Am I wrong for feeling this way?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Power-O-O-O-O
Starter

This will not be "must see TV" for me, but I will probably tune in.
Hopefully Winnipeg can make this a game, because with an unproven back-up a win would probably be one of the all-time upsets in the Grey Cup.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

sonderfan wrote:
Lionut wrote:Two small market prairie teams = very little viewer interest in Quebec, Alberta, BC, or Southern Ontario. Sure, for CFL diehards there are some interesting storylines for this game, but let's be honest -- what is in this matchup to attract the casual fan outside of Saskatchewan or Manitoba? Nothing. This game is going to be a ratings dog for CBC and the CFL.
Hey, don't forget: half of Alberta used to live in Saskatchewan and there are enough former Greenies scattered around to keep the numbers respectable I think. And in Quebec? Is there any proof that their numbers rise or fall depending on the success of the Als?

I think the game will get okay numbers though not many in Vancouver may watch. Trust me, my experience tells me it takes two weeks to get over disappointing playoff losses to the point you want to watch more CFL.
I agree with Lionut — this is going to be a stinker as far as ratings go. The Saskatchewan diaspora has put enough fans in every CFL centre that they can be counted on to buy an appreciable number of tickets wherever and whenever the Roughriders play. But they are also probably among the same group who watch the Grey Cup on tv every year anyway, so they represent the base of the ratings numbers and won't be able to give it much of a boost. And it's not even expected to be a very close game, what with the Kevin Glenn situation. When was the last time one team was considered to be such an overwhelming favourite? I don't remember us being so favoured last year, so I'd have to say 1997, when Sask dutifully fulfilled their underdog role to Flutie's Argos.

To perhaps oversimplify the POV of the casual fan, two small markets + foregone conclusion = :sleep:

Having said that, I'll still tune in, and wouldn't be surprised if the final is much closer than expected.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
joesports
All Star

I don't know how interested I am in the game yet.

Hopefully Wpg will put up some fight to keep the game close.

Hey....following Rider fan logic, if/when Sask wins, would the record books have an asterisk to mark the fact Wpg's starting QB hasn't even started a CFL game before? 8) They were willing to say a Lion win would have been tainted since Jiminez was playing, canned noise, blah, blah, blah.

I think the prevailing feeling for most of the season is that whoever won the West would win the GC. So, I think Sask should win even if Glenn was playing. But it would be nice to get Stegall a GC. :cr:
Jer Bear
Rookie

Welcome to the world of being a Roughrider fan. I've had to watch the Grey Cup not containting the Rider's too many times, but I have always watched it.
smphantom
Legend

No interest in watching, but I want Winnipeg to win. CBC's numbers should be low for this game.

Bring on the Superbowl!
Stay thirsty my friends.
uncle leo
Starter

I've come to terms with the Roughriders handing our asses to us on Sunday. If BC and Toronto wasn't in the Grey Cup the next best thing would be Sask. and Winnipeg. You got a bunch of 'Banjo picking inbreds' from Sask. with watermellons on thier heads in downtown Toronto, (and probably from Manitoba too). Who better to remind 'Torontonians' that they are still from our country. Can the praire people turn Toronto upside down like they did in 1948? :thup:
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm always interested in the Grey Cup and I'm pulling for Winnipeg! I'm sad to see Glenn go down but am really happy for Milt Steggal and Blink Roberts. It's defintely an underdog story with a back up quarterback who threw less than 30 passes starting for Winnipeg but that adds some intrigue to the game for me!

It's the CFL and you just never know how this game will turn out...even though the odds favor the Riders.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
wildthing
All Star

I don't think the teams matter, true CFL fans watch no matter what and many years of the high GC TV ratings come from rider/bomber fans that watch all over the country.
Gerry
Legend

I'll definitely watch the game. I think it'll be interesting to see how the Bombers do without Glenn. I won't care too much who wins or loses. Stegall winning a Cup is no biggie as far as I'm concerned. There are Rider players that deserve it as well.

We have some Bomber fans in section 17, so for those guys, I hope the Bombers do it. On the other hand there are some good Rider fans who I'd like to see happy as well. I actually like the Rider team better than the Bombers, but there are way more Rider fans that totally piss me off and few or no Bomber fans that do the same.

OK. It's a wash. May the best team on the day win. No controversial calls. No canned noise. No suspensions. I hope it's a classic.
Enough is enough.
MacNews
Team Captain

It's the Grey Cup, so of course I'm going to watch it. However, if Saskatchewan starts running away with it then my interest will probably wane.
Joshua

Lionut wrote:You can guarantee that Mark Cohon quietly shares our angst. In terms of TV ratings, this is the worst match up possible for the league. BC and Toronto, with the Argos as home team, would have been their dream game -- this one, in contrast, is the nightmare.

Two small market prairie teams = very little viewer interest in Quebec, Alberta, BC, or Southern Ontario. Sure, for CFL diehards there are some interesting storylines for this game, but let's be honest -- what is in this matchup to attract the casual fan outside of Saskatchewan or Manitoba? Nothing. This game is going to be a ratings dog for CBC and the CFL.

Sure, I'll watch, and I'll cheer for the Bombers. (I'll cheer for Al Queda before I cheer for the Riders.) You'll have to excuse me, though, if I switch over to the NFL every once in a while...
Pelley was quoted as wanting a Rider win...it will be a big ratings weekend...no tv in Sask or Manitoba won't be watched
Lionut
Hall of Famer

it will be a big ratings weekend
Well, one of us will be eating humble pie a week from today when the ratings come out.

I still maintain this will be one of the lowest rated Grey Cups ever. Hey, no one is questioning the loyalty of Rider Fan, but to get big ratings you need plenty of casual fans tuning in, particularly in Southern Ontario. This game has zero, and I mean zero, buzz anywhere east of the lakehead, and that will be a huge anchor on ratings.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:I'm always interested in the Grey Cup and I'm pulling for Winnipeg! I'm sad to see Glenn go down but am really happy for Milt Steggal and Blink Roberts. It's defintely an underdog story with a back up quarterback who threw less than 30 passes starting for Winnipeg but that adds some intrigue to the game for me!

It's the CFL and you just never know how this game will turn out...even though the odds favor the Riders.
:whs: I'd watch the game NO MATTER WHERE the Lions finish. I must admit it is harder when they lay an egg in the West Final. I echo Pinball Clemon's here 'it's almost easier to go 2-16 than get this close and fail'. Speaking of Toronto, it hurts now, but BC's West Final loss can't hurt as much as having a shot to host and choking. That one really hurt a couple years back and I didn't have a ticket for the game, I was just going to watch it at home. I like the frustration and accountablity I'm hearing from the Lions players. I pity the other CFL teams next year. I figure there may be another statement season coming down the pipe!
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

I'll be watching it, but I don't think I'll be cheering for either team. I'm just hoping for a close, hard-fought game. It'd be pretty cool to see Milt hoisting the cup to finish off his amazing career, but it would also be good for The Riders and their faithful fans.
Rammer
Team Captain

Got to watch, but will have my remote within grasp if the Glenn injury means diddle do in points for the Bomber offense.
Entertainment value = an all time low