Bombers No Help

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
jcalhoun wrote:I'm usually a fairly considerate guy, but I was once in the "10 items or less" aisle and overshot the mark by one or two --quite accidentally. The woman in line behind me scolded me, and I just wasn't in the mood for it, so I responded with, "it should read 10 items or fewer --when they can take the time to put up a grammatically correct sign, I'll take the time to count my items". Completely shut her up. I mentally made the first down signal, and turned to check out.

Cheers,

James
I've seen some places where they put "about" in front of the cutoff number, which makes it almost meaningless. And then there's the issue of exactly what is meant by "item". Some places give quantity price breaks — Weston chains (no frills, superstore, extra foods, etc) are noteworthy in this regard — so does it count as one item whether I buy 3/$5.00 or 1/$1.99? What about the person who buys a 2 L Pepsi? Does he get a break over the person who buys a 1 L Pepsi and a 1 L Mountain Dew for variety's sake? So many grey areas. :dizzy:
Save yourself the counting and whether a set of three items counts as one, just use the self checkout lineup, of course if you are KIA it may be difficult to enter that line. :tease:
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
jcalhoun wrote:I'm usually a fairly considerate guy, but I was once in the "10 items or less" aisle and overshot the mark by one or two --quite accidentally. The woman in line behind me scolded me, and I just wasn't in the mood for it, so I responded with, "it should read 10 items or fewer --when they can take the time to put up a grammatically correct sign, I'll take the time to count my items". Completely shut her up. I mentally made the first down signal, and turned to check out.

Cheers,

James
I've seen some places where they put "about" in front of the cutoff number, which makes it almost meaningless. And then there's the issue of exactly what is meant by "item". Some places give quantity price breaks — Weston chains (no frills, superstore, extra foods, etc) are noteworthy in this regard — so does it count as one item whether I buy 3/$5.00 or 1/$1.99? What about the person who buys a 2 L Pepsi? Does he get a break over the person who buys a 1 L Pepsi and a 1 L Mountain Dew for variety's sake? So many grey areas. :dizzy:
Save yourself the counting and whether a set of three items counts as one, just use the self checkout lineup, of course if you are KIA it may be difficult to enter that line. :tease:
Yeah, I always use the self checkouts if they're there, but even those have item limits — at least the ones at the superstore nearest me does — albeit a fair bit higher than the express lanes.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:

Cheers,

James
I just use self check out. Problem solved
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:
I've never used that....it's like an ATM Machine, right?

:yahoo:

I got us back on topic....well, at least to the first digression.

James
The ATM gives you money, the self check takes your money :wink:
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
ziggy wrote:Went to get my car insurance a couple of days ago, what a nightmare. Wouldn't you know it they asked for my VIN number, I can never remember it, so I have it in my smart phone, but darned if I could read it because the LCD display was all messed up. Then I go to the ATM machine to get some cash and I forget my darn PIN number. At that point the day couldn't have got any worse, even if an ICBM missle was inbound!
Thanks for the chuckle.
And if you appreciated that, you're definitely not one of the hoi polloi.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
ziggy wrote:Went to get my car insurance a couple of days ago, what a nightmare. Wouldn't you know it they asked for my VIN number, I can never remember it, so I have it in my smart phone, but darned if I could read it because the LCD display was all messed up. Then I go to the ATM machine to get some cash and I forget my darn PIN number. At that point the day couldn't have got any worse, even if an ICBM missle was inbound!
Thanks for the chuckle.
And if you appreciated that, you're definitely not one of the hoi polloi.
Ha ha

Play on words, huh?

hoi polloi ... had to look that one up. Apparently hoi, according to some sources, does not necessariiy stand for "the," as in "the rabble," but is part of the phrase itself. So, according to some, one could say the hoi polloi. Others might choose to say "you're defintely not one of hoi polloi."
agent2
All Star

This topic has seriously gone off the rails, no point in trying to rescue it now.

Someone mentioned checkouts. Since you are my kind of people (Lions fans) and grocery shopping is one of the most mundane chores we do (except when you are hungry, then its just costly), I’ll share my tips on having a better checkout experience...

1. When the situation arises, always choose the checkout with a checker and a bagger no matter how long the line up is, they move twice as fast.
2. Don’t load your groceries onto the belt until the customer ahead of you puts down the separating stick. It’s their responsibility and my pet peeve.
3. Avoid lineups that have the shopper with a cart full of weird items. They probably don’t speak English and will likely cause a big backlog trying to figure out the club card.
4. Always kick the phantom shopper’s basket away, even better - hide it, then act confused when they return.
5. Never allow Mr. Single Item to butt in because he’s “gotta catch a bus” or something. (Rule Exception: newspaper purchases with exact coinage).
6. When you see someone in the express checkout with more than the allowable limit, count them out loud and smile.
7. When you have a big load and there is someone in your line with only a few items tell them there is a minimum of ten items for this line (works well on young people).
8. Only use the self checkout for scanable stuff, produce disadvantages you.
9. When going through the self checkout, plan ahead, look unkempt and act suspicious, you’ll get immediate assistance (this works really well at Canadian Tire).