mmm good,I love canned noise!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MacNews
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:Back when the dome first opened, it was a bit of tourist attraction and people use to take organized tours of the joint. At the time the sound system was consdered "state of the art" and the BC Place operations staff used to showcase how sophisticated it was by playing crowd noise that would mimick the sound of fans doing the wave. You would hear the sound traveling around the stadium. Back then it was pretty cool to hear something like that as 5.1 surround was not a movie house staple yet.

I think that could have had something to do with starting the myth that the Lions used canned noise.
I've taken the tour twice..in 2003 and 2004 IIRC. It was very interesting and fun, but they didn't pump crowd noise for us, unfortunately.

It's cool being on the empty floor and looking up at the seats, you realize how big the stadium really is.
woody
Champion

MacNews wrote:
almo89 wrote:Here's what rider fans have to say about this :wink: :

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52579
If I were the riders or Stamps, I would officially request that the sound system be monitored for noise after the whistle, and an official be present in the sound booth for the western final.

Further, the riders should mount some microphones on the speakers at bc place to collect evidence.
:lol:

Great work Woody...that is an awesome cartoon!!!! :rockin:
Haha that quote is what gave me the idea for that cartoon :lol:
hoonsagain
Starter

I have to say....those Rider fans do have a point......even though, in many cases, that point is on the top of their heads! Anyway, for the first time, I sat in the upper deck for the West Championship last year, and I distinctly heard fan noise from the speakers cranking up a second or two before the crowd started to pump up the volume for a defensive stand by the Lions. I guess the guy on the fan noise button jumped the gun a few times....but it was unmistakable....and funny too!

:yes:

hoons
Football is not a contact sport. It's a collision sport. Dancing is a... contact sport. ~Duffy Daugherty
Zarquon
Champion

hoonsagain wrote:I have to say....those Rider fans do have a point......even though, in many cases, that point is on the top of their heads! Anyway, for the first time, I sat in the upper deck for the West Championship last year, and I distinctly heard fan noise from the speakers cranking up a second or two before the crowd started to pump up the volume for a defensive stand by the Lions. I guess the guy on the fan noise button jumped the gun a few times....but it was unmistakable....and funny too!

hoons
More likely what you heard was crowd noise picked up by the on field announcer's mic.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

zarquon wrote:
hoonsagain wrote:I have to say....those Rider fans do have a point......even though, in many cases, that point is on the top of their heads! Anyway, for the first time, I sat in the upper deck for the West Championship last year, and I distinctly heard fan noise from the speakers cranking up a second or two before the crowd started to pump up the volume for a defensive stand by the Lions. I guess the guy on the fan noise button jumped the gun a few times....but it was unmistakable....and funny too!

hoons
More likely what you heard was crowd noise picked up by the on field announcer's mic.
I think this is the case more often than not - there are numerous mics around ANY field that may be live to the PA system at any given time. For that matter, the stadium announcer's mic may be picking up crowd noise if it's not turned off quickly enough - I have no idea where he normally sits in BC place, but I'd expect it's in or around the press box, which butts right up against the seats at the top of sections 12-15.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Gerry
Legend

I think that the goof that tells everyone to cheer and make noise before an opponent's offencive play is usually at field level.

That sounds logical though. If his mic is still on after he yaps, it could pick up crowd noise and it would sound on the speakers. Apparently it is quite loud at field level.

I still don't believe that the Lions deliberately amp up crowd noise though.
Enough is enough.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:I still don't believe that the Lions deliberately amp up crowd noise though.
Hmmm, is there a league rule about that as well, like there is for "canned" noise?

Personally, I think if you wanted to use canned noise to REALLY get the crowd going, a rather famous segment from When Harry Met Sally would be more effective... ;)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Dan Russell
Legend

woody wrote:oh oh Tillmans gonna discover our secret :shock:
We should turn on the "canned noise" when the offence is on the field to throw him off.
I knew the riders sucked. This would be an interesting post on the riders site.
Rammer
Team Captain

A poster on RF did start a thread with it, IIRC the link is further back in this thread. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Rookie Rider players are told on the first day of TC that they will be getting the cup.

Then they hand them their jock. That's the only cup they'll see in 2007.

Let the delusion continue in Regina.
The_Pauser
Legend

With our quartet of quarterbacks, there is no WAY the Riders will stop our offense. No way. If we don't beat 'em through the air, Joe Smith will beat 'em through the ground. We have the league's best running back, and the league's best receiver. They bring a 3-4, we'll pound the ground. They bring a 4-3 and blitz, we'll kill 'em through the air.
Roar you Lions roar!
Dan Russell
Legend

Rammer wrote:A poster on RF did start a thread with it, IIRC the link is further back in this thread. :beer:
How long before he was banned?
Luke
All Star

I was just reading that thread. The moral superiority of people is really quite amazing. Its not enough, to debate the game, the teams involved, and potential strategy. It has to be about one group of fans being better than the other. I find that very disheartening, and discouraging.

Debating fans of other teams can be fun, but when it turns into a pissing contest over which has better fans it becomes annoying. I haven't been to a lot of BC Lions games in my life, but I've been to enough to know that its a much more blue collar crowd in 2007, than you would find at a Canuck game.
Luke
All Star

The_Pauser wrote:With our quartet of quarterbacks, there is no WAY the Riders will stop our offense. No way. If we don't beat 'em through the air, Joe Smith will beat 'em through the ground. We have the league's best running back, and the league's best receiver. They bring a 3-4, we'll pound the ground. They bring a 4-3 and blitz, we'll kill 'em through the air.
I hope thats how it goes. Certain Rider fans think our air attack is our weakness. I can't wait to see the despair when Geroy, JC, and PJ burn the likes of Arabin Justin and Lance Frazier all game long. Then they go to seven or eight DBs to stop our receivers, and we put in the jumbo unit, and smash the ball through their weak front four (lets be honest, its not what it was in previous years, especially if you go by their sack total). :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:
Dan Russell
Legend

Luke wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:With our quartet of quarterbacks, there is no WAY the Riders will stop our offense. No way. If we don't beat 'em through the air, Joe Smith will beat 'em through the ground. We have the league's best running back, and the league's best receiver. They bring a 3-4, we'll pound the ground. They bring a 4-3 and blitz, we'll kill 'em through the air.
I hope thats how it goes. Certain Rider fans think our air attack is our weakness. I can't wait to see the despair when Geroy, JC, and PJ burn the likes of Arabin Justin and Lance Frazier all game long. Then they go to seven or eight DBs to stop our receivers, and we put in the jumbo unit, and smash the ball through their weak front four (lets be honest, its not what it was in previous years, especially if you go by their sack total). :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:
Most definately Saskatchewan's defence is overrated. Fred Perry is a shell of himself compared to last year.