West Final: Lions at Bombers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

maxlion wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:34 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:22 pm
I’ve been a Lions’ fan since 1963, and lived through a lot of lean years when the team wasn’t competitive. Despite the finish, the 2023 Lions have been one of the most exciting teams to watch in 60 years. The entertainment on the field,
in the stadium and engagement in the community has been top notch. I plan to be in the stands at Hillside Stadium for training camp next May and in B.C. Place for the Grey Cup next November. This team has a solid nucleus of players. I hope the Lions’ braintrust can find the missing pieces to get them over the hump and into the big game.
I agree and appreciate your optimism. The Bombers are a powerhouse, solid from top to bottom. We are knocking on the door but missing a few key pieces. I think we have good coaches and management in place for the most part. Looking forward to next year.
Thanks fellows. I echo your thoughts. Sums up how I feel about things as well. An entertaining year indeed. Thanks Leos! And thanks Lionbackers! Hope is alive for next season. Cheers.
don corleone
Starter

It was a close game. In the immortal words of Craig Dickenson "the boys played hard".

It was always going to be tough and the noise the crowd made to make plays difficult deserves retribution at some point. Looking forward to that.

I felt there was a series of calls in the 3rd quarter when the game was 18 - 13 that went the Bombers way including a chintzy off side on David Mackie that took a nice Hollins reception and first down off the board and another on Mike Jones for incidental contact when the receiver basically ran into him no where close to the play that extended a Bomber drive. Still the defense was resilient in limiting Winnipeg to field goals.

Looked to me like the player contacted the kicker before the ball on the punt block. Turned out to be a very big play.

Winnipeg took 4 penalties for 35 yds vs the Lions being penalized for 91. Included was a roughing the passer call in the last minute that was a minor bonus. If the game had been tied I wonder if they would have called it. While it wasn't overly blatant I felt the home team got the calls all day long. On back to back plays Kenny Lawler made sideline catches where the next play was whistled in and ran before a challenge could be thrown. Very possible the right call was made and not the first complaint of that nature this year. Bad call IMO on Rhymes for face masking when the players helmet came off after the interception as well. Again during that same time span in the third quarter.

Overall I would have liked to see some Dane Evans mixed in but they never did it all year so why now. Smoke actually averaged 7.5 yds on his 5 carries so that wasn't all bad either.

Reflecting after the game I was reminded of the 2016 Redblacks with their potent receiving corp. Could be that is what Rick Campbell likes. Missing a good blocker like William Powell was my conclusion .

All that said, there are a lot of things to like about the direction the team is going. Looking forward to the off season moves and next season already.

Side bonus will be good odds against the Als winning the GC where they have a very good chance to win.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:18 pm
Use the challenge flag, what is the worst that can happen.
I don't typically get angry at a PI call against the Lions when I saw but those 50/50 calls against BC and where BC didn't challenge I did for the first time that I recall yell at the TV and scare the dog!

I don't think a loss where effort is not questionable - in fact it was the opposite.

The few lessons in sports come every game win or lose.
The best teams - coaches and players - learn the lesson and adjust.

Inability to the run the ball was never part of any lessons learned because it's not part of their coaching philosophy that has been part of BC Lions during the Mike Reilly era where coaches rely on the passing of their QB.

It'd be a dream come true if BC decided that it was time to be multi-faceted on offense next season.
It's not the fault of either RB - the dysfunction running game is in the system.

It was odd that with VA holding the ball too long and Bombers coming through the line, they didn't move the pocket all.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
johnchow604
Rookie

Congrats to the Bombers. I'm a lions fan, but I'll admit a Bombers vs Argos game would be a more interesting and competitive game.

There was talk about the CFL's simulator being disrepectful with it stating the Bombers had a 90% chance of winning against the Lions. I wonder if it was wrong and the number should have actually been higher.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... -b-c-lions
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Remembrance Day 2023 is certainly a terrible day for the city of Vancouver and certainly not a day to remember with both the Lions losing their west division final and the Canucks blowing the lead and losing 5-2 in Toronto.

But not all is lost.

The UBC Thunderbirds were hosting the Hardy Cup against the University of Alberta Golden Bears. After the Thunderbirds took a quick 14-0 lead, the Golden Bears fought back to take a 27-21 lead late in the fourth quarter and with less than 2 minutes left the Thunderbirds QB threw an interception in the UBC side and all appeared to be lost with less than one minute left and U of A threatening to ice the game away at the UBC 15-yard line. However, the Thunderbirds defence managed to force a fumble turnover. With 52 seconds left at the 14-yard line, the Thunderbirds needed to go 96-yards for a touchdown. And that they did with a 13-yard TD pass in the very last play of the game with no time remaining. :rockin: :good: :thup:

The UBC Thunderbirds win the Hardy Cup with a 28-27 win and now UBC hosts the Vanier Cup semi-final (Mitchell Bowl) against St. Francis Xavier X-Men. If the Thunderbirds advance to the final, then there's a good chance that they will win the Vanier Cup especially now that the usual powerhouse Laval Rouge et Or has already been eliminated.
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
OV:54-40
Starter

Congrats to UBC on that amazing comeback.

StFX are a veteran team that might give them a good battle.

However, not sure I'd give them nor bet on them to beat either of Western or especially the Montreal Carabins in the Vanier. The Carabins have a really good D and fine dual threat QB, and have beat defending Champs Laval 3 times this season.

Maybe the Lions look at drafting one of the 2 big UBC O-linemen who are rated in the CFL Scouting Bureau's top 20 for next draft - as possible O-line upgrades ?

UBC also buoyed somewhat by adding a few ex-SFU quality players - like big-play receiver Davenport and DB Cummings.
David
Team Captain

The Leos have drafted undersized defensive linemen in the last two drafts (Francis Bemiy and Nathan Cherry) for reasons I am not entirely certain.

It is imperative that we draft Olinemen in the 2024 draft. The cupboard is rather bare with only Tyler Packer on the PR and I am not sure whether he shows promise. We clearly need to get more physical up front.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:38 pm
The Leos have drafted undersized defensive linemen in the last two drafts (Francis Bemiy and Nathan Cherry) for reasons I am not entirely certain.

It is imperative that we draft Olinemen in the 2024 draft. The cupboard is rather bare with only Tyler Packer on the PR and I am not sure whether he shows promise. We clearly need to get more physical up front.

I don't follow Usports or NCAA, so I'm asking, is there a big enough pool of decent sized and capable Canadian Olineman available? I'd think recruiting some American O line tackles would have a better chance of success. And how about some decent sized RBs?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Running backs are a dime a dozen. They should be able to sign some good RUNNING backs instead of some wanna be dancers.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:35 pm
Running backs are a dime a dozen. They should be able to sign some good RUNNING backs instead of some wanna be dancers.
You mean smurf sized wannabe dancers are a dime a dozen. Good RBs who can block, pick up blitzing LBs and DBs, can run pass routes and catch passes and don't go down on first contact...not so common.
OV:54-40
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:41 pm
David wrote:

I don't follow Usports or NCAA, so I'm asking, is there a big enough pool of decent sized and capable Canadian Olineman available? I'd think recruiting some American O line tackles would have a better chance of success. And how about some decent sized RBs?

The CFL Scouting Bureau's top prospects list (1st version) for next year's draft is very heavy with O-linemen; I mentioned the 2 big UBC all_Canadian guys, but there are several NCAA ball starters as well (a few might get an NFL look?).

And there's always bigger, more bruising RBs out there (see Oliveira & Ouellette) but the team's offensive thinkers have to like this kind of back. Guys who are maybe adequate at all 3 jobs of running, pass catching and blocking seem to be preferred by some CFL teams; but you don't need just one main RB is all - smart teams would have a 2nd or 3rd RB even they could turn to - guys with different skill-sets who provide a change of pace or different look for the Ds. And there are good Canadian RBs up every draft pretty well IMO - maybe not to Campbell types though
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:35 am
Rammer wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:18 pm
Use the challenge flag, what is the worst that can happen.
I don't typically get angry at a PI call against the Lions when I saw but those 50/50 calls against BC and where BC didn't challenge I did for the first time that I recall yell at the TV and scare the dog!

I don't think a loss where effort is not questionable - in fact it was the opposite.

The few lessons in sports come every game win or lose.
The best teams - coaches and players - learn the lesson and adjust.

Inability to the run the ball was never part of any lessons learned because it's not part of their coaching philosophy that has been part of BC Lions during the Mike Reilly era where coaches rely on the passing of their QB.

It'd be a dream come true if BC decided that it was time to be multi-faceted on offense next season.
It's not the fault of either RB - the dysfunction running game is in the system.

It was odd that with VA holding the ball too long and Bombers coming through the line, they didn't move the pocket all.

That's my biggest peeve with the coaching staff - meaningful in game adjustments. If fans could see the problem , why can't the coaches ? What game are they watching ?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:50 am
DanoT wrote:
David wrote:

The CFL Scouting Bureau's top prospects list (1st version) for next year's draft is very heavy with O-linemen; I mentioned the 2 big UBC all_Canadian guys, but there are several NCAA ball starters as well (a few might get an NFL look?).

And there's always bigger, more bruising RBs out there (see Oliveira & Ouellette) but the team's offensive thinkers have to like this kind of back. Guys who are maybe adequate at all 3 jobs of running, pass catching and blocking seem to be preferred by some CFL teams; but you don't need just one main RB is all - smart teams would have a 2nd or 3rd RB even they could turn to - guys with different skill-sets who provide a change of pace or different look for the Ds. And there are good Canadian RBs up every draft pretty well IMO - maybe not to Campbell types though
The problem I have is that they did have a second more bruising back but he was almost never used as such. If he can only block, then he is the waste of a roster position. Use all of the tools in the tool box otherwise they are just taking up space.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

DanoT wrote:
David wrote:

If their is one position that has always been deep with Canadians it's offensive line. It's weird how coaches have gotten away from playing Canadians at tackle?

Also Bemy and Cherry aren't undersized defensive lineman. Maybe undersized to play defensive tackle, but weight more than you average CFL defensive end.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:39 pm
The UBC Thunderbirds were hosting the Hardy Cup against the University of Alberta Golden Bears. After the Thunderbirds took a quick 14-0 lead, the Golden Bears fought back to take a 27-21 lead late in the fourth quarter and with less than 2 minutes left the Thunderbirds QB threw an interception in the UBC side and all appeared to be lost with less than one minute left and U of A threatening to ice the game away at the UBC 15-yard line. However, the Thunderbirds defence managed to force a fumble turnover. With 52 seconds left at the 14-yard line, the Thunderbirds needed to go 96-yards for a touchdown. And that they did with a 13-yard TD pass in the very last play of the game with no time remaining. :rockin: :good: :thup:

The UBC Thunderbirds win the Hardy Cup with a 28-27 win and now UBC hosts the Vanier Cup semi-final (Mitchell Bowl) against St. Francis Xavier X-Men. If the Thunderbirds advance to the final, then there's a good chance that they will win the Vanier Cup especially now that the usual powerhouse Laval Rouge et Or has already been eliminated.
Congratulations to our local boys, the UBC Thunderbirds who after a 17-10 close game at halftime came out with a strong performance in the second half resulting in a convincing and dominating 47-17 home win :towel: :rockin: :yahoo: over the then-undefeated 8-0 St. Francis Xavier University X-Men to capture the Mitchell Bowl and advance to the Vanier Cup final where they will be going against the Université de Montréal Carabins in a rematch of the 2015 Vanier Cup.

The UBC Thunderbirds have a winning record of 4-2 in Vanier Cup appearances, with wins in 1982, 1986, 1997 and 2015 and losses in 1978 and 1987. May the UBC Thunderbirds continue this winning streak and bring home a fifth Vanier Cup. :good:

-------------------------------------

As an aside, the 2023 U Sports football season made history by adding a woman player who played a game and scored points for the first time as the University of Manitoba Bisons signed woman kicker Maya Turner who ended up kicking the game winning field goal in overtime for the Bisons in their game against the Regina Rams.

Now that there are woman CFL officials and now a woman U Sports football player, then will this trend continue with an eventual woman CFL player? :roll: :hmm:
Last edited by Robbie on Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。