Lions at Elks Sept. 22, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Nice game plan Mr Phillips. Only reason it was close was turnovers & command centre
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Okay time to breathe
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sean Whyte is so reliable. He doesn’t get enough respect.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:29 pm
Sean Whyte is so reliable. He doesn’t get enough respect.
He better be Western and CFL all star this season
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Shout out Taquan Mizzell and the B.C. offensive line for making the difference in this game. Mizzell had 112 yards rushing and 2 TDs. The Lions outrushed the Elks 175 yards to 90.
MacNews
Team Captain

If the Lions aren't careful they might end up 1st in the West.
Walt67
Starter

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:21 pm
A pass to Mackie. They're emptying the playbook
I guess they thought the Elks wouldn't pay attention to him - but that was a strange call at that time in the game.
Walt67
Starter

Three things to really like. The D looked like they did at the start of the season with aggressive tackling that was missing for the last month. The running game finally materialized against a pretty decent Elks defence that looked motivated and has been hot lately. And, yes, VA forced the ball and it lead to one touchdown, two picks - and Purifoy could have had a third - but he also threw many darts and made some key runs for needed first downs. All in all an impressive win in a hard-hitting game as the Elks tried to redeem themselves. The much-discussed Bomber game is looming larger again.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Did the insertion of David Knevel at guard in place of Andrew Pierson made that much of a difference to the running game ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:16 pm
Did the insertion of David Knevel at guard in place of Andrew Pierson made that much of a difference to the running game ?
It’s hard to tell from watching on TV but I didn’t see any video of Knevel being steamrolled onto his butt. I saw him give up one of the Elks’ 2 sacks but I also saw some nicely executed team blocking on Mizzell's TD runs.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The OC's play calling was the best I've seen this season as it sure opened passing and running seams.
The play calling was only predictable with less than a minute to go.
Seemed like the only 2nd and long was VA's time count violation deep in the Elks zone.

Defensively, I think 94 tipping the punt was great but I think he was inside and caught Tre Ford.

The real Jarius Jackson turned up play calling to lose tonight. Ford had 13 rushing yards until that long run near the end.
Ford said he wanted to be more patient in the pocket and Jarius gave him his wish with the play calls and BC didn't much have to worry about him beating on the outside.

For the life of me, why would he not get Ford outside the pocket and stop BC's relentless pass rush.

Cottoy looked good. Some good running plays from differing formations.

The late pass to David Mackie will make teams think twice when the FB's in and not just think he's there to run block.

Edwards-Cooper's late hit was kind of stupid although I don't think he was tried to hit Ford in the head. Corte's retaliation could have injured his QB even worse but I get it they were angry.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:31 pm

The late pass to David Mackie will make teams think twice when the FB's in and not just think he's there to run block.
Maksymic must have read my post. :rotf:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:16 pm
Mizzell had some big runs by going off tackle on the left side of the line, where Knevel was playing left guard.
Blitz
Team Captain

What I liked most about this game is that it provided some insights into what our Leos could do in the future to become a better football team.

Offensively, we have a Top 3 CFL quarterback in Vernon Adams. He, along with Zach Collaros and Chad Kelly, give their teams a good chance to beat any other team. Adams, is not my cup of tea, personality wise and he still plays in the shadow of Nathan Rourke, but he has become a very good CFL quarterback. Yes, he has thrown too many interceptions to my liking and sometimes makes decisions that confuse, but he has an excellent arm, an aggressive nature, and the strong support of his teammates. He's thrown 25 touchdowns, has a 102.8 quarterback efficiency, and has over an 68% completion rate while often throwing bullets.

But in this game against the Elks, our Leos started Knevel over Pearson at left guard, a move they should have began the season with. Pearson has been too easily bull rushed by powerful defensive tackles. Knevel is more of a natural offensive tackle with his height and wing span but he is powerful and is an improvement for both the running attack and pass protection.

A second key to this game is that our Leos inserted David Mackie into the game more often. While he did not carry the football, he made a huge catch in the fourth quarter. The Lions opened some big holes for Mizzell and for a change, he did not make four unnecessary dekes with no one around him and showed some burst. I had hoped our Leos would find a different running back than Mizzell to finish the season, as Mizzell can be brought down easily with a hand tackle (let alone an arm tackle) but at least, in this game, he ran more and deked less and we gave Mackie some decent reps. If Mackie could be inserted into the offence more often it would pay some dividends. Why we have Mizzell, rather than Mackie carrying the football on shorter yardage is beyond me.

Lastly, we once again saw what Cottoy can do when thrown to. For two seasons now, I have believed he should be one of our 'go to; receivers. He can do it all...block, catch, break tackles, etc. etc.

This game also cemented, in my head, that if Grimes returns to the lineup, its Lucky Whitehead who needs to come out. He is past his best due date as a wide receiver. Our best receiving corps is Hollins, Grimes, Hatcher, Cottoy and McInnis.

Defensively this game renewed my faith in Ryan Phillips as an up and coming defensive coordinator with a bright future. Using a combination of different blitzers, while changing his quarterback spy on each play, gave Ford fits. Phillips had an innovative and effective game plan that will be copied by other defensive coordinators when playing Ford.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great insight as always Blitz. At 30, I'm coming to the realization VA is who he is — prone to throw some bad INTs but brings the rare gunslinger mentality with elusive athleticism. His best throws of the night Friday were to Hollins — one after a Hatcher drop to keep a drive alive with the Elks within a score — and the other later in the 4th quarter that helped seal the win.
So you take the 80 percent good to go with the 20 percent bad and hope those picks aren't too costly or there is enough time to make up for them.

He came into an almost no-win situation — attempting to replace a generational QB and fast rising fan favourite — yet still has the Lions right among the top contenders. Would love to see a more balanced attacks like on Friday instead of the offence being so dependent on his arm.

Interesting decision looming Friday with Rhymes due to return. In the past they have dropped an extra American on defence to go with four American receivers but that option may not be there with Lokombo hurt. Hard to see McInnis taking a backseat again to make way for the Rhymes, Hatcher, Hollins and Whitehead quartet.