CFL Coaching & GM Changes for 2024

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

A lot of why Buck was suggested as the leader was his arrival time as unlike Mace who didn't get to meet the staff at the office, Buck did.

I struggled believing he'd actually take that Rider job if offered based on all I had read before the recent news that his heart wasn't really into a move.

A really good Jamie Nye assessment of the HC hiring and Corey Mace.
Jamie Nye: Corey Mace ticks all the boxes in Riderville
Saskatoon / 650 CKOM
CKOM News
Dec 1, 2023 | 9:28 AM
https://www.ckom.com/2023/12/01/jamie-n ... iderville/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I wasn’t aware of Buck’s family situation, with his wife being from Winnipeg and having serious health issues. He is in a familiar and comfortable place. Head coaching opportunities will come again.
don corleone
Starter

I think both the Cory Mace and Cody Fajardo recent "mission statements" would have been just as effective without the F bomb and not sure why we glamorize quite so much. Not everything is better than it used to be. IMHO only.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:18 am
I think both the Cory Mace and Cody Fajardo recent "mission statements" would have been just as effective without the F bomb and not sure why we glamorize quite so much. Not everything is better than it used to be. IMHO only.
I can't speak to the Corey Mace single-use F-bomb but the Fajardo F-bombed speech was made an issue of as most have never heard Fajardo swear including Jason Maas his former OC and now HC. Players on the Als said the Fajardo speech was more notable as it had F-bombs from a guy who never uses the word.

Nowadays the sidelines mics are picking up F-bombs in games.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Tommy Condell signs on as OC for the Ottawa RedBlacks and Ryan Dinwiddie just craps all over the Pinball Clemons and MLSE message about long-term stability in signing Dinwiddie to that extension mid-season along with Chad Kelly. Both Condell and Khari Jones ended their jobs not calling plays that helped their QBs.
Ottawa Redblacks hire Tommy Condell as offensive coordinator
By 3Down Staff -December 4, 2023
https://3downnation.com/2023/12/04/otta ... ordinator/

If I were MLSE and Pinball I'd be freaking livid at this interview by Dinwiddie who would be likely back home coaching HS as a coach if not for the CFL.
For all the good that the Argos did on the field is squandered when your HC is letting the entire football world know they're open to other jobs.

I lost a lot of respect for this guy going on a US network saying this.

Yah, I get it, he says he's open only BUT MLSE and the Argos made a huge deal of his LT contract extension as solidifying their future.
Dinwiddie has been around long enough to know how this story blows up and gets magnified.

This article even talks how he'd interview for these jobs outside the CFL!!
Argos’ Ryan Dinwiddie would consider ‘any NFL opportunity that’s the right fit’

The podcast where Dinwiddie says he'd leave Argos might have been based on Boise State looking for a new HC and his name in this article of potential candidates. Since the interview Boise hired a new HC.

The podcast sounds like he's down as it was right after the GC.
RYAN DINWIDDIE: FORMER BOISE STATE STAR ON HIS CFL COACHING AWARD - AND THE BRONCOS' COACHING VACANCY

Some odd things here:

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2023/11/3 ... -danielson

Context is everything but he sure seems down since the East Final.
"What am I doing next? I'm bored."

Dinwiddie in the long spec list of potential HC's and says they know where to find him.

One podcaster says he 's interested in that job, other no. How he talks in this podcast has mixed messages. Seriously sounds down.

https://3downnation.com/2023/12/04/argo ... right-fit/

Dinwiddie in the long spec list of potential HC's and says they know where to find him.
Who could be tabbed as Boise State’s next football coach?
No leaks and no confirmed interviewees outside of Spencer Danielson. In today’s world, Jeramiah Dickey has done the unthinkable by keeping everything under wraps.

By AidenPetterson02@AidenPetterson Nov 30, 2023, 9:00am PST 6 Comments / 6 New
Spencer Danielson
Boise State Broncos football / Head coach
Image of Who is the head coach of Boise State football?
BOISE, Idaho – Spencer Danielson has been named the head coach of Boise State football, director of athletics Jeramiah Dickey announced Sunday, subject to approval by the Idaho State Board of Education. Danielson becomes the 12th head coach in Boise State's history as a four-year institution.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:52 pm
Tommy Condell signs on as OC for the Ottawa RedBlacks and Ryan Dinwiddie just craps all over the Pinball Clemons and MLSE message about long-term stability in signing Dinwiddie to that extension mid-season along with Chad Kelly. Both Condell and Khari Jones ended their jobs not calling plays that helped their QBs.
Ottawa Redblacks hire Tommy Condell as offensive coordinator
https://3downnation.com/2023/12/04/otta ... ordinator/

If I were MLSE and Pinball I'd be freaking livid at this interview by Dinwiddie who would be likely back home coaching HS as a coach if not for the CFL.
For all the good that the Argos did on the field is squandered when your HC is letting the entire football world know they're open to other jobs.

I lost a lot of respect for this guy going on a US network saying this.

Yah, I get it, he says he's open only BUT MLSE and the Argos made a huge deal of his LT contract extension as solidifying their future.
Dinwiddie has been around long enough to know how this story blows up and gets magnified.

This article even talks how he'd interview for these jobs outside the CFL!!
Argos’ Ryan Dinwiddie would consider ‘any NFL opportunity that’s the right fit’

The podcast where Dinwiddie says he'd leave Argos might have been based on Boise State looking for a new HC and his name in this article of potential candidates. Since the interview Boise hired a new HC.

The podcast sounds like he's down as it was right after the GC.
RYAN DINWIDDIE: FORMER BOISE STATE STAR ON HIS CFL COACHING AWARD - AND THE BRONCOS' COACHING VACANCY

Some odd things here:

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2023/11/3 ... -danielson

Context is everything but he sure seems down since the East Final.
"What am I doing next? I'm bored."

One podcaster says he 's interested in that job, other no. How he talks in this podcast has mixed messages. Seriously sounds down.

https://3downnation.com/2023/12/04/argo ... right-fit/

Who could be tabbed as Boise State’s next football coach?
No leaks and no confirmed interviewees outside of Spencer Danielson. In today’s world, Jeramiah Dickey has done the unthinkable by keeping everything under wraps.

By AidenPetterson02@AidenPetterson Nov 30, 2023, 9:00am PST 6 Comments / 6 New
Spencer Danielson
Boise State Broncos football / Head coach
Image of Who is the head coach of Boise State football?
BOISE, Idaho – Spencer Danielson has been named the head coach of Boise State football, director of athletics Jeramiah Dickey announced Sunday, subject to approval by the Idaho State Board of Education. Danielson becomes the 12th head coach in Boise State's history as a four-year institution.
^^^I think the above is an overreaction to Dinwiddie's 3D Nation interview. Coaches are hired to be fired, even with a long term contract. I got the impression that when Dinwiddie signed the long term contract with the Argos, it was understood up front that he would leave if the right NFL or NCAA job offer came along. So, Argos know what they are getting and know that due to NFL, NCAA big dollars and prestige, CFL contracts have to be flexible enough to allow the coach or player to still pursue their lifelong NFL dream.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Dano, I agree that in pro coaching these guys have to keep their eyes open as to their future prospects if they end up losing their job - especially the assistant coaches who aren't paid the big dollars.

Ryan Dinwiddie is no dummy but he should look at how other CFL coaches fared exiting south - Milanovich, Chris Jones, Trestman. Jones was the luckiest of that group but look at the mess he created for himself in Edmonton. I bet they regret that hiring given the position their franchise is in now.

If you google Dinwiddie and NFL, the coverage it's giving the Argos is negative. Exactly what MLSE said they wanted to avoid with the long-term extension of RD as HC.

I just listened to Jim Barker on the Rod Pedersen show and he's a big booster of Corey Mace including his ability to attract players and coaches so Argos and Stamps could be vulnerable in free agency. I gather he's taking Marc Mueller as his OC from Calgary but other coaches from Toronto might be attracted to exit given how Mace is regarded.

I look at Amar Doman putting his money at risk with BC Lions and when negative CFL news ends up promoting the CFL as some sort of backwater to get out of, it pisses this fan off.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Tiger-Cats name Ed Hervey GM, Orlondo Steinauer focusing on president of football operations role
By 3Down Staff -December 5, 2023
https://3downnation.com/2023/12/05/tige ... ions-role/

Ever since the hiring of Kent Austin with crazy structure Hamilton continued that sort of stuff with Steinhauer as President and HC.

Not sure how it works with a President of Football Ops and you're the GM unless both are really on the same page - especially if it dilutes a GM's normal duties that other GMs etc think the role is about.

I think Steinhaeur is a very good coach but when your star QB BLM goes down twice and his able back up in Shiltz goes down, any HC will look bad.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:29 am
Tiger-Cats name Ed Hervey GM, Orlondo Steinauer focusing on president of football operations role
By 3Down Staff -December 5, 2023
https://3downnation.com/2023/12/05/tige ... ions-role/

Ever since the hiring of Kent Austin with crazy structure Hamilton continued that sort of stuff with Steinhauer as President and HC.

Not sure how it works with a President of Football Ops and you're the GM unless both are really on the same page - especially if it dilutes a GM's normal duties that other GMs etc think the role is about.

I think Steinhaeur is a very good coach but when your star QB BLM goes down twice and his able back up in Shiltz goes down, any HC will look bad.
I assume either Scott Milanovich or Mark Washington will be promoted to head coach, with Milanovich being the odds-on choice.
don corleone
Starter

Very happy for Ed Hervey and looking forward to seeing this play out. Good move on Hamilton's part imo.

Thing about Ed is "he don't sleep". Slim odds he names Claybrooks HC.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Ed Hervey is a bit of a Maverick so it is good for the TiCats to have Steinauer as Head of Football Ops to real Hervey in, so to speak, when needs be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The other name that came up around the GC cup talk is the return of June Jones. He quit to let Steinhauer take over I think but for me that's not likely to build long term where I think the Bombers are at. It's another short term rental only.

If Sask rumours are true Milanovich wants to be home in Florida or whereever and for them too much control so that might hurt that choice.

I still don't get why he doesn't take GM and HC only or co-GM and HC. No one is a good HC when your QB goes down and the back up isn't there to take over.
don corleone
Starter

Still questions for me with the Ti Cat Org chart that go back to the decision to start Matt Shiltz in the playoff game with some speculating Scott Milanovich had input into the call.

Also reported that Milanovich is already under contract for next year which puts Hervey in a bit of a lame duck situation if Milanovich is named HC and basically continues to report to Steinhauer especially if there is a difference of opinion on personnel. Not sure if S.M. and E.H. share the same vision.

That said it sounds like a done deal.

As for Bo, Dave Dickenson could use help and would be a purrfect fit imo.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:14 am

I look at Amar Doman putting his money at risk with BC Lions and when negative CFL news ends up promoting the CFL as some sort of backwater to get out of, it pisses this fan off.
Speaking of Doman Toppy, there was a recent column in the Edmonton Sun on the potential of the Elks going to private ownership.

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/columni ... -ownership

What jumped out of me was this:
Numerous internet searches failed to provide a credible figure of what the Elks are worth. We do know the B.C. Lions sale was $35 million.
$35 million. Really? When Mr. Braley was still alive he was asking for around $20 million when a group led by Mark Woodall was offering $10 million back in 2019.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... nt-to-sell

So coming off the pandemic and what amounted to a estate sale Doman paid $35 million?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Elks are in tough and I'd put my finger on Chris Jones hiring and his first year circus as he did in Riderville that year for making it even worse.

New hires in the CFL seem in avoidance of the circus type HCs.
How much does it cost to buy the BC Lions?
While terms of the deal weren't disclosed, the last offer on the table for the club — from the consortium bid of Mark Woodall and Moray Keith — was in the $12-million range. The club had little revenue with the 2020 CFL season cancelled, and its worrisome finances have been well-documented over the last two years.Aug 18, 2021
That offer wasn't accepted but there is no way he paid $35 million for the Lions given Covid as a back drop and the crowd.

Speaking of crowd, CS Place was rocking for Christine Sinclair who inspired a generation or two of young girls and boys to play soccer. Heard on TV it was 48,000 and I think tickets were about $45 (not 100%) sure of that.