Major announcement from David Braley this week?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote: If the Lions have to vacate BC Place for a year, I am afraid that is not a good thing for fans who are struggling these days with the tougher economy. I can see no way that some small stadium is going to be anything but more costly for fans as someone will have to pay to do something at old Empire (absolutely stupid idea) or at any other venue (Swanguard). It won't be the taxpayers footing the bill for a years worth of fun. This is not Phoenix Coyote territory and we have no county gov't structure in Canada to come in to save the day (err get the taxpayers on the hook). I just think they have to find a way to stay in the dome as there is no other venue in the province of BC that can house the numbers and pay the bills without gouging more from the ticket paying public. If they added to Swanguard... woweee.. it's like a return to old Empire where you better get some binocs as that 400 metre track sure makes the sight lines suck. Yikes, how to get there - night mare! No parking. UBC .. too far and no transport.
Hey, they're the BC Lions, not the Vancouver Lions. This may be dreaming in technicolour, but how about moving them around for a season? Are there other Swangardish stadiums that they could bring in a bunch more bleachers? Royal Athletic Park in Victoria? Whatever they're called in Coquitlam and Abbotsford? Kelowna? I'm sure the locals there could fill 20,000 seats for a game or two, and bringing a real team would look good in relation to that other Vancouver team that sent all its nobodies to play in Terrace.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Hey, they're the BC Lions, not the Vancouver Lions. This may be dreaming in technicolour, but how about moving them around for a season? Are there other Swangardish stadiums that they could bring in a bunch more bleachers? Royal Athletic Park in Victoria? Whatever they're called in Coquitlam and Abbotsford? Kelowna? I'm sure the locals there could fill 20,000 seats for a game or two, and bringing a real team would look good in relation to that other Vancouver team that sent all its nobodies to play in Terrace.
Unrealistic. The cost of running a practice field, moving the equipments, finding office space, hiring of office staff etc. for one season would be prohibitive.
The_Pauser
Legend

Are people really suggesting that Swanguard stadium is a viable alternative to BC Place for a season? Swanguard holds maybe 5000 fans on a good day....even during the Lions dark years it would have been over double a sell-out.
Roar you Lions roar!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:Are people really suggesting that Swanguard stadium is a viable alternative to BC Place for a season? Swanguard holds maybe 5000 fans on a good day....even during the Lions dark years it would have been over double a sell-out.

You can add stands like they did in 1986 when England came to play Canada (soccer) on their way to Mexico and the Canada's last World Cup appearance.

However, that place has NO parking for 25000 even if they built up some temp stands and you have that freaking horrible track keeping the fans too far from the action. Second, Lions fans wishing for the demise of BC Place will likely find a new place with fewer seats and higher ticket prices. The great thing about BC Place is that you can always get a ticket.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
hwgill
Legend

I don't know if I would keep my tickets if the Leos moved out of BC Place. I might give them up for a year and then pick 'em up again once the Leos were back in the stadium...or I might just buy them but stay home. Summer's not bad, but there is no way in hell I am going to sit outside for a Lions game in the fall. I'm too old for that crap...
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Dan
Rookie

hwgill wrote:I don't know if I would keep my tickets if the Leos moved out of BC Place. I might give them up for a year and then pick 'em up again once the Leos were back in the stadium...or I might just buy them but stay home. Summer's not bad, but there is no way in hell I am going to sit outside for a Lions game in the fall. I'm too old for that crap...
Don't blame you, who the heck wants to sit outside in the cold, wind and rain
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote: Hey, they're the BC Lions, not the Vancouver Lions. This may be dreaming in technicolour, but how about moving them around for a season? Are there other Swangardish stadiums that they could bring in a bunch more bleachers? Royal Athletic Park in Victoria? Whatever they're called in Coquitlam and Abbotsford? Kelowna? I'm sure the locals there could fill 20,000 seats for a game or two, and bringing a real team would look good in relation to that other Vancouver team that sent all its nobodies to play in Terrace.
Ask Mitch Berger how much he enjoyed being a nomad when the Saints had no place to call home following Katrina.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Dan wrote:
hwgill wrote:I don't know if I would keep my tickets if the Leos moved out of BC Place. I might give them up for a year and then pick 'em up again once the Leos were back in the stadium...or I might just buy them but stay home. Summer's not bad, but there is no way in hell I am going to sit outside for a Lions game in the fall. I'm too old for that crap...
Don't blame you, who the heck wants to sit outside in the cold, wind and rain
I bet Ottawa fans would give their left nut to sit outside in the cold wind and rain, if it meant getting to watch their team. We take too much for granted.
Real women wear orange!!
Big Time
Champion

Swanguard is a non-starter for me for a variety of reasons. No parking, terrible stands, terrible transit options, overall terrible sporting facility for a CFL type of event. Seems to me T-Bird stadium would be far more suitable a venue than Swanguard. You could put up temporary stands, they have parking and considerable transit options. Also, it's a football stadium. :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:Swanguard is a non-starter for me for a variety of reasons. No parking, terrible stands, terrible transit options, overall terrible sporting facility for a CFL type of event. Seems to me T-Bird stadium would be far more suitable a venue than Swanguard. You could put up temporary stands, they have parking and considerable transit options. Also, it's a football stadium. :wink:
Being on UBC grounds, I wouldn't bet on T-Bird Stadium having a high degree of parking availability. UBC typically frowns on non-public transit modes of transportation. Speaking of which, it's at least a ten minute walk (over a mile) between the main campus transit depot and the stadium. Or you could get on a 41 or C20, which would cut it down to maybe three or four minutes, not including the wait for the connection. :juggle:

If you set out to start up a university with a stadium in a place where people would have a hard time finding/accessing it, you'd be hard pressed to outdo the status quo.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

And the MAJOR announcement from Braley is ....

Dennis Skulsky and Moray Keith have been named co-chairs of the 2011 Grey Cup.

Canucks are going to be ticked at Braley for trying to steal the spotlight from their regular season opener.

Important news ... yes .... major? hardly.

Underwhelming .... kind of like the season to date.
LFITQ
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote: Underwhelming .... kind of like the season to date.
If this didn't hit so close to home it would be kind of funny. Instead it is just sad ...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:
SammyGreene wrote: Underwhelming .... kind of like the season to date.
If this didn't hit so close to home it would be kind of funny. Instead it is just sad ...
Sums the season up alright. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low