Lions release six players

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

DL Brandon Ala
WR Jesse Holley
OL Andrew Jones
WR Roosevelt Kiser
OL Brad Kunz
DB Ahmaad Smith

I thought the team was quite high on Ala but looks like Gibbs or Rayford have shown more promise.

Looking better for Rodgers keeping his job, while Coleman, Skillern and Poole battle for the final spot.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Both Stith and Stickdorn still here; interesting.

Never saw much of Kiser, so this is no surprise, and likely good news for Adam Nicholson for one, as well as Rodgers.

Ala has been around for a while, and was in tough to make the team, given who is in those spots already; one would think he'll catch on elsewhere.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:DL Brandon Ala
WR Jesse Holley
OL Andrew Jones
WR Roosevelt Kiser
OL Brad Kunz
DB Ahmaad Smith

I thought the team was quite high on Ala but looks like Gibbs or Rayford have shown more promise.

Looking better for Rodgers keeping his job, while Coleman, Skillern and Poole battle for the final spot.
Ala is a surprise, given Wally's comments on him last week, but Rayford helped his own cause with two sacks against Saskatchewan.
David
Team Captain

Roosevelt Kiser is a good receiver with great speed, but as a WR at just 5'8", was a bit of a long shot. Since neither Buck Pierce nor Jarious Jackson is over 6'1", he would have been a difficult target to find.

Jesse Holley had the physical tools but was a real project.

BTW, did that press release say anything about practice today? Does anyone know the schedule?

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:BTW, did that press release say anything about practice today? Does anyone know the schedule?

DH 8)
They practiced morning:
BC Lions players will be on location at the Abbotsford Exhibition Grounds this Sunday, June 15th at approximately 11:00 am to support local amateur football at a brief skills clinic.

Under the direction of Lions players, members of the Abbotsord Falcons Football Association will be put through the paces at several drill stations where they will learn and practice football basics during an approximately one-hour session that will follow the Lions’ practice.

Sunday, June 15, 2008
Where: Abbotsford Exhibition Grounds
When: 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (approximately)
Who: BC Lions players
Lions33
Starter

well kiser was at the op of the depth chart for one of the WR sports so I wonder who will replace him??
Anyone know?
Leothelion
All Star

lions practices are from 9:00am to 11:00am in Abbotsford Monday to Wednesday.

leo
Blitz
Team Captain

I wasn't surprised by Ala's cut at all...and while I was hopeful for Jones I'm not surprised there as well. However, I think we may have a surprise or maybe even two after the Calgary game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

I was surprised to hear Ala getting the axe. As someone mentioned, Wally was happy with his progress as was Tyrone Williams. One Husky gets beat out by another! Caesar Rayford looks to have some abilities as his name came up more than Ala's in the loss to Sask. Still wondering why Nicolson is around... he was just awful... guess his passport will save him a spot on the roster.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Larry Key wrote: Still wondering why Nicolson is around... he was just awful... guess his passport will save him a spot on the roster.
Because he was a former first round selection. A couple more performances like Friday and he's gone.
Tighthead
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Larry Key wrote: Still wondering why Nicolson is around... he was just awful... guess his passport will save him a spot on the roster.
Because he was a former first round selection. A couple more performances like Friday and he's gone.
The passport also made him eligible for said draft. In the CFL, being a draft pick doesn't mean you have better skills than the undrafted players you compete against, it means you are Canadian.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Agreed. I trust the Boss on this one.

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

As has been mentioned elsewhere on this board.......both Bauman and Fantuz have struggled with the dropsies........and IIRC, Fantuz was benched for a while......could you imagine Sask cutting him !!

One bad game does not a career make.......IMHO, it will take a season of bad games with no sign of improvement before Wally gives up on Nicolson.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:As has been mentioned elsewhere on this board.......both Bauman and Fantuz have struggled with the dropsies........and IIRC, Fantuz was benched for a while......could you imagine Sask cutting him !!

One bad game does not a career make.......IMHO, it will take a season of bad games with no sign of improvement before Wally gives up on Nicolson.
He is the safety net for an injury to Clermont or Jackson currently, he isn't going anywhere this season. He has to pick up his play this season when he gets his limited reps, and he had better be ready for some competition for next season, time to get better.
Entertainment value = an all time low