2007 U20 Canada/Russia Hockey Super Series

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The start of this tournament is now just nine days away. Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but so far there seems to be ZERO buzz for this event?

All the Cdn-based games are in the four western, mostly smaller, cities that have hosted a WJHC tournament in the last 20 years -- Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Red Deer and Vancouver. I suppose the fact that no games are scheduled for Toronto means less attention from the national media, but that should change as the team is scheduled to convene there on the 20th -- presumably for press conferences/media interviews/etc -- before departing on the 21st for a five-day training camp in Moscow.

I see the Russian team will be coached by former NHLer (and former Canuck) Sergei Nemchinov.

Sources: here and here
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
nelson95
Legend

Yawn

Not the same

We have a great junior tourny yearly. Why this?

I'd rather see allstar tournys of the 4 NA major junior leagues
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
LFITQ
Team Captain

Like Nelson95 said, we have the WJHC, this is just another useless tourny.

Secondly, we don't have the rivalry we once did with Russia. This is an attempt to rekindle the 70's and early 80's but doesn't even come close. We no longer view Russia as the big bad guys, if anything they are now viewed as our poorer long lost cousins.

If they really wanted to drum patriotism and hype then it would have been better to do it vs. the Yanks. But that might lose it's intensity.

Personally, I think this is just someone's (or multiple people's) idea at trying to relive the past. Trying to create some nostalgia for today. either that or Russian hockey needs some more $$ and they are getting a fair chunk of change out of this.

Sorry, but if I want a good U20 hockey series, call me at Xmas. Or better yet don't call me as I will be in front of the TV watching the games...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I know that this isn't close to what it was back in '72 but I'm still pretty excited about this series. Yeah it won't have as much intensity and it won't be as exciting as the WJC but this is still a great chance to see some very talented kids playing before they're NHL superstars. Getting the chance to see the likes of John Tavares and Alexei Cherepanov in person is just too tempting to pass up. I'll be getting my tickets soon.
nelson95
Legend

I didn't buy tix for gm 8 cause it will be nothing more than an exhibition by that point
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Nothing to see here, folks. Just keep moving along.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

This Russian team is not a good one as they were shellacked by the Canadians again tonight.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The Russians should prob bring their NHLers to make this interesting.

Does Brent Sutter know the meaning of the word lose? Pierre Maguire is already anointing him to coach our next Olympic team.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

You can't question his record to date. 17-0
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

What was the final? The last I heard it was 5-2 or something.. only 5 minutes in... :roll:

Canadians kick ass and allways have! :rockin:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:What was the final? The last I heard it was 5-2 or something.. only 5 minutes in... :roll:

Canadians kick ass and allways have! :rockin:
Canada won 8-1 tonight and have swept the first five games by an aggregate of 25-7. This is how it was supposed to be in 1972!

Sutter, his staff and the players will not consider these last three games a victory lap -- I think they really want to run the table on this now.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

is anyone going to the Vancouver one?
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I think "decimating" would be the proper term for what Team Canada are doing to the Russians.

Actually, I see a lot of talent on the Russian team... I think the problem, as the broadcast team (Peter Loubardias and Pierre McGuire) were noting this afternoon, is that Canada is playing as TEAM... the Russian boys aren't. It's not that we're so much better, it's that we play so much better TOGETHER - each Russian player is having to go up against 3-5 Canadians pretty much by himself (I say "3-5" because of the number of times we've been shorthanded, including some LONG 5-on-3s).
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

I'm going to the Vancouver game but I'm not as excited as I thought I would be.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

yeah im going as well, a once in a lifetime opportunity
2012 Season Ticket Holder