Lions' receivers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV:54-40 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:32 pm
IMO - a really nice receiving corps has a good blend of speed, size, good route runners, very good hands = diversity - so not 4 or 5 burner smurfs with questionable hands, and not 4 or 5 slower possession types.

Should be a very competitive TC to see who steps up to replace Whitehead as maybe the field stretcher deep threat; though Hollins has good speed and McInnis too for a big receiver; the Lions already have the size / physical types with Cottoy, Hatcher & McInnis. A new guy stepping up to be a threat and have a strong season could make for a league best receiving corps.

An most CFL teams should be steering clear of that list of veteran receivers who were formerly very good in the CFL (i thought Ellingson, for example, would be very good for the Als, but he along with Duke Williams or Shaq Evans were real bombs last year - lost a step, nicked with injuries or just not into playing hard anymore) = better off to find a young, new guy IMO (cheaper likely too); I could see a vet type (like Manny) being kept around as back-up & leader, but not necessarily need for that type.
I think Eberhardt stands a good chance to take up Lucky's spot. He could well be to 2024 as Hollins was to 2023 and Hatcher to 2022; that guy who is more than capable but couldn't get onto the game roster due to the depth ahead of him.

Fulgham is the newcomer who intrigues me most. His NFL draft profile seems to echo that of Dalton Schoen, struggles against press coverage by corners and to gain separation in press and too gradual in his turns. If he lines in the slot the waggle and wide open CFL spaces should minimize those issues which are big in the NFL with no waggle. Strengths sound Burnham-like; quick to turn and locate the ball, accurate adjustments as ball-tracker, mid-air ballerina with body control to twist and secure the catch, highest point stabber with excellent timing to maximize his leaps. Also noted as a "sticky" blocker with strong hands and desire to finish his blocks.

Overall they seem to have a good cross-section of sizes and body types amongst the 19 (not counting Hatcher) who are on the roster now.

Love Manny but don't see a fit. Last year BC's standard game roster had 6 receivers plus Williams. With Campbell's love of defensive rotations and the need to man up to run them they will again go with 6 receivers + Williams and 6 OL. As such the game day roster is will have 3 NATs with Cottoy, McInnis and Harty plus 3 American starters (Hollins + 2 to be determined) with Williams, assuming he wins the returner job, providing in-game injury replacement depth. BC wants to inject some younger blood as part of a slow roster turnover. All they could really offer Manny is a spot on the 1G or PR in a "break glass in case of emergency" role. I can't see him being willing to do that.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV:54-40
Starter

I wasn't meaning to suggest the Lions should entertain a veteran presence / back-up receiver like Manny - much rather roll with young talent.

And if it's just 6 receivers on the game roster (meaning just one back-up in Harty, or 2 if you include a KR with some receiver ability like Williams), that's kinda iffy for a pass first/happy offence IMO, but maybe it works out, especially if a new guy steps up and gets plenty of targets; Harty is a vet and decent possession receiver (but very good & tough ST player); there is also the possibility of using one of the first 2 draft picks on a receiver and that guy goes into camp and shines and wins that open starter job, or beats out Harty for a spot (a receiver like Mital (Laval) - might be there at #6/doubtful at #15) - but I would not count on that thinking being tried.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:13 pm
I wasn't meaning to suggest the Lions should entertain a veteran presence / back-up receiver like Manny - much rather roll with young talent.

And if it's just 6 receivers on the game roster (meaning just one back-up in Harty, or 2 if you include a KR with some receiver ability like Williams), that's kinda iffy for a pass first/happy offence IMO, but maybe it works out, especially if a new guy steps up and gets plenty of targets; Harty is a vet and decent possession receiver (but very good & tough ST player); there is also the possibility of using one of the first 2 draft picks on a receiver and that guy goes into camp and shines and wins that open starter job, or beats out Harty for a spot (a receiver like Mital (Laval) - might be there at #6/doubtful at #15) - but I would not count on that thinking being tried.
The Lions need another national receiver for depth and development. They had veteran nationals Justin McInnis and Daniel Petermann last year . Petermann dressed as a backup whenever McInnis filled in for one of the American starters. With McInnis likely to be a second national starter this year along with Jevon Cottoy, the only other national WRs under contract are Jake Harty and former Westshore Rebel Kieran Poissant. I'd love to see the Lions add at least one national receiver in the draft, ideally with one of their first two picks.
OV:54-40
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:35 pm

The Lions need another national receiver for depth and development. They had veteran nationals Justin McInnis and Daniel Petermann last year . Petermann dressed as a backup whenever McInnis filled in for one of the American starters. With McInnis likely to be a second national starter this year along with Jevon Cottoy, the only other national WRs under contract are Jake Harty and former Westshore Rebel Kieran Poissant. I'd love to see the Lions add at least one national receiver in the draft, ideally with one of their first two picks.
Ok, so they use a top draft pick on a good receiver prospect, and where does the guy fit in? Under Hambone's scenario there are only 6 real receivers dressed: Cottoy, Hollins, Hatcher & McInnis + a new import guy as the starting 5, plus Harty as an experienced back-up (plus a real good ST guy), with a KR like Williams able to do some receiver duty as need be; so the top draft pick does not dress but is stashed on the PR (poach-able by other teams?) or the IR to "develop" ?

Makes more sense if they are willing to dress 7 receivers (which IMO makes sense for a 5 position group starter crew - just like dressing only one back-up O-lineman for a 5 starter group is risky and myopic IMO).

Aim higher with top draft picks and maybe you net a Clermont type who can play receiver reps right away (plus maybe be a good ST guy).
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:35 pm

I don't disagree with that although I peg OL as the highest priority. I think they have a good chance of getting an OL at 6. Receiver might be a bit more iffy. A Mardner could be gone. They might not want to take the second receiver they have on their board so early and he could be gone or they might see him as a reach at 15. Sometimes the draft cards fall into place to fit your priorities. Other times they don't.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.