Bombers-Lions: The Showdown

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:11 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:57 am

I heard I think Dave Naylor say that you can't pick a running back usually for MOP as it all depends on systems or something like. Yah right our system sucks.
Jon Cornish, Mike Pringle, Mike Clemons, WIllard Reaves, David Green, Jimmy Edwards, Willie Burden, Bill Symons, George Reed, George Dixon...

My point was not to take Dave Naylor out of context which maybe I have here but to kind of make a point that if your team doesn't run, how can a RB be successful or an MOP and BC is a case in point.

There are teams not running much and other than the Lions, they've been losing.
B.C.’s ground game has lagged of late. The Lions were held to 48 yards on 12 carries against the Blue Bombers. They are last in the nine-team league in rushing (82.8 yards per game).
https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... t-practice

When Ryan Dinwiddie took over as HC in Toronto, his model was the Bombers and what Mike O'Shea has in place in WPG.
These dudes can and do run.

Imagine BC's offence with Vernon Adams playing like he is now and the capability of running the football consistently.

Just maybe we'd not have had to worry about a failed 3rd down (I think the placement was wrong) or if Rhymes went down.

TSN put up a "Protection Problems" for "Most Sacks Allowed" yesterday:

OTTAWA 56
MONTRL 55
SASK'T'N 50
BCLIONS 46
EDM'T'N 43

ARGOS were the lowest in the CFL at 14
The chart just had these teams so not sure where the Bombers or Ticats ranked.

My point about systems and philosophies is that if BC could add that dimension with the likes of Oliviera, Demski, Harris, Ouellette and the flashier backs like Mizzell they could be challenging a GC for some years to come.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Walt67
Starter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:04 am
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:11 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:57 am

I heard I think Dave Naylor say that you can't pick a running back usually for MOP as it all depends on systems or something like. Yah right our system sucks.
Jon Cornish, Mike Pringle, Mike Clemons, WIllard Reaves, David Green, Jimmy Edwards, Willie Burden, Bill Symons, George Reed, George Dixon...

My point was not to take Dave Naylor out of context which maybe I have here but to kind of make a point that if your team doesn't run, how can a RB be successful or an MOP and BC is a case in point.

There are teams not running much and other than the Lions, they've been losing.
B.C.’s ground game has lagged of late. The Lions were held to 48 yards on 12 carries against the Blue Bombers. They are last in the nine-team league in rushing (82.8 yards per game).
https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... t-practice

When Ryan Dinwiddie took over as HC in Toronto, his model was the Bombers and what Mike O'Shea has in place in WPG.
These dudes can and do run.

Imagine BC's offence with Vernon Adams playing like he is now and the capability of running the football consistently.

Just maybe we'd not have had to worry about a failed 3rd down (I think the placement was wrong) or if Rhymes went down.

TSN put up a "Protection Problems" for "Most Sacks Allowed" yesterday:

OTTAWA 56
MONTRL 55
SASK'T'N 50
BCLIONS 46
EDM'T'N 43

ARGOS were the lowest in the CFL at 14
The chart just had these teams so not sure where the Bombers or Ticats ranked.

My point about systems and philosophies is that if BC could add that dimension with the likes of Oliviera, Demski, Harris, Ouellette and the flashier backs like Mizzell they could be challenging a GC for some years to come.
You are absolutely right, of course, and anyone who has spent any time watching this league knows that the threat of a heavy running attack is absolutely mandatory if you want to seriously challenge for a GC. It is therefore astonishing that the Lions put all their money down on the "bright and shiny toy" of a great passing attack while letting Butler walk away and not replace him with a meaty back. Sure, with his wild hair and heavy black eye paint A. J. Ouellette looks like someone out of a 70s metal band but he is a big reason the balanced Argos have allowed the fewest sacks.
Of course it is too late to address this personnel issue on the Lions this season but it is something that screams to be addressed after what will happen in Winnipeg next month - and as Doman and Co. prepare to host the 2024 GC.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

What I was thinking on the concept of him trying to kick it Toppy was that he'd have to take his foot off the gas so to speak and slow down to first get his foot on the ball and second to get enough of the ball to get it at least into the end zone. If he did that I think he would've been steam rolled from behind before he got a cleat on it. Trying to kick a ball while in full flight is something rugby players and Aussie footy players practice and train for since they first start playing the sport. It's instinctive for them. It's not an instinct gridiron receivers possess nor something they would ever practice even while goofing around. When Montreal tried it Antwi had no defender within several yards of him and he obviously has been practicing that play.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:59 pm
What I was thinking on the concept of him trying to kick it Toppy was that he'd have to take his foot off the gas so to speak and slow down to first get his foot on the ball and second to get enough of the ball to get it at least into the end zone. If he did that I think he would've been steam rolled from behind before he got a cleat on it. Trying to kick a ball while in full flight is something rugby players and Aussie footy players practice and train for since they first start playing the sport. It's instinctive for them. It's not an instinct gridiron receivers possess nor something they would ever practice even while goofing around. When Montreal tried it Antwi had no defender within several yards of him and he obviously has been practicing that play.
Might not be easy to pull off and do it very well like a rugby player; but most football players grow up with learning pass/punt skills (hence the competitions with those skills), and practicing it for such a situation should be quite do-able. Doug Flutie drop kicked thru the uprights in an NFL game not that long ago (so they got all bent out of shape and banned it?). Dave Stala was a 1000 yd. CFL receiver who could punt and place-kick very well (had the role in college ball as well as receiver) - I have little doubt he could have pullled-off that move for a game winning rouge, but wether he would be heads up enough in the moment, or maybe try to run it for the winning TD instead, is another matter.

IF i was an offensive coach in the Canadian game, I definitely have my receivers practice this skill, so they could try to use it - even if it is the vary rare situation where the play can make a big difference. If there's 10 seconds or so left on the game clock in a tie game, in a big game, , this should be coached into all receivers' heads as a potential option. Drillling a low line drive punt, on the run, from 25 yards or so out, that goes deep in the end zone (or out) = game over / you win.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
The Rhymes play might have been hard to pull off with a real punt. But adding this to your play book is essential.

Coaches think it's a low % play but if you work on it it improves the chance for success.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
almo89
Legend

It's probably pretty hard to be running full steam with the ball and someone on your tail to punt the ball through the endzone. Also you still have to make sure it clears the 20 yard endzone. Pretty tough to do while you are running at full speed which was what Rhymes was doing.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV:54-40 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:12 pm
Hambone wrote:
Might not be easy to pull off and do it very well like a rugby player; but most football players grow up with learning pass/punt skills (hence the competitions with those skills), and practicing it for such a situation should be quite do-able. Doug Flutie drop kicked thru the uprights in an NFL game not that long ago (so they got all bent out of shape and banned it?). Dave Stala was a 1000 yd. CFL receiver who could punt and place-kick very well (had the role in college ball as well as receiver) - I have little doubt he could have pullled-off that move for a game winning rouge, but wether he would be heads up enough in the moment, or maybe try to run it for the winning TD instead, is another matter.

IF i was an offensive coach in the Canadian game, I definitely have my receivers practice this skill, so they could try to use it - even if it is the vary rare situation where the play can make a big difference. If there's 10 seconds or so left on the game clock in a tie game, in a big game, , this should be coached into all receivers' heads as a potential option. Drillling a low line drive punt, on the run, from 25 yards or so out, that goes deep in the end zone (or out) = game over / you win.
IF you were an offensive coach with 3 practices to work with each week you would have time to dedicate to a bunch of those precious few reps for multiple receivers to develop the skill to kick a ball on a full run for the once every 25 year instance that might be handy? It's widely known teams only have very little time as it is to practice onside kicks and defending onside kicks

Now I do think some teams might practice an aspect of that but it wouldn't be to use it on an ad hoc basis in the flow of play. If they do work on that it would be to use it on a set quick kick play. It would be a trick or gadget type play they plan to use coming out of the huddle. Get the ball to somebody in space so he can immediately kick it down field in hopes somebody who was onside when it was kicked will win the battle for possession. I will grant you that scenario.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.