Lions vs. Stamps Oct. 20, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Do they need a high school coach to come and show them how to do an onside kickoff?
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Taking the knee with 1:25 left?
Rammer
Team Captain

You realize that is victory formation the Lions are doing. Way to stick it to the paying customers.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Lions had a chance to create plenty of playoff buzz in this town. The air was let out of the balloon with the devastating loss to the Bombers and this putrid performance also in front of the hometown fans damages it further.

The way they are playing plus it being a semi-final against likely Calgary I can’t see a crowd bigger than 20,000. They have done the ticketing and marketing depts no favours.
randymeeks
Legend

This team doesn’t deserve to win the Western Semifinal, let alone a Grey Cup after a performance like that. There was still a chance to win the division. Obviously, our head coach and many on this team didn’t care.
"I have social skills, jackass!"
-Malcolm (Malcolm In The Middle)
Walt67
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:24 pm
Add undisciplined to a pourous defence
So selfish - terribly depressing to watch. It seems the intensity of today's players leads to more late and post-play penalties - but I'm at the point of calling out Campbell and Phillips for a defence that hands first downs away on penalties like candy at Halloween. This is yet another reminder that the CFL is a long campaign and what shines in July can stink in October.
All of a sudden I don't feel good at all about the Western semi.
Not. At. All.
Walt67
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:02 pm
Lions had a chance to create plenty of playoff buzz in this town. The air was let out of the balloon with the devastating loss to the Bombers and this putrid performance also in front of the hometown fans damages it further.

The way they are playing plus it being a semi-final against likely Calgary I can’t see a crowd bigger than 20,000. They have done the ticketing and marketing depts no favours.
Sammy, we long-time Lions fans have seen this same playbook over and over and over and over again over the years. I wish I knew why this team repeatedly hits the skids just as the paying public starts to pay attention. I feel bad for the owner, frankly, as Doman deserved a better return for everything he has sunk into the game experience - and then the players just don't show up - physically and mentally.
The only intensity I would see is when players would take endless stupid, selfish and mind-numbing penalties - not plays that win football games but macho displays that come at the cost of the team. Much as I like Campbell as a guy - and he has led the team to second place - the endless lack of discipline is a recipe for an early departure from the post-season.
You just throw up your hands and try to forget the whole sorry mess.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lack of a run game, inability to stop the run, unreliable short yardage game means the Lions will be going nowhere in the playoffs.

The Lions letting James Butler go in free agency with no adequate replacement represents Campbell's worst decision as Lions HC. Butler was the 2nd leading rusher in the CFL last season as a Lion and as such should have been re-signed.
Walt67
Starter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:50 pm
Well as much as I would like to continue to partake in this delightful display of BC Lions football skill, I'm afraid that my mental sanity has to take precedence. I wish those of you with a stronger constitution than I a far fetched miracle come back. See you in the playoffs.
yes - but not for very long
tak06
prospect

As usual, D. Davis fumbles again tonight, can't get a crucial 1st down with inches to go against the Bombers, why does Campbell continue to use this guy.
Total lack of discipline, way too many stupid penalties, Lions not ready to compete must fall on the coaches shoulders, they don't deserve to be in the Grey cup or the semi's
Walt67
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:32 pm
Lack of a run game, inability to stop the run, unreliable short yardage game means the Lions will be going nowhere in the playoffs.

The Lions letting James Butler go in free agency with no adequate replacement represents Campbell's worst decision as Lions HC. Butler was the 2nd leading rusher in the CFL last season as a Lion and as such should have been re-signed.
As a Lions fan for almost 6 decades it is strange to be questioning a coach that has led the team to second place in the West - but, baby, the wheels are falling off this buggy at the worst time. 105 points surrendered over the last 3 games, the running attack is as visible as Amelia Earhart and the run defence looks like melted jello. Sammy is correct when he wrote that the PR and ticket boys are going to have a harder time selling tickets for Nov 4 - and who can blame the battered Vancouver sports fan for being EXTREMELY skeptical.
Last edited by Walt67 on Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walt67
Starter

One more thought: I always enjoy Farhan but this afternoon he confidently picked the Black and Orange to win by 14 points. I won't be taking any more tips from him anytime soon.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jake Maier completed 10 of 21 passes for 123 yards and the Stamps scored 41 points. It was all about the Lions.

- The Lions lost the turnover battle 6-0 and the Stamps scored 24 points off turnovers.

- The Lions took 10 penalties for 117 yards,
many of them undisciplined 15-yarders that gave Calgary first downs and kept the B.C. defence on the field.

- The Lions gave up 213 rushing yards on 31 carries, an average of 6.9 yards a carry. Lack of intensity by the Lions, poor gap cancellation and failure to protect the edge repeatedly allowed the Stamps to pick up easy yards. The Lions couldn’t stop Tommy Stevens on QB sneaks, even on third and 2.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

OK, here is the statistical silver lining: If the Lions had won tonight that would have meant that they beat the Stamps 3 times this season and then if they meet in the playoffs (likely) they would need to go 4-0 against the Stamps this season; highly unlikely. So now with this ultra embarrassing loss they have a score to settle, revenge game in the semi final.

I can't think of any other positives and as I stated a few posts ago, No run game, no run stopping=no chance for a win.
crburrows
Champion

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:56 pm
Taking the knee with 1:25 left?
I can forgive a *poop* game. It was bemusing up to that point.

Victory formation with a minute and a half left, in *this* game, left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Bad call, Campbell.