Crowd noise

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joesports
All Star

No, this isn't a slam to people with "noise" signs. I sometimes wish announcer guy would knock off calling for noise every single time our D lines up. Don't most of us know when to be loud and when not to?

I'm just wondering about a common theme I've noticed on other team's message boards. They're constantly referring to us pumping in artificial crowd noise and how it's just another example of BC breaking the rules and getting away with it. :roll:

My understanding of the CFL rules is that when a team is trying to get the ball in play, there can't be any music, etc. impeding them. We often have music playing while the opposing O is in the huddle, then cut it off when they break. After that it's all crowd noise. I do seem to recall the team having it's wrist slapped a couple of years ago for allowing to music to go on too long.

I think maybe other teams' fans underestimate how much noise our fans can make by themselves, with it bouncing off the dome.
Dome field advantage. 8)
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

its for the casual fan that doesnt know when to make noise
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

critics of the Lions have been accusing them of pumping in artificial crowd noise since the day the dome opened in 1983.

The argument is a joke in my books, mainly because of the poor sound system at BC Place. And if I recall, it actually used to be much worse until some recent improvements. Anyway just hearing how music and PA announcements bounces around, sounds tinny or distorted, etc., there is no way the Lions could pump fake cheering through the PA and have it sound authentic.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I'm just wondering about a common theme I've noticed on other team's message boards. They're constantly referring to us pumping in artificial crowd noise and how it's just another example of BC breaking the rules and getting away with it.
Let them think whatever they want. They will anyways and no explanation or whatever will convince them otherwise.

:bang:
chimpy

hey guy's i have a friend of mine who works at bc place and operating the sound system for lions games and he has told me there is no artifical crowed noise coming through the speakers what so ever, the only thing coming through those speakers is music and the annoucer.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Home field advantage. Plain and simple
LFITQ
Team Captain

So let me get this straight.

BC's O-linemen are dirty.
BC's Oline coach teaches dirty tactics.
BC's HC is dirty and allows dirty play to happen
BC's owner is dirty and controls the league and the commish
BC Place is dirty because it illegally pumps crowd noise in over the speakers
The CFL timekeepers in BC are dirty and routinely add time to the clock to help the Lions.
Lion82 is dirty because he didn't sign in Regina

What else am I missing?

Sheesh after that list of stuff, Eskies fans are going to be pissed. Compared to the Lions, the "Evil Empire" looks like Gilligan's Island. :lol:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
joesports
All Star

Lion Guy wrote:
I'm just wondering about a common theme I've noticed on other team's message boards. They're constantly referring to us pumping in artificial crowd noise and how it's just another example of BC breaking the rules and getting away with it.
Let them think whatever they want. They will anyways and no explanation or whatever will convince them otherwise.

:bang:

Exactly. I read other team's boards but would never post. It would be a no-win situation. :bang:
120dB
Legend

In the CFL the home team can be penalized if the referee notices that noise or music is being pumped through the PA system once the opposing team breaks the huddle.

There is no penalty in the CFL against the home team for the fans making as much noise as they want.

In the NFL, the home team CAN be penalized if the opposing team complains that the crowd is getting out of hand. Not the PA system, the actual fans. How often this rule is enforced in the NFL is another matter, rarely I suppose
Zarquon
Champion

It is funny that many Rider fans are proud of how loud Mosaic Stadium can get when they have a sold out crowd of 28K, but can not believe a crowd of 32K in a dome can make as much/more noise, let alone a crowd of 50K like in the western final last year.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

zarquon wrote:It is funny that many Rider fans are proud of how loud Mosaic Stadium can get when they have a sold out crowd of 28K, but can not believe a crowd of 32K in a dome can make as much/more noise, let alone a crowd of 50K like in the western final last year.
Prairie logic. the noise you will hear at Taylor Field in the next few weeks will be teeth chattering.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

joesports wrote:
Exactly. I read other team's boards but would never post. It would be a no-win situation. :bang:
Very wise. Just read, shake your head and laugh. That's all you can do. :wink:
Real women wear orange!!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:In the CFL the home team can be penalized if the referee notices that noise or music is being pumped through the PA system once the opposing team breaks the huddle.
I can remember on at least two occasions in the last decade or so that we have been flagged for "Illegal Use of Electronic Equipment". The rule states:
[RULE 1 – CONDUCT OF THE GAME, SECTION 7 – STARTING & TIMING,] Article 10 – Crowd Noise

The Team A captain may request the Referee to stop the game if excessive crowd noise prevents Team A from putting the ball into play. The Referee may permit Team A to return to its huddle. The Referee shall allow reasonable time but under no circumstances shall the play be delayed more than three times.

In the event that the home team permits in its stadium the use of either electronic equipment or high volume loudspeakers when the visiting team is attempting to put the ball in play, with the result that the game is delayed, the home team shall be subject to penalty for delay of game.

PENALTY: L10
120dB wrote:There is no penalty in the CFL against the home team for the fans making as much noise as they want.
As quoted above, an opposing offence can ask the ref for a timeout to stop the game if they don't like the noise, but they're only allowed to do it so many times and it rarely happens anyway because it only encourages fans to get louder. In the same vein, our PA announcer will occasionally remark, "Other teams think BC Place is too loud".
120dB wrote:In the NFL, the home team CAN be penalized if the opposing team complains that the crowd is getting out of hand. Not the PA system, the actual fans. How often this rule is enforced in the NFL is another matter, rarely I suppose
Really? But they're the league with helmet radios. What's the big deal? I suppose that rule would have been on the books since antiquity and they never bothered to repeal it when the radios came in.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
chimpy

you do not need artifical crowd in bc place when there is 30,000 or more.

Yeah i could see the artifical crowd noise when we were only getting 18,000 a game.
wildthing
All Star

IIRC sj is correct I can think of a few occassions where the Leos were flagged for using the PA system. But its few and far between and not an issue IMO. It must be obvious when it happens or the flags wouldn't fly