Lions 34 - TiCats 27 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
pennw wrote:They seem to give up big yards to good QB's like Glenn and AC.
Please don't compare Kevin Glenn to AC.

AC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Glenn.
On the season, yes, but there's no quarterback I would rather see the Lions face in the playoffs than AC. He usually struggles against the B.C. defence. In two games this year, he threw for one TD and one INT.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The one stat that is easy to overlook is B.C.'s run defence, which was supposed to be the key to the game. Hamilton had only 36 yards rushing, including 34 by Cobb. B.C.'s defence got the Cats out of their rhythm, forced some early two-and-outs and dictated the flow of the game. Well done.
Blitz
Team Captain

Printers was awesome. Only made one poor pass all game...every throw except one was right on the money, short, intermediate, or long. The rest of Printers incompletions were either due to drops or because he threw the football away. Printers made some huge plays but anyone who says he can't read a defense needed to look at this game. Printers mostly threw out of the pocket and made excellent reads. There were no screens from Chap but he did throw the hitch screen a couple of times and also used tight end sets at times. Overall it was a good game plan made even more impressive by Printers escapability when it was needed.

Defensively, we were disciplined against the run and everyone did their jobs. The fact that we got an early lead also helped as Hamilton gave up on the run too easily. However, once again it looked like our defense folded in crunch time but really once again, we went into a prevent mentality instead of being more aggressive with our defensive backs.

Special teams were excellent with both Gryce-Mullen and Smart making some excellent returns. McCallum was money again. I wrote at the time it was a mistake to drop McCallum for Whyte and thankfully Wally came to his senses after one game with Whyte as our kicker. Inserting Whyte for kickoffs was a good move and I wish Wally would have used Whyte to punt too but also understand why he opted for experience.

We're in the Eastern Final and have a good chance. It was a miserable season overall made excting with the return of Casey Printers and the excellent play of Martell Mallett and Arsenault, Ricky Foley and Korey Banks Toney looked suspect again but Lavar Glover was outstanding again and never should have been pined for more than one game this season. Glover made huge plays and his coverage was excellent all game.

Go Lions Go!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pennw
Legend

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
pennw wrote:They seem to give up big yards to good QB's like Glenn and AC.
Please don't compare Kevin Glenn to AC.

AC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Glenn.
I didn't compare Glenn to AC . Only stated that both were good QB's . Of two good QB' it is possible for one to be better than the other . Against BC, AC has actually not been stellar for the most part . Was it not AC that got sacked 11 times in one game vs BC and then was pulled by DM for his own good? And of course his back-up got sacked one more time to make it 12 sacks for what was pretty close to a record for sacks in one game .
pennw
Legend

Some other points not yet mentioned , it was nice to see Brent Johnson make his presents felt for a change with 3 sacks and more importantly , BC got a one yd plunge for a TD this game . Huge monkey off our backs.
Rammer
Team Captain

pennw wrote:Some other points not yet mentioned , it was nice to see Brent Johnson make his presents felt for a change with 3 sacks and more importantly , BC got a one yd plunge for a TD this game . Huge monkey off our backs.
Yep, BJ brought attitude and didn't push to the QB, but took that push through the QB. Just two more games like that and I could forgive him for his second half regular season collapse.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote: At least I can define what "Roar Lions Roar" means ... but what's Oski weewee ??
It's what mothers in Hamilton say when they're toilet training their young children. Come now Fred, show mommy you can do oski weewee.
Vern Halen
Champion

Congrats to the Lions and their fans - an exciting game and a great finish! All aspects of the Lions' game were clicking yesterday, for sure.

Best of luck on Sunday!!
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
pennw wrote: At least I can define what "Roar Lions Roar" means ... but what's Oski weewee ??
It's what mothers in Hamilton say when they're toilet training their young children. Come now Fred, show mommy you can do oski weewee.
Ya I kinda suspected the weewee part had something to with that sort of thing , sure sounds like it does at any rate.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

So were any of you other BC fans at this game?

Had a great time... a lot of driving from Ottawa (ironically I will not be going to next week's game in much-closer Montreal!), but it was worth it.

I parked in a parking lot right next to James Yurichuk's parents -- it was quite odd to step out of the car at the same time as other Lion fans, because there weren't many there...! After the game, the Yurichuks' car and mine were the only ones left, and indeed the family was there eating with James, so I chatted with them a little while. Very friendly folks.

As I wrote in the other thread, we took a fair amount of verbal abuse from the fans around us. Most were fine (if I may generalize, the notable difference is that the female fans were fine and the male ones not so much so), but dang if my presence at a sporting event has ever caused that much consternation before. (I have been a visiting fan in all of hockey [Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Columbus, Buffalo], baseball [as a Seattle fan in Toronto] and football [Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton], and this was by far the most people have ben bothered by it.

We were greeted with a loud chorus of boos merely upon entering the stadium. At that point it was an honor. Later in the game it got a bit annoying, though, with most comments directed at BC in general (which is a stretch coming from Hamiltonians, seriously? How much crap could we have given them?), but several more specifically in our direction. Some of the standard fan trash-talk variety, others more mean-spirited than necessary in a family environment.

The Ticat fans around us were also loudly cheering injured BC players, which I thought was classless. (Speaking of class, in jawing with Ticat fans it's hard not to be aware of it a little... Hamilton is a very blue-collar town in a rough economic patch, so you try to be a little sensitive while they're slagging your province and everything you love. But really, is it hard not to be an idiot? Like I said above, it's pretty much the easiest target in the CFL to unload on if we'd really wanted to be mean.)

As I wrote elsewhere, it turned outright sour when we faced some threats of violence. It's a CFL game, chill out. I told the guy threatening us that, by the way, it's pretty illegal in Canada to hurt someone over a sporting event and I could call the cops if he really wanted. It's probably just alcohol, but I always wonder what these geniuses are thinking -- they're not going to face charges for beating someone up following a football game? This isn't English soccer...

The game itself was fun, but for the characteristic defensive meltdown at the end of the game. Even I didn't think that was going to happen (and when it did, I was certain Hamilton would take the game in OT, since the BC pass defense had all but disappeared). I'll minimize comments on the game itself since you were all watching.

I do wonder, though, why there always seems to be a guy open underneath no matter who BC is playing... the Lions don't seem to have any such benefit on offense!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Vern Halen wrote:Congrats to the Lions and their fans - an exciting game and a great finish! All aspects of the Lions' game were clicking yesterday, for sure.

Best of luck on Sunday!!
Thanks, Vern.

Best of luck to your team also. :thup:
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

What section were you sitting in?

I can only speak for myself, but I was in Hamilton last season for the Lions game and faced none of that sort of garbage. Then again, back in 2004 and 2006, Rider fans claimed that sort of garbage was going on at BC Place.

Playoff games, for whatever reason, tend to draw more casual fans, thus, the unruliness that comes with it. The Ticat fans I know, including the Box J Boys, are above that sort of tackiness.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

Canuck_4_Life wrote:What section were you sitting in?
Section 22, in the corner.

By no means am I suggesting that the majority of fans around us were like that, I should point out. Though a large number were cheering injuries to Lions (which I thought tasteless), the ones hurling bile were only a handful, and the guy threatening us after the game was just one guy. Still didn't exactly enhance the game experience, though.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Regarding Ian Smart's close play in OT, this page explains what is a TD and what is not:

http://www.cfl.ca/article/td-attempts-i ... on-in-play

Touchdown

Not a Touchdown

Which play best reflected Smart's run?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Vern Halen wrote:Congrats to the Lions and their fans - an exciting game and a great finish! All aspects of the Lions' game were clicking yesterday, for sure.

Best of luck on Sunday!!
Thanks, Vern.

Best of luck to your team also. :thup:
I imagine this is one of those very rare weeks where Riders fans will be cheering for BC and Lions fans will be cheering for Saskatchewan.