More details on the move to Empire

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

How about Printers Stadium.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Not sure what to expect going back to the old Empire Stadium site. I love the view and it's closer to home.

The questions surrounding seating, concessions, washrooms, parking are not clear at the moment.

I'm envisioning those old numbered benches open to the weather for many fans.

While I like outdoor stadiums, it doesn't mean I want to sit under the rain clouds.

Mr Tube Steak and Porta Pottie line ups might be ok when you're 20 years old. I'm not.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the cost of seasons tickets in 2010 and in 2011 after renovations.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The city of Montreal is smart in that they didn't demolish Olympic Stadium as they have it as a backup should anything happen to Molson Stadium.

Seattle was quite fortunate in that 72,500 capacity Husky Stadium was totally capable of handling the Seahawks in 2000 and 2001 when Kingdome was demolished and Qwest Field was being built.

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
The_Pauser
Legend

Robbie wrote:The city of Montreal is smart in that they didn't demolish Olympic Stadium as they have it as a backup should anything happen to Molson Stadium.

Seattle was quite fortunate in that 72,500 capacity Husky Stadium was totally capable of handling the Seahawks in 2000 and 2001 when Kingdome was demolished and Qwest Field was being built.

Hmmm...would this be our backup?

:tease:
Roar you Lions roar!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Robbie wrote:The city of Montreal is smart in that they didn't demolish Olympic Stadium as they have it as a backup should anything happen to Molson Stadium.

Hmmm...would this be our backup?

:tease:
Well, the city's other football team may not allow that.

And as better comparison, if the Seahawks can play in Seattle's college stadium, how about the city of Vancouver and play in its college stadium.

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

UBC will be too far out of the way for all but die hards.
footy
All Star

Wow I thought Canucks fans were whiners ...jeesh the complaints about the cold and parking are pathetic are you Lions fans or what ? Hey for those dropping your season tickets for 2010 .. good luck trying to get or sit in the same spot in 2011 those tickets will be gone.
hwgill
Legend

footy wrote:Wow I thought Canucks fans were whiners ...jeesh the complaints about the cold and parking are pathetic are you Lions fans or what ? Hey for those dropping your season tickets for 2010 .. good luck trying to get or sit in the same spot in 2011 those tickets will be gone.
It's easy to call people whiners when you live a short bus trip from where they are going to be playing. But for those of us who have to drive (transit is crap south of the river) an hour already for BC Place for White Rock, more if you're in Aldergrove or further east), and well over an hour for the PNE it's a little different.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

footy wrote:Wow I thought Canucks fans were whiners ...jeesh the complaints about the cold and parking are pathetic are you Lions fans or what ? Hey for those dropping your season tickets for 2010 .. good luck trying to get or sit in the same spot in 2011 those tickets will be gone.
Speak for yourself. I sat in Empire Stadium through 1965 - 1982 seasons. I think we're entitled to some decent concessions and washrooms.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Gonna come join me in PG tonight for some good old fashion PEE WEE minor football? Afterall it is the PLAYOFFS! Or is it too cold or too far? :wink:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Spud387
Champion

hwgill wrote:
It's easy to call people whiners when you live a short bus trip from where they are going to be playing. But for those of us who have to drive (transit is crap south of the river) an hour already for BC Place for White Rock, more if you're in Aldergrove or further east), and well over an hour for the PNE it's a little different.
I live in Delta, I will have to drive, and you'll see me there rain or shine! Maybe this will finally give the Lions an excuse to release a nice winter jacket, not some thin windbreaker.
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

hwgill wrote:It's easy to call people whiners when you live a short bus trip from where they are going to be playing. But for those of us who have to drive (transit is crap south of the river) an hour already for BC Place for White Rock, more if you're in Aldergrove or further east), and well over an hour for the PNE it's a little different.
"Whiners!" Hey, you're right, it is easy!

Seriously, though - I'm not seeing your point. From points east up the Fraser Valley, Empire Stadium is closer. According to Google Maps, travel time from Aldergrove to BC Place is 50 minutes, and to Empire Stadium only 40. From Maple Ridge, it's 57 minutes to BC Place, and only 35 to Empire. (Obviously, Google Maps does not have a 'rush hour' setting! But you get my point).

Even for those commuting fans who are closer to downtown, BC Place and Empire Stadium are still only 6 kilometers apart! Fat middle-aged men can run that! (Trust me, I know.)
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

Blue In BC wrote:Speak for yourself. I sat in Empire Stadium through 1965 - 1982 seasons. I think we're entitled to some decent concessions and washrooms.

That's why they make giant bags of Doritos, and Depends in your size, man.

Actually, I suspect that these will be problems for some fans with disabilities. But we can't have everything. It's a pretty small worm in a really cool apple.
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
mws
Starter

Back to Empire?! I'm seriously thinking of moving back home so I can be there for the season. I have nothing against the Dome, but the games at Empire had a much better atmosphere. Transportation? We used to catch the chartered bus from Woodward's in New Westminster. Perhaps charters could be arranged for those living in the burbs. Weather? I'll just do as I've done for the dozen or so Grey Cups I've been to, bundle up.
Outside with that view of the Lions the team was named after? Count me in. Can't wait. :yahoo:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With the Whitecaps and Lions sharing the same stadium, then there's a good possibility that we will see something that we have not seen a long, long time and that is, both soccer lines and football lines on the same field. That was the case in Empire Stadium.

I'd say that the football players and fans get an advantage over the soccer fans because the white football lines are much more visible than the dark brown soccer lines. The soccer fan (and maybe players) need to be reminded that the soccer sideline is actually about a metre wider than the white football sideline.
祝你龍年行大運。