Simon traded to Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/82887

Some highlights from an amazing press conference. I've never seen anything like it. Wow.

If ya gotta go, and least for now, this is how to do it.

On the righthand side ... "Buono and Simon Trade Reaction"

This is a screenshot from the video. No point in pressing the button in the middle. :wink: Check the video on the url above.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree with Jaimie, Simon's biggest contribution might be to tutor the Riders' receiving corp.
Blitz
Team Captain

I think you have to look at what our Leos management and staff tried to do re: Geroy coming back here to B.C.

Essentially, they were willing to pay Geroy over $100,000 a season to be our fifth receiver. When in the two back set we would have gone with two imports and two Canadians and Geroy would play in the five receiver set. It would have enabled Geroy to set the receptions by a receiver record while still a Leo, still get a lot of action, enabled him to play a mentor role with our receivers, and even possibly led to a coaching position.

However, Geroy wanted to be an every down player and the go to guy. Last season, as the season progressed, our offence adapted to not having Geroy as our primary receiver as often. As Geroy was having difficulty beating people deep or getting separation as often, it became a necessity. However, Lulay still looked to Geroy often as his first option.

Geroy will help the Riders. He could have continued to help us here. However, he wanted to be an every down receiver, our primary receiver, and to receive the salary that went with that role.

Geroy will not be the primary receiver in Saskatchewan. Dressler will remain in that role. However, Geroy will likely get more reps there than he would have gotten here..but we are in the five reciever set a lot.

I really believe that we tried to accommodate Geroy and keep him as a Leo...within the restrains that we had (salary cap...eg: Lulay's new contract, need for a free agent lineman or two) and the fact that he will be 38 this season and his role in our offence needed to change from being our go to receiver. Geroy saw it differently. He will be motivated to prove us wrong.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As indicated a few times, I agree with Wally's approach to this situation, and I agree with his decisions, and I agree with how this was handled. It doesn't make me happy.

But the press conference goes a long way to healing. Both Wally and Geroy (and the organization) have handled it very well.

I understand both sides. How can one deny that Geroy should earn $165,000 this year, if that is the going rate for his services? (For his family, for his future.) And how could the Lions pay him anywhere near that? I don't think they could.

So Geroy will go to the Riders. He may well have a 1,000 yard year. That would be very cool. And he may play for two more years. Or his body might show his age a bit. Dunno ...

But I fully expect Geroy to be on the Lions' Wall of Honour, to have his number retired here, to return here to live, and to go straight into the Hall of Fame.

Geroy showed a lot of emotion, and he showed a lot of ability to hold back the outright tears and stuff. He practically said he loved Wally. He did say Wally was like a Dad to him. He showed a lot of emotion for his teammates, the organization, the fans, the city. I couldn't ask for more.

I can deal with it.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I would guess he had a look at how the Lions marginalized Paris Jackson and felt that is was not for him.

Two key statements for me:
"I was prepared to take a diminished role but not on (that) level," Simon said. "That's where the disconnect was."It was a like a marriage that had run its course. Better to get a divorce now while the two sides remained friends than risk turning into enemies.
Simon isn't sure what role Saskatchewan has in mind for him. "That's the risk you take when you change," he said. "Change can be a good thing and it can be a bad thing. I was willing to take that risk.
But if the Jason Clermont case had come to his mind - this might not be pretty other than he will have a lot more money even though he'll need a place to live on it. I felt they marginalized Clermont too soon. Made a big deal of his signing and then IIRC - Clermont went from what a team guy who was organizing REC meetings at his home to riding the pine with only a few shots (far short of his talent level) at actual playing.

If you are on a very good contract and not putting up the numbers that sort of thing can get ugly real fast.

The issue it is seems how wild the HC is in Sask and his QB Durrant who can be in my view a sulky dude versus Brendan Taman who paid far more for Geroy than he likely needed. We all know even a HC can say, wow and then do nothing with him.

I admire Geroy for believing he can play at the high level and taking his chances. That shows he is a pro and is not going to let the Lions put him in a box or do PJ to him or what they had in mind for Angus Reid a few years back - phase him out.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Any player who think he can no longer contribute is not worth keeping.
Blitz
Team Captain

If we were writing the movie...

There is 4 seconds left on the game clock as Travis Lulay breaks the huddle in the 2013 Grey Cup game. The jam packed crowd in Regina is on their feet as Angus Reid prepares to snap the football on the Hamilton 27 yard line. The Tiger Cats have a 5 point lead and are one play away from winning the Grey Cup.

Lulay barks out the signals from the shotgun as he surveys the defense. The ball is snapped and immediately Lulay is under extreme pressure as Dean Valli misses his block. But Lulay slides to his left. The Hamilton tackler has an arm wrapped around Lulay's leg. Lulay throws the football deep into the end zone. His target - Geroy Simon, who is double covered. But somehow, Simon leaps and extends and ,somehow, comes down with the football and holds on as he is hit by both Hamilton defenders.

The Lions bench goes wild as Simon runs to the 55 yard line, kisses the turf, and then stands on the CFL logo in his Superman pose. Suddenly a bright light shines down from the sky and while still in his Superman pose, Geroy Simon slowly ascends into heaven, as the crowd looks on in awe.

However, life isn't a movie. Instead aging stars leave the game, leaving footprints of their playing days behind them. Some leave the game reluctantly, with new teams giving them a second chance at fighting the inevitable..... while new stars take their place. Its not the way movies are written. However, its the more realistic ending.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Geroy greeted at the airport by Rider fans yesterday as he arrives for a whirlwind tour of Regina today.
Simon says he is excited to be a Rider

By Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post

Geroy Simon already has a touchdown as a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

The CFL's career receiving-yardage leader landed at Regina International Airport on Sunday afternoon, whereupon he was welcomed by an enthusiastic coterie of Rider fans.

The immediate, impassioned response offered a hint of what Simon can anticipate today, when he will be the central figure in a whirlwind tour of Regina. In addition to meeting with the Riders' staff, Simon will conduct interviews with the media and interact with fans.

"I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm excited,'' Simon, whom the Riders acquired from the B.C. Lions on Thursday, said following a flight from Vancouver to Regina.

"I was excited to get up this morning and get to the airport. I'm usually the last one to get to the airport. Today, I was there almost two hours early, just to get settled in and ready for the flight. I'm really excited about the opportunity.''

Saskatchewan fans will have their first formal opportunity to meet Simon today at the Mosaic Stadium branch of the Rider Store. An autograph and picture session is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m., and last 90 minutes.

"I'm looking forward to it,'' Simon said. "It has been kind of up and down the last couple of days, but I was looking forward to the opportunity to get here. Now that I'm here, I'm anxious to see what tomorrow brings.''

Some fans were so anxious to see Simon that they headed to the airport on Sunday after making an educated guess as to when he might arrive.

Simon offered a hint on his Facebook page on Sunday, posting a message that read "Regina I'm ready for you! See you in a few hrs.''

Carmen Buschow saw that posting and promptly visited the Regina Airport Authority's website. She noticed that a non-stop Air Canada flight from Vancouver was to arrive at 4: 31 p.m., and impulsively altered her day accordingly.

"I was in the front shovelling snow and she said, 'Let's go to the airport,' '' said Lennie Pander, Buschow's husband.

Lennie and Carmen were joined at the terminal by their eight-year-old daughter, Rema Buschow-Pander, who was the first to get Simon's autograph when he reached the arrivals area.

For the record, Rema's mother was the first fan to have her picture taken with Simon.

"I loved him as a player even when he was in B.C.,'' Buschow said. "When I heard that the Riders had traded for him, I thought, 'Fabulous!'

"This is epic for the Riders.''

Her husband was quick to concur.

"So what if he's 37?'' Lennie said. "This is a huge signing. He'll be great working with the young guys and he'll make everyone better.

"He's a true gentleman.'' True to form, Simon handled his departure from B.C. in gentlemanly fashion.

Some other players in Simon's situation may have responded with vitriol, the byproduct of a bruised ego. Simon, by contrast, took the high road - as in 38,000 feet - out of Vancouver.

"This opportunity is strictly about football,'' he said. "In this city, football is king and this is a place that I wanted to play, and hopefully we can bring a Grey Cup to this city.''

The process of bringing Simon to this city began in December, when the Lions and Roughriders first discussed a possible deal. By then, it was clear to Simon and Lions general manager Wally Buono that there were contrasting expectations regarding the receiver's role and remuneration. When a compromise could not be reached, Buono gave Simon and his agent (Dan Vertlieb of Core Sports Group) permission to contact other teams.

Roughriders general manager Brendan Taman ended up presenting an opportunity that intrigued Simon. Taman then acquired Simon for receiver Justin Harper and a third-round pick in the 2014 CFL draft.

"I'd be lying if I said that it's going to be an easy transition,'' Simon said on Sunday. "I've been a Lion for 12 years and now to make the switch, it's going to take some time, but I'm really excited about it and I'm really excited to see what Regina has to offer.''

Simon is already familiar with Regina, having visited Mosaic Stadium on a regular basis since making his CFL debut with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 1999.

After two seasons with Winnipeg, Simon signed with B.C. as a free agent and began charting a course that will ultimately lead to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

As a Lion, he registered nine successive 1,000-yard seasons (beginning in 2003) and was named a West Division all-star on seven occasions. A six-time CFL all-star, he was decorated as the league's most outstanding player in 2006 - when he also played for a Grey Cup champion for the first time. He again helped the Lions win Earl Grey's mug in 2011.

Along the way, Simon has heard from vociferous Roughriders fans, who customarily save some of their best lines for the most prominent members of rival teams.

"Even though I get booed a lot when I come here, the fans have been really great to me, being a player that's on the opposing side,'' Simon said. "Anytime that I've met anybody who's from Regina or cheers for the Riders, they say, 'We hate you because you've done well against us, but we love you because you've been a great player over the years.' ''

Simon's greatness is reflected by the numbers.

He is atop the league's all-time receiving-yardage list, with 15,787. With 989 receptions, he is poised to leapfrog Terry Vaughn (1,006) and Ben Cahoon (1,017) and move into first overall in that category.

At one time, it was inconceivable that Simon would establish the receptions record in any uniform but that of the Lions. But this is the CFL, and professional sports, so the unforeseen can materialize. Simon attributes the upheaval to the "business side of things.''

His arrival will certainly be good for business from the Roughriders' perspective. They will derive some additional revenues when he appears at The Store today. The team's profile will be further enhanced when he reaches the 1,000-catch milestone en route to bypassing Vaughn and Cahoon.

Simon may hit the magical 1,000 figure today, based on the number of autographs signed or photographs taken. You can tell that he is prepared to immerse himself in football, Saskatchewan style. When asked what excited him the most about playing here, he responded: "The fans. They're all about the Riders.''

That was obvious at the airport on Sunday. rvanstone@leaderpost.com

© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/VANSTO ... z2JHcvXAUc
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

That is a pretty cool article, Sammy. Thanks.

Way to go, Geroy. Enjoy the Green fanatics. :thup:
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

A classy player making a classy departure. Regrettable but it seems like a good business decision for all concerned.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Geroy has told Regina media today he will soon be moving there with his family. I haven't seen it reported yet but two of his best friends happen to live there — Barron Miles and Jason Clermont. I believe he was in JC's wedding party. The Miles and Simon families are also very close. They coached their two boys in Cloverdale Minor Football until Barron got the job with the Riders last year.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Geroy has told Regina media today he will soon be moving there with his family. I haven't seen it reported yet but two of his best friends happen to live there — Barron Miles and Jason Clermont. I believe he was in JC's wedding party. The Miles and Simon families are also very close. They coached their two boys in Cloverdale Minor Football until Barron got the job with the Riders last year.
Regina, the Riders and Riders fans being the way they are, they are already earning back some of the extra dollars going Geroy's way.

Interesting that Geroy is moving his family there. That makes him a Rider fast. They will be embraced.
Zarquon
Champion

Geroy did say in his interview on Team 1040 though that he will be still coming back to live in Vancouver during the Off Season.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
Blitz
Team Captain

Willes: Geroy Simon’s trade could be poor final act to his CFL career

By Ed Willes, The ProvinceJanuary 27, 2013

In honour of the NFL's Pro Bowl, here's something else no one pays attention to: the Monday morning musings and meditations on the world of sports.

After 12 seasons with the B.C. Lions, Geroy Simon certainly earned the right to leave on his own terms but there's still something about his decision which doesn't sit right.

Money, we're told, wasn't the problem, largely because his off-field endorsements in the Lower Mainland would have compensated for any haircut he'd receive in re-signing with the Lions.

That leaves his much-debated role with the team to examine and that's where things get murky.

At 37, there were questions about whether he could contribute at his customary level. But if Simon still believes he's a “1,500-yard receiver,” why didn't he demonstrate that to the Lions' coaching staff?

Admittedly, we weren't privy to the conversations between Wally Buono and Simon but it just doesn't figure the great receiver was told explicitly, he couldn't compete for the feature receiver role. During the Buono era the Lions have been about winning. That has meant putting the best players in the best position to succeed. If Simon was still the team's best option as the feature receiver, you have to believe he would have been given that opportunity.

Simon became the CFL's all-time leader in receiving yards because, first and foremost, he's a ferocious competitor. Clearly, things had changed for him but if he could still deliver the goods, he'd get his opportunities with the Lions. Now, he's going to Saskatchewan and a system and players with which he isn't familiar.

Sorry, it just doesn't seem like the best decision for the final act of his brilliant career.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wille ... z2JJVhm9gv
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I honestly wish Geroy Simon well and hope this works out well for him, his family and the Riders. Not a GC or beating the Lions but definitely I hope this works out.

Not sure of Willes comment that Geroy could make up that lost money off field. He might - but is that not a bit speculative.

This is actually a good off season story for the CFL. Let's hope for Simon's sake the Clermont outcome isn't part of it.

It is ironic but fans today who are far, far more partisan than when I was a young fan have so quickly embraced Simon but then again - there , football as one story says is king. It's been years since the Lions were no. 1 in this province and news of a big trade or firing a coach would be huge here like in Sask.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy