CBC Bonehead Identified

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/438365

This is yet another reason why CBC does not deserve the national broadcasting rights to “Hockey Night in Canada”.

Rather than to pay the 500.00 royalty fee to continue the use of the national theme we all love in a renewal of lapsing licensing agreement, CBC bonehead Scott Moore, head of CBC Sports wants to dump it in favor of holding some national contest open to amateurs.

I say that if you don’t want to pay for the license to the theme that is an integral part of “ Hockey Night in Canada”, then the rights to broadcast the games should go along with it to a network that would be tickled to keep the two symbiotically bound together in one the most exciting traditions that has become our national heritage.

"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/438365

This is yet another reason why CBC does not deserve the national broadcasting rights to “Hockey Night in Canada”.

Rather than to pay the 500.00 royalty fee to continue the use of the national theme we all love in a renewal of lapsing licensing agreement, CBC bonehead Scott Moore, head of CBC Sports wants to dump it in favor of holding some national contest open to amateurs.

I say that if you don’t want to pay for the license to the theme that is an integral part of “ Hockey Night in Canada”, then the rights to broadcast the games should go along with it to a network that would be tickled to keep the two symbiotically bound together in one the most exciting traditions that has become our national heritage.

I would suggest that there is a bit more to it than that. HNIC "made" the song, not the other way around. $500 for every time the song is played is a pretty decent royalty to be dickin' around with. I would say it is more lucrative than any other sports song, including Monday Night Football. If CBC dumps the song because this person wants to hold the CBC and Moore hostage then good luck to her in trying to get someone else to use the song.....cuz they won't touch it.

In other words HNIC will go on, song or no song; Don Cherry or no Don Cherry; Danny Gallivan or no Danny Gallivan....................... and he doesn't want to dump it as you suggest, that is merely his fallback position if they two parties agree to disagree.

This is just negotiations posturing, happens all the time. She went public because she figured a public outcry, like you just did, would result and CBC would cave. I don't think they will and settlement will be reached and your treasured song will again be played next (ugh) season...that is finally over, thank Gawd. Now we will have to listen to who will be the Canuscks 4th line centre for the next 4 months when we should be talking LIONS FOOTBALL!!! Go Lions!!!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

In actual fact, it seems that the $500.00 royalty has little to do with the issue. More a 2.5 million dollar lawsuit over a variety of things. The CBC is simply taking the position that until that gets resolved, they don't see any point in trying to renew the other agreement and from a business perspective, I can quite agree with that position. Apparently offers of arbitration and mediation attempts have failed so the next phase would be court. People don't generally enter into new agreements with people who are suing them.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
ilovetheriders
Starter

Thank God The CBC is not covering The CFL!!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CBC doesn't want to spend $500 for the royalty rights yet they spend how much for the twin fossils Bob Cole and Don Cherry ?
Wally!
Starter

Hockey Night in Canada was around before this song, and would do just fine without this song. HNIC made the song, not the other way around. CBC was stupid in using the song in instances where it had no right to do so, but I see the lawsuit and public posturing (conveniently the day after the Stanley Cup final concludes) as a flat out attempt to gouge the CBC. Considering it is our tax dollars that would fund that gouging, let the song go.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/438365

Yet another example of someone (ab)using incomplete facts to support their own existing irrational hatred of someone...
:wag:

Get over it already.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

ilovetheriders wrote:Thank God The CBC is not covering The CFL!!!
I don't think god was involved in that decision.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

FWIW I hate the current theme music that is so adored. I far preferred the theme music that predated it. I can still play that tune in my head and I still miss it.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:
Yet another example of someone (ab)using incomplete facts to support their own existing irrational hatred of someone...
:wag:

Get over it already.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Well this makes it pretty clear you didn't think much of Moore to begin with... so you used half-assed information to further blame the guy for this problem.

Fact: there is an outstanding lawsuit by the song's composer that existed from before Moore's time, that he has been trying to settle for the last two years (the song license actually expired BEFORE this past season and they negotiated a temporary one-year license in hopes the lawsuit could be settled before that year was up).

Fact: he doesn't want to negotiate over song rights while there are outstanding legal issues (and rightly so - that's just good business).

Fact: he has also suggested getting an arbitrator to settle the legal dispute; the other side has refused.

Fact: Moore has stated repeatedly that RENEWING THE LICENSE IS HIS PREFERENCE, and the contest is an if-all-else-fails measure.

Fact: It's not simply a "$500 royalty fee". It's a $500 *per use* fee. That means every time the song is played during a game, for every game. If you figure it's used 8 times per game (once at the start, once at the finish, once at the start and end of each period, just as a quick estimate), then factor four games per week (accounting for different broadcasts in different markets, including Habs games in the Quebec market), that right there is $16,000/week. Multiply that by 27 weeks in the season, and there's $427,000 for the season. And that doesn't include the playoffs. That ain't chump change.

So who's the bonehead now?
(\__/)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:
Fact: It's not simply a "$500 royalty fee". It's a $500 *per use* fee. That means every time the song is played during a game, for every game. If you figure it's used 8 times per game (once at the start, once at the finish, once at the start and end of each period, just as a quick estimate), then factor four games per week (accounting for different broadcasts in different markets, including Habs games in the Quebec market), that right there is $16,000/week. Multiply that by 27 weeks in the season, and there's $427,000 for the season. And that doesn't include the playoffs. That ain't chump change.

So who's the bonehead now?
Interesting.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

What's really interesting is if you google for this article, the first hits that come up link to cbc.ca, and the "teaser" text states, "Previously, each use of the song cost the CBC about $500, the agency said." but if you actually go to the article it now claims, "Previously, the CBC paid about $500 for each game broadcast by Hockey Night in Canada, the agency said. Obviously the article has been edited.

As I recall from Scott Moore's interview with P&T the other day, though, he did indicate it was $500 *per use*.
(\__/)
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote: So who's the bonehead now?
Now read the rest of the story Soundy...

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/437667

"In the statement, the plaintiffs claim that when the CBC took over production of hockey broadcasts from Molson Breweries in 1998, they signed a new deal that spelled out how the music could be used.

According to the claim, the CBC violated that agreement in several ways:

Using the music on NHL games broadcast in the United Kingdom.
Making the ring-tone deal, which required the provider to purchase several hundreds of thousands of dollars of commercial time on CBC.
Failing to provide proper screen credits.
Using the theme in commercials for HNIC merchandise and advertising.
Calling the piece, ("CBC's Hockey Night In Canada Theme Song.") "

Royalties (sometimes, running royalties) are usage-based payments made by one party (the "licensee") to another (the "licensor") for ongoing use of an asset, sometimes an intellectual property (IP) right.

Royalties can be determined as a percentage of gross or net sales derived from use of the asset or a fixed price per unit sold. There are also other modes and metrics of compensation. A royalty interest is the right to collect a stream of future royalty payments, often used in the oil industry and music industry to describe a percentage ownership of future production or revenues from a given leasehold, which may be divested from the original owner of the asset.
Tighthead
Legend

Wasn't the lawsuit filed long before Moore was in place at CBC? Certainly the allegations leading to the lawsuit predate his tenure.