Official 2007-08 Vancouver Giants/WHL Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Vancouver Giants begin defense of their Memorial Cup title as they begin their WHL regular season tonight in Portland. We had some good discussions on this thread for their very dramatic year last season:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=10713

Let's use this thread to discuss their 2007-08 season starting tonight.

Who is planning to attend their home opener on Saturday evening, September 29? I assume at that game, there will be a ceremony to honour the previous season with three banners being raised: 1) B.C. Division Champions, 2) Western Conference Champions, and 3) Memorial Cup Champions. And unlike in the Lions home opener, the Giants will actually raise their banners at the game.

The Memorial Cup will be played in Kitchener in 2008, so the Giants will definitely need to win the WHL Championship to qualify for the tournament again.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Only the one banner is being put up on the 29th (Memorial Cup) the others'll be done at a later date.

For those who want to read about the G-Men, head over to my blog (Road Kill Sports) to read about them all year long

http://lf4l1994.blogspot.com
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
nelson95
Legend

Uh BC-Cgy Sept 29th

A little more important than the Giants game
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Bosco
Team Captain

Robbie wrote: I assume at that game, there will be a ceremony to honour the previous season with three banners being raised:.
Well Robbie, it's not a trophy presentation...but it's the next best thing. :wink:
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

nelson95 wrote:Uh BC-Cgy Sept 29th

A little more important than the Giants game
Amen to that.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A strong 6-2 win by the Giants over Portland in their season opener tonight.
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:Only the one banner is being put up on the 29th (Memorial Cup) the others'll be done at a later date.
I see.

This is what the banners will look like.

nelson95
Legend

Hope Lucic makes Boston

Go Tbirds
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Soundy
Hall of Famer

AH CRAP, didn't even notice the conflict... my buddy and I got a nine-game ticket pack for the Giants this year, including the home opener. Well, I won't be missing the Mem. Cup banner raising! Anyone need an extra ticket in Sec. 17? :)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
nelson95
Legend

Shame on you!!!
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Soundy
Hall of Famer

You wanna buy my ticket?

If not, shut up.

If I had a Giants game on the same night as the Lions' GC banner raising, I'd take the Lions game. In this case, I'm taking the MC banner raising. Deal with it.
(\__/)
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

Lets go Giants!! Lucic to be captain this year now that Festerling has gone. Lucic is awesome! :rockin: :thup:
Lets Go Lions!
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Lucic is missing the first couple games too, putting in some pre-season reps with the Bruins (the Boston variety, not the Chilliwack ones). MC MVP, Team Canada captain for the SuperSeries, Giants captain this year, a great camp with the Bruins... Milan is shaping up to a very promising career!
(\__/)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In the CFL Football forum, there's some discussion about how the Giants home opener on Saturday night will affect attendance for the Lions home game. Well, I just found out two other factors that may draw even more people to the Pacific Coliseum on Saturday night. On a side note, the Giants are now 3-0 after winning their first three road games to start the season.

The Giants will have two promotions for their home opener as stated on their web page:

#1.
Beginning at 3:00pm Saturday afternoon, you can enjoy FREE admission to Playland leading up to our home opener at 7:00pm. Simply show your ticket for Saturday’s game at the Playland gates and you’ll receive FREE admission to the park! Then you can make your way over to the Coliseum to watch your Vancouver Giants raise our Memorial Cup Championship Banner before we face-off against the Kelowna Rockets at 7:00pm.

#2.
The First 10,000 Fans To The Giants Home Opener Sept. 29 Will Receive A Free Replica Giants Memorial Cup Championship Banner.

I'm sure that replica banner giveaway will appeal to a lot of fans - more so that the Lions post-game poster giveaway. I know that one of you, Soundy, has already made up your mind to go to the Giants game instead.
chimpy

Don't worry the giants do not even come close to the lions in popularity, the lions right are the team the whole city is talking about, i was at the canucks game tonight and there must have been over 100 lions jersyes in the crowed, mostly geroy simmon on them, if that was the canucks starting this sat then you would have something to worry about.

The lions will get at least 33,000 and the most hopfully 35,000, but that has nothing to do with the giants, i went online today and you can still get very good tickets for that game, down in the lower bowl. so don't worry the giants have always come third in this city.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Hey, it wasn't the replica banner that sold me... it's the home opener and the MC banner raising. Like I said before, if it were reversed, I'd blow off my Giants ticket for a Lions' GC banner raising.

Besides, I get to park near the Coliseum for free - none of this $15 rape fee!
(\__/)