, I believe Wally can still recall him and place him on the 46-man roster. That's what the Lions did with Pikula two years ago, but Wally eventually cut him free. You can only stash four players there without putting them through waivers.
Zarquon
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Zarquon wrote:Is it possible that Sean Whyte is a territorial protected player? Josh Boden was that the year before last after not making the roster after camp. IIRC he could have also been a territorial protection last year however Wally had agreed that he would be allowed to leave if he didn't make the Lions roster.
Whyte turns 23 this year and can no longer be protected. If another team claims him, I believe Wally can still recall him and place him on the 46-man roster. That's what the Lions did with Pikula two years ago, but Wally eventually cut him free. You can only stash four players there without putting them through waivers.
I can't see wally letting him go outright. I honestly think this kid is our next kicker and it would be a shame to lose him at this point.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Players have to be released in order to be placed on the PR.

Judging from LU's column, these 6 will be on the PR:

Import defensive back Donald Brown
Non-Import defensive back Brady Browne
Import defensive end Caesar Rayford
Non-Import defensive lineman Justin Shaw
Import wide receiver Rufus Skillern
Non-Import kicker Sean Whyte

Non-Import running back Andre Sadeghian was released in order to get the unretired Bret Anderson back on the roster, but Sadeghian should find his way back on when the lions decide who's going on the IR (Jamall Johnson or Jeremy Gibbs).
Lloyd
BigBadJohn

Overall I'd have to say I am very happy with the current bunch of lions. Edmonton looked great on Thursday and Calgary will be tough. Remember, though it would be nice, the goal is to win the Cup not who finishes first. As long as we have a ticket to the dance in November, I'm a happy Lion in Alberta.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don't forget this is not the final roster that's going to start the season. It's a game that all coaches play to get down to the 53 man roster by noon today.