Lions' receivers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The topic has been touched on in the free agency thread, but one of the biggest questions heading into training camp is who will replace Keon Hatcher and Lucky Whitehead in the Lions' starting receiving corps, at least until Hatcher returns from injury, which could be late in the season.

Whitehead, who remains unsigned for 2024, didn't have a great 2023 season but he still ranked third behind Hatcher and Alexander Hollins in receiving targets and catches and fourth in yards, behind Jevon Cottoy. Most importantly, Hatcher and Whitehead filled the boundary slot and WR (X) positions that are a major focal point of the Lions' offence. Together, including games where others filled in for those receivers due to injury, the two boundary receiving positions accounted for 152 catches on 236 targets for 2,188 yards in 2023. That amounted to roughly 38% of the Lions' passing attack.

It can safely be assumed that Hollins, Cottoy and Justin McInnis will be three regular starters this year, but that trio played mainly on the wide (field) side of the formation last year. Hollins started two games at boundary WR when Whitehead was injured and could be moved permanently to that side, but he did so well as a deep threat from the opposite side of the formation that I would be tempted to leave him there. Others who could be in the mix for starting positions include former Philadelphia Eagle Travis Fulgham, kick returner Terry Williams, who backed up Whitehead last year but was targeted in the passing game only 6 times, and 2023 practice roster players Ayden Eberhardt and Jamarius Way. I know director of player personnel Ryan Rigmaiden is high on several new signees but it's tough for a receiver without CFL experience to step into a starting position, especially on the boundary side of the field.

If nothing else, this will be one of the key position groups to watch at training camp after two years with little turnover.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I thought they still had Josh Pearson who impressed in 2022 TC and hauled in something like a 66 yard bomb vs Winnipeg in his second regular season game before blowing a knee later in the game. But I see he's no longer on the roster. If there's one area I have extreme confidence in Rigmaiden's group's ability to recruit it's at receiver.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV:54-40
Starter

Jake Harty is a decent addition for depth - more just an ok possession receiver but also a real tough ST guy. I guess Dan Peterman is still around but maybe just a depth guy that they don't have much faith in - played very well for the Bombers when first in the league and has some speed, but maybe could get replaced.

Might be worth a look at drafting a receiver fairly high? Big 6-6 target Nick Mardner (BC roots maybe?) has been on the CFL Scouting Bureau's Top 20 prospects list and has played at several Div I programs but done little to nothing the past couple of seasons. Former Hec winner Kevin Mital (Laval) could be a real good one; also several time Q all-star Darius Simmons (McGill) might be around mid to late rounds.
don corleone
Starter

Harty was the guy Chris Edwards got into it with ending up with the suspension and ticket out of the league. Definitely willing to get involved and a similar game to Corey Watson and Rasheed Bailey imo. Campbell would know him from their Ottawa days.

Just noticed Jamarius Way is another large body and only 27 that makes for an interesting prospect. Kudos to the recruitment team for finding him. Lions should be good at receiver. If anything I may invite Shaq Evans to camp.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Way is a big body with a big catch radius. His NFL scouting report listed him at 6'3-1/2" with a 6'7-1/2" wingspan. Strengths were size, strong on coming up with 50/50 balls, uses frame well to block out receivers and very competitive. If he can get his hands on the ball he usually comes down it. Weaknesses were his competitiveness can lead to frustration and undisciplined penalties, slow to get going and not good at battling through press. The latter two are red flags for the NFL game. Dalton Schoen was critiqued for the same. However in the CFL the waggle makes those things much less of a problem.

BC must like something because he's been around since they first signed him late in 2019 to a contract for the 2020 season which never happened. He came back again for 2022 training camp. He impressed throughout camp and had 7 catches for 87 yards and 1 TD in 2 preseason games before being sidelined with an elbow injury. BC brought him back to the PR later in the season. I don't know what he was up to in 2023 but BC signed him again last November.
don corleone
Starter

3000 yards between Hollins, Cottoy, and McInnis would be huge which still leaves 1800 for the others to get V.A. to 4800 yds which is about where I have him slotted in. Still plenty of time and there will be training camp cuts but I think they add one more receiver of note. As is losing Hollins to injury would be difficult to replace for what he does in the lineup.

Looks to me like Josh Pearson ended the season on the practice roster.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:22 pm
3000 yards between Hollins, Cottoy, and McInnis would be huge which still leaves 1800 for the others to get V.A. to 4800 yds which is about where I have him slotted in. Still plenty of time and there will be training camp cuts but I think they add one more receiver of note. As is losing Hollins to injury would be difficult to replace for what he does in the lineup.

Looks to me like Josh Pearson ended the season on the practice roster.
I'm quite OK with where they are at with receivers. Eberhardt and Daughtry were both very impressive in camp last year. Both could play in the slot or outside. Either one could be the next Hatcher or Hollins; receivers who were more than capable and ready for prime time but needing room to be made on the game roster to get a shot. Way also impressed at 2022 camp and preseason before getting hurt. They've also added some good size for slot positions in Bonds, Cotton, Feltham and Sample along with some smaller guys for the outside.

Reality is they have one spot to fill for the full season and another for however long Hatcher isn't available. I think they have more than enough candidates to fill those two needs. As for "receivers of note" all I see are some guys who were very good in the past but who are already on a noticeable downward trajectory. I very much trust Rigmaiden's proven ability to recruit receivers and see no need to try recycling a declining vet in favour of somebody who could be here for years to come
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:58 pm
I'm quite OK with where they are at with receivers. Eberhardt and Daughtry were both very impressive in camp last year. Both could play in the slot or outside. Either one could be the next Hatcher or Hollins; receivers who were more than capable and ready for prime time but needing room to be made on the game roster to get a shot. Way also impressed at 2022 camp and preseason before getting hurt. They've also added some good size for slot positions in Bonds, Cotton, Feltham and Sample along with some smaller guys for the outside.

Reality is they have one spot to fill for the full season and another for however long Hatcher isn't available. I think they have more than enough candidates to fill those two needs. As for "receivers of note" all I see are some guys who were very good in the past but who are already on a noticeable downward trajectory. I very much trust Rigmaiden's proven ability to recruit receivers and see no need to try recycling a declining vet in favour of somebody who could be here for years to come
You need a 1000 yd guy who can catch the ball in cold weather. Eric Rogers in his prime.

I put Hollins at 1400 with McInnis and Cottoy both pushing 800. Stanback can't catch. No waiting on Hatcher either. If and when he is healthy they go with the better man. I'll be surprised if he plays before Labour Day. No disrespect to Hatcher.

Also agree the guy may already be on the team. Lions have a history of good recruitment at the position. Could be a time zone thing. I know they have openly moved on but Lucky fills the bill imo. Makes me wonder a bit about Dom Rhymes given the knowledge of the Hatcher injury.

Also understand it is Rick Campbell's team and he will play his guys. That is how it works.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Cottoy was already at 807 last year and McInnis at 690. I fully expect both to improve on those numbers primarily because they will be in more prominent roles. They ranked 4th and 5th in targets just ahead of Rhymes who missed 8 games. Also I think the gloves might be off for Cottoy as they start using him deeper routes than the 7.4 yard target depth of last year which was 6th shortest amongst BC's main 6 receivers. Lucky at 13.1 was 5th shortest. What will be interesting is to see how both are used. Cottoy was used as the 3rd slot i. 2023. I think he or McInnis will line up either in Rhymes or Hatcher's spot this seeing a lot more targets.

Agreed on Hatcher. I have pegged Labour Day as the over/under earliest day for him and Lee to return.

Can't be concerned about cold weather. Certainly one can't try shaping the roster for something that might not happen. Just go out and finish first and it's absolutely a non-factor. BC has only 1 road game left after September 6th and that's on Thanksgiving weekend in Regina. The only possible cold weather games they can play are the WSF Nov 2 if they finish 3rd or WDF Nov 9 if they come in 2nd and advance. One thing for sure with climate change being what it is cold weather ain't what it used to be......even on the Prairies in the first 10 days of November.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think the reality of the salary cap with 6 receivers on a roster, at least one and maybe two of the 6 need to be on their 1st contract at a low price minimum $$. In other words Rhymes and Lucky were deemed too expensive.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:49 pm
I think the reality of the salary cap with 6 receivers on a roster, at least one and maybe two of the 6 need to be on their 1st contract at a low price minimum $$. In other words Rhymes and Lucky were deemed too expensive.
The SMS is really a 46 piece jig saw puzzle with some extra pieces aka the PR. Success in assembling the puzzle always requires turning some of the expensive older pieces over in favour of some new inexpensive pieces. The worst position to be in is trying to fill needs with vet free agents. That is always the most expensive way to build a roster.

It's not necessarily bad to be spending more for a position group like receivers as long as you can offset it with young, inexpensive, impact players at another position group.
don corleone
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:49 pm
I'm still surprised by the reported $220,000 deal Lions gave Alexander Hollins and can only assume that is a maxed out number including performance bonuses and marketing. Maybe $175,000 going against the salary cap which is still a big number.

Terry Godwin who played well for Hamilton is a similar style imo player whom I bet signed for much less. Every receiver in the league will be using Hollins deal as leverage now.

Cottoy got a good deal as well so you are probably right that they will be looking for an ELC to step up.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:14 pm
Cottoy was already at 807 last year and McInnis at 690. I fully expect both to improve on those numbers primarily because they will be in more prominent roles. They ranked 4th and 5th in targets just ahead of Rhymes who missed 8 games. Also I think the gloves might be off for Cottoy as they start using him deeper routes than the 7.4 yard target depth of last year which was 6th shortest amongst BC's main 6 receivers. Lucky at 13.1 was 5th shortest. What will be interesting is to see how both are used. Cottoy was used as the 3rd slot i. 2023. I think he or McInnis will line up either in Rhymes or Hatcher's spot this seeing a lot more targets.
Cottoy and McInnis are big, sure-handed targets who were under-utilized in 2023, and have a lot of room to improve on their 2023 statistics.

Cottoy wasn't widely used in the passing game until the second half of the 2023 season. Only 27 of his 68 targets came in the first 9 games of the season.

McInnis accumulated most of his 690 yards in 11 starts, primarily while filling in for Keon Hatcher and Dominique Rhymes.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I have yet to come across any information on the contracts for Hollins, Cottoy or Hatcher beyond the lengths of the contracts. One thing I've learned in the past two years is that the rumoured salaries usually turn out to be exaggerated once things are clarified with the salary disclosure reports that start being released by 3D in mid-April. I'll wait for those to come out next month because they are far more reliable than February hearsay. One evident tendency is for rumoured "salaries" to turn out to be the max value. For some hard money and max are one and the same. For most though the rumoured "salary" relies on the player hitting on each and every performance incentive included in the contracts. Last year Mathieu Betts did hit on all his incentives making him an exception. Most hit on a few. Many don't collect on any.

Lucky Whitehead was a great example. For all the numbers bandied about it turned out his contract had a relatively modest hard money amount but was heavily laden with incentives. His 2022 deal called for $132K in hard money. He would earn $54K in play time bonuses topping out at $184K. He failed to cash in on the last of the $17K bonuses and never cashed in on the $5K bonuses for each kick returned for a TD. He redid that deal in 2023 cutting way back on the incentives in favour of a higher hard money content of $159K. He again didn't return a kick for a TD that would have resulted in $5K per instance. $184K in 2022 and $159K in 2023 is far from the $200K+ he was initially reported to have signed for.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Farhan offered some info on the receiver salaries back in January but as you suggested no word if this includes all bonus incentives reached.
#BCLions asked Rhymes to restructure his deal, he declined, knowing there will be interest in #CFLFA
Hollins deal pays 220 & 230k.
Hatcher will make 220 & 230k in 25-26 (closer to minimum in ‘24 due to inj).
Lucky likely headed to FA.
Cottoy a priority to get resigned.
@CFLonTSN
Cottoy will also be over 200k and I expect they’ll find a way to get him back
So Hatcher's new deal essentially kicks in 2025. Never did hear what McInnis signed for in 2023 but can't think they can afford a 4th receiver in 2025 making $200k if he has a big season.