Lions' receivers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions won’t be able to sign Claypool anytime
soon if he decides to come to the CFL.
According to Farhan Lalji, Saskatchewan has added him to the Riders’ exclusive negotiation list. He says Claypool is still expected to sign with an NFL team this year.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/saskatchewan-rou ... -1.2098372
David
Team Captain

IF he (ever) comes up here, it's likely going to cost a bundle to sign him.

Also, if ego was an issue in the NFL, then I am not sure how it is going to get massaged playing in the CFL. He lasted just 2 years with with the organization (Steelers) that drafted him, playing for a no-nonsense coach (Tomlin). He was then traded to the Bears, where effort became a glaring issue, after which he allegedly complained that he "did not believe that the team had been putting him in a position to succeed." He was then told to stay home and the next season, was traded to the Dolphins for just a 7th round pick.

I will say, if any CFL coach could help get him on track, it's Corey Mace. However, I don't believe the fishbowl environment of Regina would be a good thing for him.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
don corleone
All Star

Searching the exclusive negotiation window states that once a player declares he wants to play in the CFL the rights holder has 10 days to offer him an ELC where upon they retain his rights for another calender year. It's a ridiculous rule 100% in favor of the team.

I saw posted on another forum that because of T.J. Jones credit is now given for years played outside the CFL so what applies and what does not is not clear to me.

Riders are just being Riders with Emilus now joining Shaeffer-Baker and Lenius as already highly paid receivers. It's not a good fit in any way for Claypool imo. The Lions are a completely different story. Possible Chase wanted to be a Lion one day when he was a kid.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

One thing that Claypool has going for him is youth relatively speaking. He's 25. Could be he suffered from a nasty combination of immaturity and outright cockiness. The way things have unfolded over the last two seasons should have provided him with a big slice of humble pie. Whether he's opted to take a few bites is unknown. While he hasn't found another NFL home yet the 2024 NFL free agency process is only 3 weeks old. Lots of players still being signed every day and lots still available. According to Sportrac's tracker 40 receivers have signed and 36 remain available. Claypool is the 2nd youngest. The way things unfolded for him over recent seasons he was never going to be a tier 1 FA, probably tier 3. Regardless given he doesn't turn 26 until a couple weeks before training camp I believe some team will sign him in the next month or two.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:12 am
Searching the exclusive negotiation window states that once a player declares he wants to play in the CFL the rights holder has 10 days to offer him an ELC where upon they retain his rights for another calender year. It's a ridiculous rule 100% in favor of the team.
Do you have a current copy of CFL Bylaws? I'd love to get one. I'm still relying on a 25 year old version. What it says is that once the neg list player tells the club he'd like to sign they have 10 days to offer him a contract. If the player signs, he signs. If he balks at it the team does keep his neg list rights for 365 days IF the Commish considers the offer reasonable. If the Commish deems the offer not to be reasonable the team must immediately remove the player from their neg list.

As a NAT on the neg list Claypool is a unicorn. Neg list players are 99% Americans for which the only minimum requirement is they sign a 1+1 deal. The current CBA says undrafted NATS must adhere to the Grid "C" minimum salary which applies to those drafted in the 5th round or later or the undrafted. A new clause in the current CBA says for every year spent in the NFL a year gets removed from whichever grid applies. With 4 years under his belt the ELC (not a term found in the CBA) would not apply to Claypool.

The way I look at it if Claypool wanted $250K and turned down a Rider offer of $150K the Commish would find that reasonable and allow them to keep him on their neg list. If they offered league minimum the Commish might declare that unreasonable.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

‘That’s not part of the plan’: B.C. Lions ‘do not anticipate’ re-signing fan favourite Lucky Whitehead
By Justin Dunk -April 7, 2024

Story doesn't quote Lucky but says he still hopes to play.

“It comes down to you have to start bringing in new players,” Neil McEvoy said and "right now Lucky just doesn’t fit the mould with what we’re doing.”

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/07/that ... whitehead/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Unfortunate for Lucky given how charismatic and popular amongst the fans, and I think team mates, as he is. He just happens to be at that ugly career crossroads so many find themselves at, especially in a league operating under such a tight salary cap. Age, salary, declining production can put a player in the crosshairs for a team wanting to get cheaper and younger. It's just the business of sports.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

It's pretty funny all the outrage this story has generated one of the Lions fans Facebook groups given this is somewhat old news since Whitehead has been a FA since early February and is free to sign with any team. Dunk probably should have clarified the Lions top 4 receivers were all free agents and three of them got significant pay raises.

As excellent as the Lions marketing team is it apparently misled a number of their fans by keeping Lucky front and centre on their social media platforms like his unique transportation modes for each home games.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:52 pm
It's pretty funny all the outrage this story has generated one of the Lions fans Facebook groups given this is somewhat old news since Whitehead has been a FA since early February and is free to sign with any team. Dunk probably should have clarified the Lions top 4 receivers were all free agents and three of them got significant pay raises.

As excellent as the Lions marketing team is it apparently misled a number of their fans by keeping Lucky front and centre on their social media platforms like his unique transportation modes for each home games.
It is what it is. Lucky was very much a fan favourite whose most ardent supporters probably never considered wouldn't be back. As for marketing the team would no doubt keep recycling last year's marketing stock until they could put together their new campaign once they knew who they'd have to market once the key offseason transactions were done.
don corleone
All Star

Adding Patmon makes 20 wr on the roster headed for camp give or take a few that may yet be added or sent packing. The anticipation of which one steps into the starting role is already quite intriguing.

To think there might be two new faces with little to no tape for teams to study could lend itself well to the explosion play.

As for Lucky, I wish him well. My hunch is Rick Campbell feels he has a similar less expensive player in Terry Williams. I don't buy the fading ability at 31 story.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

don corleone wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:38 am
Adding Patmon makes 20 wr on the roster headed for camp give or take a few that may yet be added or sent packing. The anticipation of which one steps into the starting role is already quite intriguing.

To think there might be two new faces with little to no tape for teams to study could lend itself well to the explosion play.

As for Lucky, I wish him well. My hunch is Rick Campbell feels he has a similar less expensive player in Terry Williams. I don't buy the fading ability at 31 story.
Lucky's game was NOT precision route running or turning 50/50 balls into 80/20 balls, it was being the fastest guy on the field and at 30 last season I thought he had lost half a step or so.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:58 pm
don corleone wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:38 am

Lucky's game was NOT precision route running or turning 50/50 balls into 80/20 balls, it was being the fastest guy on the field and at 30 last season I thought he had lost half a step or so.
He was actually 31 last season and will turn 32 days before the 2024 season begins. I also felt he no longer has that over the top speed he displayed in 2021. BC used to like going deep with Lucky and also getting the ball to him quickly out on the flat with the idea he can make the first guy miss and pick up YAC yards. In 2023 he very rarely made the first guy miss.

That may be due to what seems like ankle problems which seem to have nagged him for 2 years now. That has me thinking they may be chronic to the point it's a gamble to think he'll return to 2021 form. The risks are too great to offer money anywhere near his last contract and who knows what other moves and extensions would not be possible if they were to give him something close.

I wouldn't have objected a return at a significant hair cut, to his salary, not to his head. I don't know if that was ever offered. Doesn't seem like it. It's one thing that BC hasn't brought him back yet but perhaps there's a sign that nobody else has picked him up either. I'm a bit cold hearted in these things as I became a real believer in Wally's theory that it's better to move on a year too early than a year too late.

Interestingly there's quite a long list of veteran former star receivers still unsigned; Lucky, Manny, Ellingson, Wieneke, Duke Williams, Derek Walker.
don corleone
All Star

Reminds me of the old expression there are always two reasons for most things and one is usually a good reason.

Measurables are easy to point to as a basis for a decision. Many said the Philpots were too slow. Herdmans got the same rap at their combine. Not every wide out in the league is a burner.

At the same time the coach needs to have the authority and bear the responsibility of making personnel decisions.

Lucky's game imo was as a returner that morphed into the receiver role. Breaking his wrist or hand followed by the ankle injuries didn't help solidify his spot. Football is a tough game to play. It will be interesting to see who fills that spot.

Missed Shaq Evans on your list and I still expect Derel Walker to be in camp with the Ti Cats although not betting big on that one. They already announced Duke will not be back but no mention of Walker.
OV:54-40
Starter

IMO - a really nice receiving corps has a good blend of speed, size, good route runners, very good hands = diversity - so not 4 or 5 burner smurfs with questionable hands, and not 4 or 5 slower possession types.

Should be a very competitive TC to see who steps up to replace Whitehead as maybe the field stretcher deep threat; though Hollins has good speed and McInnis too for a big receiver; the Lions already have the size / physical types with Cottoy, Hatcher & McInnis. A new guy stepping up to be a threat and have a strong season could make for a league best receiving corps.

An most CFL teams should be steering clear of that list of veteran receivers who were formerly very good in the CFL (i thought Ellingson, for example, would be very good for the Als, but he along with Duke Williams or Shaq Evans were real bombs last year - lost a step, nicked with injuries or just not into playing hard anymore) = better off to find a young, new guy IMO (cheaper likely too); I could see a vet type (like Manny) being kept around as back-up & leader, but not necessarily need for that type.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:32 pm
IMO - a really nice receiving corps has a good blend of speed, size, good route runners, very good hands = diversity - so not 4 or 5 burner smurfs with questionable hands, and not 4 or 5 slower possession types.

Should be a very competitive TC to see who steps up to replace Whitehead as maybe the field stretcher deep threat; though Hollins has good speed and McInnis too for a big receiver; the Lions already have the size / physical types with Cottoy, Hatcher & McInnis. A new guy stepping up to be a threat and have a strong season could make for a league best receiving corps.

An most CFL teams should be steering clear of that list of veteran receivers who were formerly very good in the CFL (i thought Ellingson, for example, would be very good for the Als, but he along with Duke Williams or Shaq Evans were real bombs last year - lost a step, nicked with injuries or just not into playing hard anymore) = better off to find a young, new guy IMO (cheaper likely too); I could see a vet type (like Manny) being kept around as back-up & leader, but not necessarily need for that type.
I think Eberhardt stands a good chance to take up Lucky's spot. He could well be to 2024 as Hollins was to 2023 and Hatcher to 2022; that guy who is more than capable but couldn't get onto the game roster due to the depth ahead of him.

Fulgham is the newcomer who intrigues me most. His NFL draft profile seems to echo that of Dalton Schoen, struggles against press coverage by corners and to gain separation in press and too gradual in his turns. If he lines in the slot the waggle and wide open CFL spaces should minimize those issues which are big in the NFL with no waggle. Strengths sound Burnham-like; quick to turn and locate the ball, accurate adjustments as ball-tracker, mid-air ballerina with body control to twist and secure the catch, highest point stabber with excellent timing to maximize his leaps. Also noted as a "sticky" blocker with strong hands and desire to finish his blocks.

Overall they seem to have a good cross-section of sizes and body types amongst the 19 (not counting Hatcher) who are on the roster now.

Love Manny but don't see a fit. Last year BC's standard game roster had 6 receivers plus Williams. With Campbell's love of defensive rotations and the need to man up to run them they will again go with 6 receivers + Williams and 6 OL. As such the game day roster is will have 3 NATs with Cottoy, McInnis and Harty plus 3 American starters (Hollins + 2 to be determined) with Williams, assuming he wins the returner job, providing in-game injury replacement depth. BC wants to inject some younger blood as part of a slow roster turnover. All they could really offer Manny is a spot on the 1G or PR in a "break glass in case of emergency" role. I can't see him being willing to do that.