Lions extend Lulay through 2015

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dtrain
Starter

I hope the news of Geroy also signing is following soon.
While his stock is down, in the sunset of his career (insert your own cliche here), he is still a valuable part of this team as far as this long time orange blooded fan is concerned.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

dtrain wrote:I hope the news of Geroy also signing is following soon.
While his stock is down, in the sunset of his career (insert your own cliche here), he is still a valuable part of this team as far as this long time orange blooded fan is concerned.
Simon isn't a free agent. If anything he will be re-negotiated or released.
David
Team Captain

Very happy for Travis. First class individual, tireless worker in the community, and a great face for the franchise. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
dtrain
Starter

Blue In BC wrote:
you sure about that?
he's been doing one year deals for a couple years now.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Pleasant way to start off the day. Open the email account and there is a message stating about Lulay's extension. Not surprising if money is no object. I think this will always be the tough part of doing a GM job. I mean even if a player is good enough and loyal, you got to let him go because he simply makes too much. So, keeping/signing QB's is obviously important in any football league but Lulay I think is making a wise choice here.

Yes, there is some changes and this maybe one of those odd times when a player like him/Mike Reilly would get a longer look down south in the NFL. As a Lions fan, I am happy and wish Lulay and the LIons the best for the upcoming season.......
JohnHenry
Champion

Blue In BC wrote:We don't really know the details or wording. I read on another site that the $450K was in year 3. It's possible that he might have incentive clauses that might earn him that much in 2013 and 2014 with 1st place or Grey Cup wins etc.

I can't imagine a base salary for any QB at $450K in the SMS era.

Good for him being well paid but highest paid player in the CFL seems unrealistic IMO. If he stays healthy he could have a long career and become one of the best to have played in the CFL. However, over the next 3 seasons is he the best QB now?

Lulay ranked 3rd in yardage in 2012. Burris had 16 more TD's and a better QB rating. R Ray won the Grey Cup and we'd be hard pressed to have said that Toronto was a better team in 2012 than the Lions. While Toronto ultimately deserved to win GC 2012, they got there because of R Ray and won largely because of R Ray.

Expectations will be very high and anything less than a 1st place finish will be disappointing. I'm anxious to see what Lulay can do in his 3rd year as a starter.
We should remember the SMS has gone up $100,000 over the past two years. That extra $100k could bump up Travis' salary from $350k to $450k and the remaining players could still be paid the same. But Geroy's $190k could become $90k and Arland's $140k could become $90k...or they could be replaced by guys making $50k? So I don't think Lulay's contract will be an impediment for the Lions. Ricky Ray was paid a reported $515,000 in 2010, which was under the SMS. Edm did reduce Ray's salary in 2011 but more because Tillman thought RR was declining (he tried to trade him to Hamilton in 2011.)

CFL contracts are normally reported as "maximum" salaries. We don't really know Lulay's base salary or for any player. But one player, Ricky Foley, did publicize the details of his contract which showed a $150k base salary (including roster bonuses) but only modest incentives, (i.e. $5k for league Allstar, $10k for DMOP). It was also said that Ray's reported contract figures were essentially his base salary, his incentives were already built in. We have no reason to believe that Travis' contract is much different. I'd be surprised if his base salary is below $400k in any year of his deal. Travis' salary was reported as "in excess of $450,000".

Burris started all 18 games last year and passed for 299 yds per game. Travis missed about 3 games and averaged 282 yds per game. Not a big difference. Burris' backups got 0 yards passing while the Lions' backups passed for 773 yards and 4 Td's. The Lions also had the top rushing attack in the league, with Travis chipping in 477 yards and 3 Tds while Burris rushed 343 yards and 0 Tds. Burris also fumbled 24 times over the past two seasons, Travis only 4 times. Then there's the sacks and Travis' ability to scramble away from pressure...Burris, not so much. Travis also throws the ball away to avoid sacks, probably more often than any QB I can remember, which diminishes his QB Rating, but it was still over 100 last season. :thup:

:roar:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/lulay-this-is-my-home-now
Travis Lulay Extends with Lions

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Lulay: 'This is my home now'

Posted: January 17, 2013 05:00 PM

VANCOUVER -- The B.C Lions gave Travis Lulay's career a lifeline in 2009, taking a chance on a quarterback who had bounced around down south when it seemed few other teams were interested.

Now a star in the CFL, Lulay rewarded the Lions for their loyalty on Thursday by signing a new three-year contract with the club.

"I was on my last legs as a pro, and if I didn't make team in that training camp in '09, I probably would have been done at that point in time,'' Lulay said. "To have been given the opportunity at that point in time, I'm forever grateful to Wally (Buono, the team's general manager and former coach) for just getting me on the field.

"I believed that I could play as long as someone would agree with me.''

The deal, announced at a morning news conference at a downtown Vancouver hotel, helps avoid a potentially difficult situation as the Lions start to gear up for the 2013 season. As a rule, Buono does not let players in key positions play out the option year of their contracts.

An easy decision

"It's much easier to commit to an organization that you truly believe has a chance to win a championship year in and year out. That's the expectation around here.''

- BC Lions QB Travis Lulay

Lulay risked being traded if he chose not to sign. But he said it was easy to agree to the new contract, which includes two years plus an option.

The 29-year-old Oregon native put a long-term deal on hold last year in case he wanted to pursue NFL options. He joined the Lions after a second unsuccessful stint with the Seattle Seahawks and another with the New Orleans Saints between 2006 and 2009 after completing his collegiate career at Montana State.

"This is home now,'' Lulay said.

He decided to stick with B.C. after guiding the Lions to a first place finish in the West Division last season. In addition to increased financial security, the chance to contend for another championship.

He was with the club when it struggled in 2009 and 2010, the year he replaced Casey Printers as starter after the former CFL outstanding player was released for throwing his helmet on the ground in a temper tantrum.

Lulay believes the Lions have a great chance to continue the success they have had the past two seasons, and he did not want to miss it.

"You don't want to look back and have what ifs,'' Lulay said. "I can comfortably say that I won't at this point in time. I know that this is a decision that's right for me and my family, and I'm really excited about it.

"My decisions don't just affect me anymore. It's obviously about my wife and my (baby) daughter at this point in time.''

Lulay threw for 4,231 yards and 27 touchdowns on 346 completions in 2012 while earning a second consecutive spot on the West Division All-Star squad.

In 2011, he guided the Lions to a Grey Cup title and was named the CFL's most outstanding player as well as the MVP in the championship game. He is looking forward to the chance to get back to the title game.

"It's much easier to commit to an organization that you truly believe has a chance to win a championship year in and year out,'' he said. "That's the expectation around here.''

Lulay was hampered by an injury to his throwing shoulder late in the 2012 season. But he indicated there is little trouble with it now, and he feels as healthy as he ever has in January after a punishing season.

Earlier this week, he was at the team's Surrey, B.C., training facility pushing a heavy truck tire around on snow with teammates Rolly Lumbala and Shawn Gore as part of their off-season training regimen.

"Knowing that we're going to have Travis Lulay behind centre gives us a tremendous chance to win, a tremendous chance to stay consistent, compete, find a way to get better and play at a high level,'' said coach Mike Benevides.

"This is an elite person. It's an elite quarterback. It's a guy who knows how to win, has a tremendous work ethic and is a kind of guy that I want leading our team.''

Typically, the quarterback is the highest-paid player on a team. Financial terms of Lulay's contract were not disclosed, but Buono said Lulay's deal will not prevent him from signing other key players.

Buono praised Lulay's truck-pushing efforts and his desire to remain a Lion. The GM believes "the best is yet to come'' from his starting quarterback.

Lulay questioned Buono's claim that this contract will likely be the last of his career, but is prepared to stay with Lions for the long-term.

"There's so much uncertainty in sport,'' said Lulay. "You (media) guys understand that. But if I were to be here for the rest of my career, I'd be a happy guy.''
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

dtrain wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:
you sure about that?
he's been doing one year deals for a couple years now.
He isn't listed as a free agent. I always took his year to year deal meaning that he is in his option year every off season and " extended " to a new 1 + 1 deal.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

John Henry, it's only my opinion but I'd be surprised if Lulays base was $400K. The SMS has been going up, but other players also get signed to new deals and get more money. If that's what he got, all the power to him.

I've heard different things in the media. One that Lulay was the highest paid player in the CFL and another saying he's among the highest paid players in the CFL. I'm all for him being well paid but don't feel he should be the highest paid player in the CFL.

Regardless. R Ray may have gotten $510K in 2010 but the Esks were not a good team. The more money one guy gets the less there is for other players. Sometimes it works out for a team ( Argos in 2012 ) but more often than not it can be a problem in being able to keep other talent / depth ( Hamilton 2012 ). The QB is still only one guy.

I don't think the Lions will have to rip the rest of their roster apart. There are several players which will be leaving due to injury history and a few free agents. OTOH, this may force a few harder decisions to be made on guys like SImon and Bruce although those financial decisions may have come into play inspite of Lulays's new deal.

IIRC both Harris and Bighill got new deals. I'm just guessing but they my have gotten another $40K-$50K each?

It all adds up.

BTW: Yes Lulay missed 3 games but my point about Burris was that he threw 43 TD's and Lulay threw 27. That's 16 more TD's in 3 games over 50% more than Lulay's season. The Ticats finished out of the playoffs but Burris had a good year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The release of Arland Bruce and Byron Parker will free up $$$$ to sign free agents.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The release of Arland Bruce and Byron Parker will free up $$$$ to sign free agents.
The Lions won't necessarily need or look to free agency to fill these two spots. Those players are already on the roster and there isn't exactly another A Bruce going into free agency.

The reality is that both of thse players joined the Lions towards the end of their careers and were never part of a long term plan.

Bruce had the most success and was a very good addition when he joined the team. Parker was a very experienced veteran.

Both were class guys.
joe kapp22
Legend

This is great news, you have to have your Qb, we have found ours in Travis Lulay.

With that out of the way we can focus on fixing the OL. :good:
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.