Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Well , "its the final countdown", as the old rock hair band Europe once sang.

It’s a battle of the two most dominant teams in the West, late in this 2023 regular season, as the Bombers and our B.C. Lions play for all the spoils – the West Division crown, a playoff bye, and a home date for the Western Final.

What a climatic contest as the 2023 regular season moves towards its conclusion.

Here are my keys to the game. Looking forward to reading your 'keys to the game"

OFFENCE

This game features two of the Top 3 CFL quarterbacks. Vernon Adams leads the CFL in passing yards (4,004 yds. going into this game while Zach Collaros leads the CFL in passing touchdowns. Both are candidates for the CFL Most Outstanding Player Award. Winnipeg boasts both the CFL’s leading receiver in Dalton Shoen (1,136 receiving yards, 10 touchdowns, both tops in the CFL) and league leading rusher Brady Oliveira (1,359 yds, 6.0 yd. average).

Our Leos reply with two Top 10 receivers with over 1,000 yds receiving in Kevin Hatcher (2nd in the CFL in receiving yards with 1,103 yds and Alexander Hollins – 1,019 yds. Yyards and second in the CFL in receiving touchdowns. Nic Demski is also a versatile threat for the Bombers and Kenny Lawlor can create a major headache for pass defenses.

Our Leos have a deep and talented receiving corps with Dominique Rhmes, Jevan Cottoy, Lucky Whitehead, and Justin McInnis all bringing a deep and diverse skill set.

DEFENSE

Two middle linebackers both set the tone for the two defenses who will play key roles in this contest. Ex-Leo Adam Bighill leads the Bombers with 68 defensive tackles while Ben Hladk has 88 defensive tackles for our B.C. Lions, strongly supported by Bo Lokombo with 66 tackles, even though he will not start in this contest.

On defense, pressure is always the name of the game and our Leos have the CFL’s best pass rusher in Mathew Betts, whose 15 sacks lead the league by a wide margin. Woody Baron (7 sacks). Sione Teuhema (6 sacks) and Ben Hladk with 5 sacks can also get after an opposing quarterback.

The Bombers are led in the sack department by Wlllie Jefferson (7 sacks) along with Jackson Jeffcoat and Jake Thomas, both with 5 sacks. The Bombers have the CFL’s leading interceptor in Demerio Houston (7 interceptions) while Gary Peters of our Leos is tied for 3rd place in this category with 4 interceptions. T.J. Lee (3 interceptions) will also jump a route on occasion.

SPECIAL TEAMS

The Bombers Janarion Grant and our Leos Terry Williams both have jets but Grant is the more consistent return man, based on average punt yards per return. Grant gives the Bombers decent field position after every punt with his 14 yard average. Our Leos Shawn White (93% success rate) and the Bombers Sergio Castillo (90% average) are both very experienced and very successful field goal kickers who know how to kick under pressure.

KEYS TO THE GAME

1. OUR OFFENSIVE GAME PLAN

The Bombers will not view our run game as much of a threat. They will focus on shutting down our passing attack with pressure on the quarterback. The best way to nullify our talented receiving crew is to force Adams to throw quickly, while playing tight coverage on our receivers, with zone over the top.

Our Leos should be prepared for this. The answer is not just a quick passing attack. That feeds into the Bombers defensive approach to stop our offensive passing attack from being the threat it is. The key is to give Adams enough time to exploit the Bombers. We can do this by employing Cottoy often as a tight end, by using Mackie as a blocking back on passing downs and using him on an occasional screen pass, and by rolling Adams out.

Vernon Adams is a very good rollout quarterback. So is Zach Collaros for that matter. Both are probably the two best rollout throwing quarterbacks since Casey Printers 5,000 yd plus 2004 MOP season, when he rolled out quite a lot in his first year as a starter. Of course he was playing in Burratto’s multi-dimensional offence at the time and not the boring spread formation that keeps quarterbacks in the pocket far too much.

For those who believe our Leos will need to run the football, they are correct but there is no sense looking at a lot of second and 10’s with Mizzell early in this game. We will need to pass successfully to open up the run. Too many inside zone read run plays is a recipe for disaster. Some counters, a pitch toss, and the occasional fly sweep to stretch the Bombers defense horizontally.

2. DEFENSE IS THE KEY TO THE GAME

The way to lose this game is to allow the Bombers to get big yardage running the football on first down and then have the joy of second and short. The way to also lose this game is to blitz and play a lot of man pass defense. If we do that, the Bombers will keep extra bodies in, buy Collaros time and burn us deep.. Collaros on his own is excellent at avoiding the rush by rolling right, fading away from the rush, and then throwing hard.

The keys on defense are to shut down the run, blitz only one extra defender, most often to Collaros right side, and force quick reads. The key is to change up a lot on pass defense with zone, man, and combo coverages and always having a safety in the deep middle. If not, Collaros will read it and exploit it.

3. GETTING A LEAD or AT LEAST KEEPING IT CLOSE EARLY

The Bombers, if they get a good lead, are a very difficult team to beat. But if we can get the lead or stay close in the first half, it will change the complexion of the game and the strategy of the game. It will also keep the fans involved and therefore take full advantage of the home atmosphere.

Maksymic will need to have a good game plan and call a good game.. I believe he is capable of doing so as is Ryan Phillips. Strategy will be a very important aspect to this game in all likelihood and the Bombers with Richie Hall and Buck Pierce will adjust and so must we, if necessary.

At least, with this type of contest, I know the coaches we have give us a much better shot than the so called good 'ol days of Buono when it was believed that strategy or surprise was not necessary. Instead it was cut down the number of plays, here we are and all we need to do is ‘execute’ and ‘make plays’. To win with that approach, you have to have much superior talent than the opposition and even then you can lose.

No, I much prefer our present style of coaching However, they will need to be up to the task and more for this important contest and our players are going to need to play their best game of the season if we are to win the West.

The opportunity to do so is exciting.

Go Leos Go! :towel: :towel:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Super insights into the keys to winning this week.
Our Leos should be prepared for this. The answer is not just a quick passing attack. That feeds into the Bombers defensive approach to stop our offensive passing attack from being the threat it is. The key is to give Adams enough time to exploit the Bombers. We can do this by employing Cottoy often as a tight end, by using Mackie as a blocking back on passing downs and using him on an occasional screen pass, and by rolling Adams out.

Vernon Adams is a very good rollout quarterback.
Overall I have a fairly positive feel about BC's play now coming into the last part of the season as long as VA is healthy and on fire.

I agree that it is not just a "quick passing attack" or the Bombers will shut this down.

Also, making sure VA isn't stuck in the pocket.

I was tempted to catch practice this week to see if they're working on new wrinkles on offense or any aspect of their game but didn't make it.

Play calling is crucial for BC and not getting caught in second and long with failed run plays on first down.

Defensively this is an interesting matchup with the Bombers offense.

It should be a good game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great breakdown, Blitz. You're right that one of the keys to the game on defence is to not give the Bombers the same look all the time. Mix it up, cause confusion and hope to get to the quarterback or force a turnover. The Lions are minus-7 in turnover ratio and the Bombers are plus-6. The Lions can't afford to turn the ball over against a strong opponent. B.C. is 7-0 when making fewer turnovers than the opposition. Winnipeg is 6-1.

I mentioned in the game thread that the formula is to stack the box on first down, sometimes with an extra linebacker, and force the Bombers into second and long. Zach Collaros is a great quarterback who can shred a defence if he has time. The only way to knock him off his game is to pressure him constantly. Stack the box, blitz regularly, don't give Winnipeg receivers time to get open, and trust your DBs to make plays. It's risky, but offers much better odds than sitting back and letting Collaros pick the defence apart.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Fantastic breakdown Blitz and terrific insight from others. It’s been a heck of a long time we have had a game with major 1st place implications at BC Place this late in the season. Can’t wait for tomorrow night.
Walt67
Starter

It's probably just hyperbole but I question why you added "the last regular game of the season" as it most surely is not -- though it almost certainly will be the most decisive tilt of the campaign.
Blitz
Team Captain

Also, making sure VA isn't stuck in the pocket. Play calling is crucial for BC and not getting caught in second and long with failed run plays on first down.

Toppy Vann
A diet of second and long will be big trouble. I would much rather see us use a short pass, like a quick swing with a linemen out in front or a hitch screen (in other words a high percentage pass play to set up second and short than using Mizzell on inside zone read plays, which more often than not, set up a second and long. Later, perhaps, we can run MIzzell inside, when the Bombers are anticipating pass on first down.

I also agree Toppy that we gotta move the pocket. The Bombers do not have an explosive sack artist but they do get pressure and they play sound defense.
Great breakdown, Blitz. You're right that one of the keys to the game on defence is to not give the Bombers the same look all the time. Mix it up, cause confusion and hope to get to the quarterback or force a turnover. The Lions are minus-7 in turnover ratio and the Bombers are plus-6. The Lions can't afford to turn the ball over against a strong opponent. B.C. is 7-0 when making fewer turnovers than the opposition. Winnipeg is 6-1.

I mentioned in the game thread that the formula is to stack the box on first down, sometimes with an extra linebacker, and force the Bombers into second and long. Zach Collaros is a great quarterback who can shred a defence if he has time. The only way to knock him off his game is to pressure him constantly. Stack the box, blitz regularly, don't give Winnipeg receivers time to get open, and trust your DBs to make plays. It's risky, but offers much better odds than sitting back and letting Collaros pick the defence apart.

B.C. Fan
I totally agree that we have to stack the box and shut down the first down running play. However, while doing so, we cannot give up the long ball, in man defense, as we did last time we played the Bombers. We can stack the box more with our backers but we can still zone blitz and I think that would be the wiser strategy overall for most defensive plays. It all depends on what the Bombers do. If we stack the box and they keep extra bodies in and by doing so and give Collaras time to throw, then we are much better off not playing Russian roulette in press man defense.

You pointed out turnovers as a key, a stat you have always focused on and for good reason. The turnover stats you cited for both teams shows how very important turnovers will likely be in this contest.

It's probably just hyperbole but I question why you added "the last regular game of the season" as it most surely is not -- though it almost certainly will be the most decisive tilt of the campaign. Walt 67
I did not make the comment of it being the last regular season contest for 'exagerated effect' Walt67, which is how I interpret hyperbole. I just made a mistake and perhaps the cause of the mistake is that it feels like the last game when in reality its just the most important game as the season winds down and will most likely but not certainly, determine the West.

Thanks for pointing it out. I will go back and edit the post and make the correction.

Sammy Green, you wrote "It’s been a heck of a long time we have had a game with major 1st place implications at BC Place this late in the season. Can’t wait..." and you are so right. No matter what the outcome, its a very good thing, as a Leos fan, to feel the heart excited in this way for a regular season game as its been a long time since we were in this type of situation..

Go Leos!! :towel:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz:
I totally agree that we have to stack the box and shut down the first down running play. However, while doing so, we cannot give up the long ball, in man defense, as we did last time we played the Bombers. We can stack the box more with our backers but we can still zone blitz and I think that would be the wiser strategy overall for most defensive plays. It all depends on what the Bombers do. If we stack the box and they keep extra bodies in and by doing so and give Collaros time to throw, then we are much better off not playing Russian roulette in press man defense.
It all depends on what the Bombers do.
The Bombers hammering the Lions was a shocker as the Bombers seemed to know exactly how the Lions were going to play defensively.

Also, we know that Buck Pierce is not a stand pat OC and they're not afraid to make variations on their main themes!
Did the Lions prepare for the Bombers approach to change up their offense with variations on their main themes?
I'm a huge Buck Pierce fan so I watch their games and of course the Argos and most others. I 'd still like to see the Lions win a Grey Cup and this game in particular. I'm just very happy to see Buck's success in coaching as he has sure had challenges at home with his wife's cancer issue and a young family.

This is a good JJ Adams article with a nice quote by Marcus Sayles on the game and preparation.

https://theprovince.com/sports/lions-bo ... lar-season

Lions next visit Ticats, host Stamps and get a bye in the final week.
Bombers get a bye, host Elks and away at Stamps for their final game.

This is a MUST-WIN game as first place IS ON THE LINE.

Of course, the winner tonight could lose one or both of their next games but one of them can run the table.

This is freaking interesting.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Paul LaPolice’s keys to the game for the B.C. defence: Play more zone coverage and sacrifice some run yards to defend against explosive
plays and give the front four time to get to the quarterback.
Blitz
Team Captain

Paul LaPolice’s keys to the game for the B.C. defence: Play more zone coverage and sacrifice some run yards to defend against explosive
plays and give the front four time to get to the quarterback. B.C. Fan.
I have a lot of regard for "Lapo" as an offensive coordinator but respectfully disagree with his defensive strategy for our Leos. He sounds as if he is still working for the Bombers. :wink:

We obviously want to take away explosive plays but to sacrifice run yards to the best running team in the CFL is slow death, with the defense on the field a lot and getting more tired as the game wears on. Nope, I still think it best to stack the box while taking away the explosive play with zone blitzes (and we only need to send one extra backer or two at the most.

Toppy is a huge Buck fan and for good reasons. Buck will have a good game plan. In a key match like this one, its not just the game plan but the in-game adjustments (as well as the turnover ratio) that will likely determine the outcome.