The Last Two Games - What to do?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Walt67
Starter

Fellow fans,
Well, the clock has struck midnight and our chance of hosting the ball is basically done.

Thing is, the Lions now face two very determined opponents to close the season while the games mean nothing in the standings for the second-place Leos.
Next Friday Hamilton looks damned scary after laying a licking on the Riders on George Reed Day (RIP, great man). Not only have the Tabbies become one of the great comeback stories of the last month, they now have a seemingly healthy Mitchell plus a fierce defence and a certain James Butler. Most of all, they still have a chance to possibly catch the Als for second place so that certainly won't be a gimme in the Hammer next week.

On top of that, the Stamps may have a chance to save their season if they can beat the suddenly hapless Riders before facing the Leos.
Meanwhile, we are stuck in second place no matter what.

So. What to do, what to do?

Given our personnel, how should the Lions and their coaches use these two games against desperate teams? Can we experiment trying get a teeny bit better running the ball? Should we rest guys? Honestly, I can't think of too many times when the Orange have been in a wins-don't-matter situation like this - almost a late-season pre-season. Finally, there's also the need not to get too mellow with two games and bye before the spotlight shines on the Western semi-final. Whatdoyathink?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It would be tempting to play Dane Evans this week against his old team but the Lions need to regain their confidence and swagger after their collapse against the Bombers. If Vernon Adams and the offence have a good first half, Rick Campbell can entertain the thought of playing Evans. They can’t risk the Bomber loss triggering a late-season swoon. Adams also needs to play at least a half in the season finale. They already have a bye in the final week of the season to rest any minor injuries.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

First is not yet mathematically out of the question but certainly odds of Winnipeg getting swept in their final two are somewhere between slim and none. One thing I never want to see my team do is treat a late season game like it doesn't matter until it truly doesn't matter in the standings which is what you are suggesting.

Unfortunately the schedule maker is leaving things as a big unknown for BC personnel decisions. Winnipeg gets the bye this week. BC will play both of their remaining games before the Bombers see the field for their next tilt.

All in all I just hate the idea of rolling over and giving up the chase for first until it's officially over. Giving up like that I think that sends a terrible message to the players. I'd rather see them go into the playoffs on a 2 game winning streak and make the Bombers work for that WDF home game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Walt67
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:37 pm
First is not yet mathematically out of the question but certainly odds of Winnipeg getting swept in their final two are somewhere between slim and none. One thing I never want to see my team do is treat a late season game like it doesn't matter until it truly doesn't matter in the standings which is what you are suggesting.

Unfortunately the schedule maker is leaving things as a big unknown for BC personnel decisions. Winnipeg gets the bye this week. BC will play both of their remaining games before the Bombers see the field for their next tilt.

All in all I just hate the idea of rolling over and giving up the chase for first until it's officially over. Giving up like that I think that sends a terrible message to the players. I'd rather see them go into the playoffs on a 2 game winning streak and make the Bombers work for that WDF home game.
Hambone, you make a great point. Regardless of what they truly believe, Campbell and Coaching Co. must have the players still striving for first until it is mathematically gone - it is what coaches do. And of course they will really need to be motivated next week against the surging Cats who have so much to play for.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

They are walking into a hornet's nest Friday coming off a devastating loss against a surging Ti-Cats team that still can finish 2nd and dominated BC back in August.

All the more reason to not be resting anyone. They need to be battle tested again heading into the post-season — against another back that ran all over them back in the first meeting.

I would love to see another RB get a chance over Mizzell just to see if it adds a spark to the running game. How about a 225-pound JaQuan Hardy who they brought back last week?

Also wondering about their personnel on defence of late. Has everything changed because of the decision to start Woods ahead of Lokombo? Greene now at safety over Mauger who is listed ahead of Rugamba. It's extremely difficult to keep on top of the shuffling and subsituting at the game. Still not sure why Bagayogo was on the field (illegal contact penalty) for overtime unless another DB was hurt.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:50 pm
They are walking into a hornet's nest Friday coming off a devastating loss against a surging Ti-Cats team that still can finish 2nd and dominated BC back in August.

All the more reason to not be resting anyone. They need to be battle tested again heading into the post-season — against another back that ran all over them back in the first meeting.

I would love to see another RB get a chance over Mizzell just to see if it adds a spark to the running game. How about a 225-pound JaQuan Hardy who they brought back last week?

Also wondering about their personnel on defence of late. Has everything changed because of the decision to start Woods ahead of Lokombo? Greene now at safety over Mauger who is listed ahead of Rugamba. It's extremely difficult to keep on top of the shuffling and subsituting at the game. Still not sure why Bagayogo was on the field (illegal contact penalty) for overtime unless another DB was hurt.
Does it matter, Bagayogo will be a good Cornerback in the future. Illegal contact happens.

I would like to see Lokombo back.at WLB, but Woods and Varga look good.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:

I don't get hung up on who is starting and who isn't because there is so much constant rotation. The days of 12 starters and some backups getting a few reps to rest starters are long over. Defenses are now 17 to 19 man units with down and yard situation dictating who is on the field, not who is listed as starters. Who is listed as starting on the depth chart doesn't mean anything either. As BCF noted when Friday's depth chart was released Debaillie was listed as starting ahead of Baron. Well on the first Lion defensive play DeBaillie was standing on the sidelines and Baron was out at tackle. I didn't notice who shuttled in and out for that OT play when Bagayogo took that penalty but it was a 2nd and 10 situation. Likely it was either a LB like Hladik or Woods or one of the DL he replaced.

I noticed more than a few times that Betts, Banks, Baron and Tuehema were all standing on the sidelines while Menard, DeBaillie, Bemiy and Siddiqi were out on the field and that was for multiple plays in the same series. There are rotations happening on more plays than not again depending on situation. I keep watching what looks like the proverbial Chinese firedrill of changes that often has me counting helmets out there fearing 1 less went to the sidelines and went onto the field. On one play I noted the Bombers changing 3 offensive players while BC changed out 5 defenders. BC listed 23 defensive players on the depth chart. All were getting defensive reps except for Rene, Messam and Hinsperger. 17 of the 20 registed defensive tackles with Lee leading the way with 8 followed by Woods and Edwards-Cooper with 7 each. Siddiqi, Lokombo & Bagayogo were the only ones to not record a tackle.

When it comes to Lokombo I believe he's not 100% yet. He is dressing but did come off the 6G from his ribs/lung injury a lot earlier than expected. Looking at BC's PR and injured lists they are short on options to fill a NAT vacancy. They only have Packer and St.Pierre on the PR with Cherry & Petermann on the 6G and Archibald on the 1G. Archibald finished the Rider game with a big ice pack on his shoulder. He's become a very important piece on special teams. If he was good to go he would have been playing on Friday. With that I believe Lokombo is having his reps kept at a minimum because he's still not quite ready for regular action unless injuries to others force it.
Last edited by Hambone on Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:17 pm
SammyGreene wrote:

I don't get hung up on who is starting and who isn't because there is so much constant rotation. The days of 12 starters and some backups getting a few reps to rest starters are long over. Defenses are now 17 to 19 many units with down and yard situation dictating who is on the field, not who is listed as starters. Who is listed as starting on the depth chart doesn't mean anything either. As BCF noted when Friday's depth chart was released Debaillie was listed as starting ahead of Baron. Well on the first Lion defensive play DeBaillie was standing on the sidelines and Baron was out at tackle. I didn't notice who shuttled in and out for that OT play when Bagayogo took that penalty but it was a 2nd and 10 situation. Likely it was either a LB like Hladik or Woods or one of the DL he replaced.

I noticed more than a few times that Betts, Banks, Baron and Tuehema were all standing on the sidelines while Menard, DeBaillie, Bemiy and Siddiqi were out on the field and that was for multiple plays in the same series. There are rotations happening on more plays than not again depending on situation. I keep watching what looks like the proverbial Chinese firedrill of changes that often has me counting helmets out there fearing 1 less went to the sidelines and went onto the field. One one play I noted the Bombers changing 3 offensive players while BC changed out 5 defenders. BC listed 23 defensive players on the depth chart. All were getting defensive reps except for Rene, Messam and Hinsperger. 17 of the 20 registed defensive tackles with Lee leading the way with 8 followed by Woods and Edwards-Cooper with 7 each. Siddiqi, Lokombo & Bagayogo were the only ones to not record a tackle.
Edwards-Cooper was injured with just under five minutes left in the fourth quarter and the Lions leading by 10. Initially the Lions moved Greene from safety to cornerback, where he played last game, and Mauger from nickelback to safety, leaving Rugamba at nickel. That would have left Bagayogo as the extra DB for passing situations. I didn't notice substitutions in the secondary after that point. I haven't had a chance to rewatch the game.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:28 pm
Edwards-Cooper was injured with just under five minutes left in the fourth quarter and the Lions leading by 10. Initially the Lions moved Greene from safety to cornerback, where he played last game, and Mauger from nickelback to safety, leaving Rugamba at nickel. That would have left Bagayogo as the extra DB for passing situations. I didn't notice substitutions in the secondary after that point. I haven't had a chance to rewatch the game.
Thanks. I recall that now. One advantage from my seat is I have a birds-eye view of the tent. I can't remember if it was Friday's game or the Rider game but even when one of the zebras got hurt they pulled the tent up for him. I was a bit surprised at that. I understand it for players as that eliminates the opposition from knowing what is being worked on.

It reminds me of a story a buddy I played some hockey with told us about. He was playing a road game for Merritt in the BCHL. He cut his finger and needed to get a couple of stitches. As it was a road game he had to rely on the trainer or doctor of the home team to stitch him up. Needless to say the home team knew exactly which hand and his glove became a target for whacks, hacks and slashes for the rest of the game. :wink:
lionsden
prospect

hey everyone i am new here love the topics you talk about
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Lions lessons from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory should include every player's head in the game for the entire game.
It drives me nuts seeing a player like Lucky Whitehead signing a football when the team is out getting ready for kickoff - then go out and drop a catchable ball that could have been a game changer.

As Yogi says, it's not over til it's over.

Winning is important but it'd be nice to see if they have a backup QB who can play.

No worry about a back up running back getting reps as Mizzell can't get hurt playing giving the load he gets.

Lenny Kravitz must have been the Lion's song at karaoke post-game.

It Ain’t Over ’til It’s Over
Song by Lenny Kravitz

Here we are still together
We are one
So much time wasted
Playing games with love
… So many tears I've cried
So much pain inside
But baby, it ain't over 'til it's over
So many years we've tried
To keep our love alive
But baby, it ain't over 'til it's over
… How many times did we give up
But we always worked things out
And all my doubts and fear kept me wondering, yeah

As Ryan Dinwoodie told TSN about resting players after they won the East:

"I'm an idiot if I do...."
"I'm an idiot if I don't."

Watched the replay of Argos vs. Elks and I thought Ouellette should have been hooked as he was hurting but was left out trying for his 1000 yards. He was subbed later as they have lots of running backs. Dressed 5 a few games back.

On a side note, in that game, Andrew Harris for not playing is sure plugged in with his earphone and playlist and always in synch with the game. He acts like CFL coaching material and he sure looks like he's prepping for a future in football and maybe not just in the amateur ranks in BC. Harris has really matured way past his WPG days which is not to suggest he wasn't mature - just grown a helluva lot in Toronto and with Dinwiddie as his coach. It's nice to see these guys exit football on a high note with a career in mind.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Until such time the Lions are mathematically eliminated from finishing first, play your starters.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Win them.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Looks like we're about to find out, SammyGreene. Mizzell did not practice today (ribs). Worth watching in the next couple of days for sure. I am not certain Hardy is ready yet, probably a lot of rust. I had thought they might try to insert him in the Calgary game (or just wait for next year). I would suspect we will see Shivers again if Mizzell can't go.

My preference would be Mackie/LaFrance and use the extra import elsewhere.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:06 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Looks like we're about to find out, SammyGreene. Mizzell did not practice today (ribs). Worth watching in the next couple of days for sure. I am not certain Hardy is ready yet, probably a lot of rust. I had thought they might try to insert him in the Calgary game (or just wait for next year). I would suspect we will see Shivers again if Mizzell can't go.

My preference would be Mackie/LaFrance and use the extra import elsewhere.

DH :cool:
Hardy getting 1st team reps at practice today. 🤞

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... t-practice