Horrific kickoff collision has likely ended Hinsperger’s career

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great and sad read here on Lions rookie linebacker Lions’ rookie LB Jack Hinsperger and how the horrific collision with Peyton Logan has in all likelihood ended his football career. All seemed well at the time when he was able to walk off the field.

Logan apparently fractured a vertebrae in his neck.

No wonder McEvoy has been a strong proponent of heading the same route as the NFL on kickoffs:

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/13/lion ... ng-injury/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I was shocked to read that. Until reading that this morning I thought it was Logan who came out of it much worse for wear than Hinsperger.

One KO collision ends one career and perhaps but for a stroke of pure luck could have ended two. Certainly should serve as a wakeup call to at least take a look at how to remove some of the risks that come with the play that generates the most violent collisions in the sport.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's sad to see the damage that can be done on one play. I wish Hinsperger a full recovery. As someone whose football dreams ended after suffering a neck injury on kickoff coverage in high school, I feel for both players.
David
Team Captain

That was both a sad and inspiring read. Hinsperger showed a lot of promise on special teams so I am disappointed that he won't be returning but above all, wish him the best for a full recovery. :thup:

This may be an unpopular take but I am not a fan of the return rules being messed with. If there is empirical evidence that injuries are spiking in this facet of the game, then yes. By all means. Let's keep the players safe. But I don't believe this to be the case. While this was devastating injury for two players, I think it was more an anomaly. Regretably, career enders can happen at any time.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:20 am
This may be an unpopular take but I am not a fan of the return rules being messed with. If there is empirical evidence that injuries are spiking in this facet of the game, then yes. By all means. Let's keep the players safe. But I don't believe this to be the case. While this was devastating injury for two players, I think it was more an anomaly. Regretably, career enders can happen at any time.

DH :cool:
I leave that assessment up to the leagues. Football and hockey know all toowell the devestating effects concussions and CTE have had on athletes. Recently we had a few more suicides with CTE suspected to be a factor. The NFL, as I hope would the CFL, monitor and compile stats on all forms of injuries. I don't believe the NFL made the first changes that led to 78% of KOs resulting in touchbacks because of anecdotal evidence re: injuries. I think they made that change because the data told them there was a higher percentage of concussions and other serious injuries occurring on KO plays than other plays. It's been reported that the changes did result in a 14% reduction in concussions obviously because of the reduced number of actual returns.

If CFL injury data is telling them they are enduring a disproportenate occurrance of serious injuries on KO plays vs punts and regular O/D play they would be doing an injustice to their players to not at least explore ways to make them safer.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The CFL has an obligation to look at all aspects of player safety and preventing injury unquestionably.
Like David, I'd like to see the stats.

Not sure if Hinsperger was a freakish outcome or if you can alter the rules to make it safer.

In hockey in the playoffs this season there are some debatable high hits close to the head happening and in that sport, I'd like to see all that penalized and out of the game instead of being fan pleasers.

I go back to a comment I think Brian Burke made years ago. Players have to take some or more (not sure of the exact quote) responsibility for how they conduct themselves and clearly many in hockey don't and will take that hit intended to take out a player with a hellacious hit.

The Hinsperger colliision from the angle I saw looked like a normal tackle and ball carrier situation that did end like Logan hitting a brick wall and unless it's a head collision usually both walk away. How do you prevent that in pitchouts, reverses, backs coming out of the backfield etc? I don't know. Hinsperger going in soft on a tackle would get him hurt but both players prepared and taking care of themselves seem like a typical football tackle.

Some of the greatest CFL plays in my memory are kickoffs into the endzone that get run back for TDs with no one laying a glove on the ball carrier.
I'd hate to see that eliminated. The NFL game sucks as a team never has to return a kickoff or punt as there's no penalty letting it go or downing it.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
don corleone
All Star

I agree it is unfortunate Jack Hinspirger was injured on the play and wish him the best in recovery and future endeavors. No doubt it happened fast.

That said, I have been enjoying the kickoffs / returns in the UFL. Haven't got a full grasp of the rules yet but it seems to be working well. IMO a good return is deserving of better field position and should be rewarded over just taking possession at the 40 opposed to working for it.

That said, the fact we haven't heard anything more about rule changes tells me we are likely to see the 40 yard line rule implemented and a reduction in returns. Could be why the Bombers have not re-signed Janarion Grant.

Alternatively if teams let down their guard on kick coverage a good returner may be a nice tool to have in the tool kit.