Has the volume of advertising gone too far?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

zark
Champion

Well...WTF was that? Have another beer dude, or some BC bud.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

beaglehound wrote:
Anglophone wrote:You remind me of my father. Every time he sees the Stanley Cup logo flash on the screen when they go to commercials during the NHL playoffs, he complains about it as if he were personally harmed from seeing something.

Perhaps you should buy the advertising space and have it removed that way.

Do you object to commercial breaks during television on such grounds? After all, you're being "forced" to view them.
Find a dictionary or go on line and look up the word "moderation".....that's mod-er-ay-shun, in case you cannot say the word. While you're at it look up the word "volume" as in "vah- lewm" I did not say I was opposed to advertising. I asked if the volume of advertising had gone to far. What part of the question did you not understand? Ask your father. He can help you. While you're at it have him explain what a PVR is. :tease:
Thank you for the test B' dog! I did pass just fine and it was a reassurance I can still get the green lights from the red and the amber.

While we get your point you - to be somewhat nit picky and having fun - are perhaps using the word "volume" inappropriately. You mean "amount" of ads and we do get it. I find that TV commercials sound like they are coming to me at a higher volume than the show leaving me to get the usual complaint from my wife that the TV is too loud. I also would like a lower amount of time for commercials but the reality is that without ads - no shows.

I liked the figures of seats having to be sold - Lions vs Canucks as another way of presenting the issue even if it is not a great comparison. The number of games and visits by rival teams in the Canucks group allows non-corporate fans (some I know ) to share the tickets with friends and get the balance of the games on TV. That doesn't work with the home dates in the CFL and it certainly muddies it up come play offs as it is one game knock out in the CFL.

I see the Whitecaps have said (and I think the Lions too) that they are not opening up more stadium seats just to accommodate fans who want to come to some special game like a Beckham visit. That certainly is not fan friendly and not in keeping with the spirit of the tax paying community who rebuilt this place - but understandable if you want to keep your per seat price higher and force fans to scramble for tickets. That was certainly in the Lions thinking when they went back to Empire - only problem was that fans waxing so eloquently for days they thought were so good in the great outdoors didn't do the mad scramble to grab all tickets as that location is good only for cars.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
beaglehound
Starter

"While we get your point you - to be somewhat nit picky and having fun - are perhaps using the word "volume" inappropriately. " ...by Toppy Vann

Really Toppy? You and Anglophone are not by chance related are you? He was struggling with that word too.

* Note #4 below....

a. A collection of written or printed sheets bound together; a book.
b. One of the books of a work printed and bound in more than one book.
c. A series of issues of a periodical, usually covering one calendar year.
d. A unit of written material assembled together and cataloged in a library.
2. A roll of parchment; a scroll.
3. Abbr. V
a. The amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object or region of space, expressed in cubic units.
b. The capacity of such a region or of a specified container, expressed in cubic units.
a. Amount; quantity: a low volume of business; a considerable volume of lumber.
b. A large amount. Often used in the plural: volumes of praise.
a. The amplitude or loudness of a sound.
b. A control, as on a radio, for adjusting amplitude or loudness.

"I also would like a lower amount of time for commercials but the reality is that without ads - no shows."....by Toppy Vann

I'm quite sure that if you read all of my postings on the subject you'll find nowhere did I say to get rid of advertising completely and nowhere did I say that advertising was not an important revenue source. My subject question has always been about excess. Some posters who choose not to read the entire posts and who already have their minds made up immediately go off on a tangent and start justifying the need for advertising. The question isn't about need but about excess. I've always been in agreement that advertising and sponsorship is a necessary part of sports etc. My concern is how advertising is being used in excess to increase the bottom line: aka profit margin.

One poster pointed out [on another forum or this one, can't remember] how advertising on players' jerseys in Europe has gone over the top where the jerseys are plastered with company logos. I would not want to see that ever happen in the CFL and I know many other fans would not want to. The question is, "Could it happen?" Yes, in time it could.

Advertising is part of the free enterprise system. If I want to minimize the "volume" of ad exposure on my TV I record the program using my PVR and breeze through the ads or if it's a movie I have the option of pay per view. In an earlier post I said that I would be willing to pay more for my seasons tickets if it meant less adverts so there is more emphasis on the game [You basically poo pooed that]. I've said that I don't need to hear on the radio that it is another Purolator first down in the Chevrolet red zone. It's not. It's a BC Lions first down or Saskatchewan Roughriders first down. Let's keep it about football. I'm going to a football game, not an Advertising Conference. You said that if ticket prices go up then some less fortunates might not be able to afford to go in today's slow economy. What else is new Toppy? It has always been that way- and not just sports. It's called prioritizing. There are lots of things I cannot afford to so I can't go. That is why I don't go to NHL games. I don't even go to single games and yet I'll be watching a game on the tube and see some 6 year old and his brother sitting in front row seats stuffing their little faces with popcorn or other snacks oblivious to the game. Good for them that mom and dad can afford such a luxury. But if someone is trying to make a convincing argument that ticket prices to a Canucks game are low and this is because of the advertising revenue then they must be on something.

I've said it before; there is huge money in advertising which is why companies like Budweiser are willing to pay millions of dollars for a 30 second spot during the Super Bowl. That's millions! Companies are willing to rent advertising space at sporting events because there is a captive audience of thousands for about 4 hours. They have little control over what they're being exposed to and how frequently and the means. I've never debated that some of the revenue generated goes towards sustaining a club's existence. But at what point does it become overkill and too much? When will you finally decide that enough is enough? When you find it difficult reading the number on the player's jersey? When injured players are driven off the field in golf carts adorned with company logos? When players and coaches are required to mention company names during interviews? When the playing surface is plastered with company logos from goal line to goal line? When is too much too much? I ask these questions to simply point out that if advertising is the sustainer of the CFL's existence then why are there regulations still in place limiting the size and number of decals on a player's jersey? There should be no regulations at all other than prohibiting adult content. This goes for the rest of the stadium in my opinion. Advertising is huge business. The NFL knows it. The NHL knows it. And so does the CFL. European leagues sure know it! It is not going to go away but it can be kept to a reasonable level where the fans are not being exploited every time they come to a game. If it doesn't bother you that's fine. It does bother me which is why I posed the question. In my opinion it is not all about sustaining a league's existence. Hockey players do not need to get paid $110 million over 14 years. They do not need to be getting 4, 5 and 6 $million per season. That is simply insane. But they demand it and they get it. Why? Because the revenue generated is phenomenal and the players want their share of the pie. That is a different topic for a different day.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The way I look at some of these things I figure anybody noticing the game day advertising enough to have issue with it probably isn't paying much attention to the game itself. My focus is on the players, coaches and game itself. I find myself pretty much oblivious to most of the advertising efforts with the exception of the ones where a contest is being run down on field level during a TV timeout. I couldn't tell you what sponsors or advertisers logos are on those sideline boards. I just had to check some pictures I took at the season opener to see who might be showing. Not surprisingly some of the usual suspects like Telus and Nissan were there but I was also pleased to see the likes of "Right To Play" and one that seems to be a pet Lion thing this year "End Violence Against Women" were also prominently displayed.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Buonosjanet69
Starter

just get smashed at the game, there's a solution.

Advertising less noticed, the hard hits and cheerleaders more...
beaglehound
Starter

Hambone wrote:The way I look at some of these things I figure anybody noticing the game day advertising enough to have issue with it probably isn't paying much attention to the game itself. My focus is on the players, coaches and game itself. I find myself pretty much oblivious to most of the advertising efforts with the exception of the ones where a contest is being run down on field level during a TV timeout. I couldn't tell you what sponsors or advertisers logos are on those sideline boards. I just had to check some pictures I took at the season opener to see who might be showing. Not surprisingly some of the usual suspects like Telus and Nissan were there but I was also pleased to see the likes of "Right To Play" and one that seems to be a pet Lion thing this year "End Violence Against Women" were also prominently displayed.

I agree with some of your comments hambone but not with, "The way I look at some of these things I figure anybody noticing the game day advertising enough to have issue with it probably isn't paying much attention to the game itself"

Personally I, like youself, try to pay close attention to the game itself. I try to "look beyond" all of the clutter but simply resent the overkill exposure. Remember that advertising is intended to persuade by reinforcement. Sometimes it is subtle as in which cup is the donut under game that 25,000 people have their eyes fixed to. The power of suggestion has already served its purpose albeit in a fun sort of way.

I personally would like to see those stupid boards that line both of the sidelines gone. Players are forever crashing into them or having to jump over them. One day a player is going to twist or break his ankle doing that. Already one player had his neck lacerated a few seasons ago.

Perhaps much of what I'm saying has to do with maintaining a decorum of the sporting event itself. When you go to the symphony or a musical play you are not subjected to masses of adverts in the concert hall.

If it isn't a distraction to you at the games and you do not feel it is exploitation that's fine. But please don't suggest that because it does bug some other people that it must be because they are not paying attention to the game.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:The way I look at some of these things I figure anybody noticing the game day advertising enough to have issue with it probably isn't paying much attention to the game itself. My focus is on the players, coaches and game itself. I find myself pretty much oblivious to most of the advertising efforts with the exception of the ones where a contest is being run down on field level during a TV timeout. I couldn't tell you what sponsors or advertisers logos are on those sideline boards. I just had to check some pictures I took at the season opener to see who might be showing. Not surprisingly some of the usual suspects like Telus and Nissan were there but I was also pleased to see the likes of "Right To Play" and one that seems to be a pet Lion thing this year "End Violence Against Women" were also prominently displayed.
Exactly right!
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

beaglehound wrote:
Anglophone wrote:You remind me of my father. Every time he sees the Stanley Cup logo flash on the screen when they go to commercials during the NHL playoffs, he complains about it as if he were personally harmed from seeing something.

Do you object to commercial breaks during television on such grounds? After all, you're being "forced" to view them.
Find a dictionary or go on line and look up the word "moderation".....that's mod-er-ay-shun, in case you cannot say the word. While you're at it look up the word "volume" as in "vah- lewm" I did not say I was opposed to advertising. I asked if the volume of advertising had gone to far. What part of the question did you not understand? Ask your father. He can help you. While you're at it have him explain what a PVR is. :tease:
No need to get personal here, keep to discussing football please.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Exactly right!
+3
beaglehound
Starter

Rammer wrote:
beaglehound wrote:

No need to get personal here, keep to discussing football please.
Great suggestion! Let's hope everyone does their part!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yes, I fully agree with these sentiments.

Beagledog has raised a good question and for those posting on this site most agree that we don't want it too go so far as soccer in the UK where the names on the jerseys are bizzare but my sense is that we are far from that kind of thinking in North America.

I tune out ads in the newspaper and on TV so that when I need something I usually have to go back into the same newspaper and search for ads as I miss them.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy