Teuhema Suspended for One Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Canadian Press
October 27, 2023, 5:12 PM

The CFL suspended B.C. defensive lineman Sione Teuhema for one game Friday following an incident in last week's 41-16 loss to the Calgary Stampeders.

The six-foot-four, 249-pound Teuhema received the suspension for making unnecessary head contact with Calgary offensive lineman D’Antne Demery, then striking him. Teuhema was ejected from the game.

Teuhema, a 28-year-old American, is in his second season with B.C. He has 37 tackles (three for loss), seven sacks, and two fumble recoveries in 17 regular-season games.

Teuhema could appeal the suspension. If he does not, he'll be unable to play Saturday when the Lions host the Calgary in the West Division semifinal Nov. 4.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Farhan Lalji suspects Teuhema will appeal. A suspension for a playoff game would be a huge blow. If the Lions were scheduled to finish the regular season this week, he could have sat out without much effect.
Blitz
Team Captain

Farhan Lalji suspects Teuhema will appeal. A suspension for a playoff game would be a huge blow. If the Lions were scheduled to finish the regular season this week, he could have sat out without much effect.

I guess the league looks at the situation that the would suspend any player for a playoff game if the incident happened during the team's last regular game of the season.

Even if Teuhema appeals and able to convince the CFL that the incident was instigated due to spitting (Tuehema did not react that way out of the blue) it will not likely change the outcome. Regardless of the cause, it will still be viewed as lack of discipline on Tuehema's part.

If Tuehema loses his appeal (which I think is the likely outcome) hopefully we will beat Calgary. Tuehema was having a good season and will likely be a very motivated player when he returns to the lineup (hopefully 2023)

Tuehema finished fifth in the CFL in sacks last season. He had 2 less sacks this season than last, when he finished 6th in CFL sacks, but overall, has had another solid season for our Leos.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not sure if an appeal means the suspension only takes effect AFTER the appeals process.

In this case, there is time before the upcoming game to appeal but it will for certain be heard early next week.
More likely there is no basis for an appeal as the league won't buy any explanation as even if spat on what he did twice was suspendable.

I haven't read anything on the Lion's view of that incident other than seeing a visibly pissed-off HC rip him on the sidelines.
I assume it's a locker room secret.

The recent lack of discipline even in Betts comes as a surprise.

I'm not sure it rises to the level where a team and players address this publicly like the Edmonton player making a homophobic slur at the young Bo Levi Mitchell that was caught on the TSN broadcast sideline mic and that BLM spoke to when he was back on the bench. Even the EDMTN captains called their guy out for that.

In the silence we fans have to hope the players will be back on track next game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Typically doesn't the appeal process hold off the suspension for one game before he ultimately has to serve it?
I would almost rather them take their chances and let him serve it against the Stamps and have him available for the Western Final.

Ironically, the lone game Teuhema missed this season was the 37-9 win over Calgary back in August when Woody Baron was shifted to defensive end and Marcus Moore was activated.
tedbear
Starter

It was stupid and selfish on his part. Now he has hurt the team, organization, and fan base. I hope he takes his punishment like a man and doesn't make a joke out of the process by appealing so he can play the game.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:43 am
Typically doesn't the appeal process hold off the suspension for one game before he ultimately has to serve it?
I would almost rather them take their chances and let him serve it against the Stamps and have him available for the Western Final.

Ironically, the lone game Teuhema missed this season was the 37-9 win over Calgary back in August when Woody Baron was shifted to defensive end and Marcus Moore was activated.
I'd think if he chooses to appeal that appeal will be handled expeditiously. The league will want it all to be resolved as soon as possible as in plenty of time for BC to know if he can play the next game or not.

BC does have other options too. Moore is again healthy and sitting on the PR. They also have Nick Usher who is rush end size sitting on the 1G. He wasn't with BC back when Tuehema missed that game. I'm thinking Usher is more likely to draw in for Tuehema than a double switch of Moore and Baron. Then again the latter might give them a little bit more beef to stop the Calgary ground game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

tedbear wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:45 am
It was stupid and selfish on his part. Now he has hurt the team, organization, and fan base. I hope he takes his punishment like a man and doesn't make a joke out of the process by appealing so he can play the game.
Stupid and selfish? Quite frankly, I am not sure how I would react in the heat of the moment if someone spat on me, as was alleged. That is a highly degrading, disrespectful, and purposeful act. I am surprised that the league didn't let it go with just a fine for Teuhema, given what is at stake.

I have actually been quite impressed with his level of play this year.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Given how the game was going, with Teuhema throwing a punch, I am disappointed that he didn't get ejected right away in that game with fine to come later but no suspension.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:45 am
Given how the game was going, with Teuhema throwing a punch, I am disappointed that he didn't get ejected right away in that game with fine to come later but no suspension.
He was for all intents ejected right away. Refs just had to sort out the penalties. Once they did and asessed the two unnecessary roughness penalties he earned the automatic ejection that comes with receiving two "misconduct" penalties in the same game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.