Thriller at Mosiac

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

What a Labour Day Weekend so far with the Riders pulling off an OT thriller against the Bombers. Puts BC back on pace to play for 1st place when Winnipeg is here in early October.

But look out for the Riders. Now 6-5 with back to back wins over BC and Winnipeg. Always have had a solid defence and a terrific returner in Mario Alford. Now their offence is making some strides with rookie Jake Dolegala. Their offensive line is looking much improved (is Couture really better than Godber?) and they have 2 dynamic national receivers in Emilus & Schaffer-Baker.

Sets up 2 big back to back Friday night home games at BC Place in a few weeks- Riders then Bombers.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Indeed a great game ! Pete Robertson was almost the goat for the Riders as he head butted Zach Collaros allowing the Bombers a first down which they capitalized.
almo89
Legend

What a wild finish. The way Sask is playing lately, I don't feel that comfortable playing them in what most likely would be the Western Semi Final. Somehow 3rd stringer Jake Dolegala was able to get it done against BC and Winnipeg. He has amazing poise in the pocket, but he was over throwing his receivers all game. He came in the clutch when it counted.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It’s been a great weekend so far, and the results allow the Lions to control their own destiny. They also emphasize the value of finishing first and earning a bye to the Western Final on home turf.
Rammer
Team Captain

Given the level of intensity the Riders/Bombers bring to the field when they play each other, it would be huge to finish first allowing those two teams to do battle before coming to BC Place.

As for the game yesterday, why wasn’t Robertson kicked out for that helmet butting on Collarus? Completely after the play had concluded. Collarus wouldn’t have been expecting any hit at that point let alone the head butt. But it does show how ramped up the rivalry gets.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

Robertson suspended one game according to TSN. Really not enough imo, but the CFL has its hands tied with the CFLPA contract for suspensions.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:24 pm
Given the level of intensity the Riders/Bombers bring to the field when they play each other, it would be huge to finish first allowing those two teams to do battle before coming to BC Place.

As for the game yesterday, why wasn’t Robertson kicked out for that helmet butting on Collarus? Completely after the play had concluded. Collarus wouldn’t have been expecting any hit at that point let alone the head butt. But it does show how ramped up the rivalry gets.
Rammer, even though the bye for first place in the West is not always an advantage, I would love to see the Bombers and Riders beating the snot out of each other while we waited at home with the playoff bye.

Its it likely? No. Is it possible. It certainly is!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It may not mean much for the playoff race, but the Elks went back to their losing ways in the Labour Day Classic in Calgary, blowing an 11-point lead by giving up 15 points in the final 3 minutes after
controlling much of the game. The Edmonton offence managed to run just 2 plays, stopping the clock after both, and burning just 13 seconds between Calgary TD drives, with the second TD coming with only 20 seconds on the clock. The game at least capped an exciting weekend of CFL football, with 3 of 4 games going down to the wire.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It was an exciting weekend of football in all the games this weekend.

Calgary's RB got them to the 6 yd line earlier only to 'celebrate' and put them back at the 21 yd line with a 15 yd penalty. Luckily he redeemed himself on the winning TD.

Tre Ford did run like Doug Flutie.

The head butt on Collaros had him still steaming angry in the media conference post game. I can't grasp how that wasn't an ejection for clearly a deliberate head butt that had nothing to do with the play as it was over.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Dusty
Champion

Rammer wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:24 pm

About the only positive about the Robertson head butt was the reaction of team mate Micah Johnson with his arm motions, which seemed to say "Hey Man, WTF??"
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:33 pm
Robertson suspended one game according to TSN. Really not enough imo, but the CFL has its hands tied with the CFLPA contract for suspensions.
He will also likely be fined max the CFL can assess which would be 1/2 of 1 games pay plus losing a game cheque for the suspension = 1.5 games lost pay. At his salary that equals 8.3% of his season salary or $14.2K in lost wages. His bank account will feel it.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:00 am
About the only positive about the Robertson head butt was the reaction of team mate Micah Johnson with his arm motions, which seemed to say "Hey Man, WTF??"
Micah's reaction summed everything up better than words could.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:10 am
The head butt on Collaros had him still steaming angry in the media conference post game. I can't grasp how that wasn't an ejection for clearly a deliberate head butt that had nothing to do with the play as it was over.
A lot of unknowns on that Toppy. Much speculation is the hit was not noticed by the onfield officials but picked up by the Command Centre.

The way the play itself ended and the type of play ran if the zebras were looking for any after the play shenanigans they were watching the guys in the trenches otherwise were going about their usual business of sporting the ball and readying things for the next play. Identifying major fouls after the play is definitely one of the Command Centre's responsibilities. However they may not have the authority to eject the player.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:25 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:10 am
A lot of unknowns on that Toppy. Much speculation is the hit was not noticed by the onfield officials but picked up by the Command Centre.

The way the play itself ended and the type of play ran if the zebras were looking for any after the play shenanigans they were watching the guys in the trenches otherwise were going about their usual business of sporting the ball and readying things for the next play. Identifying major fouls after the play is definitely one of the Command Centre's responsibilities. However they may not have the authority to eject the player.

This article comes with a video of the play and it shows Robertson bumping Collaros after the throw but that was very incidental and harmless and definitely not a penalty in my view but then he turns back and deliberately head butts him. Looking at this video it makes it even worse than what I viewed during the game.

Initially, there was no penalty called but a late flag was thrown and Robertson received a 15-yard unnecessary roughness call and was allowed to continue playing.

What was disturbing about the hit was it came after the play ended. It also certainly appeared like Robertson looked directly at the six-foot, 219-pound Collaros before delivering the head butt.

And while Collaros was on the ground, Robertson could be seen flexing.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/ ... ess%2FFile)-,The%20CFL%20has%20suspended%20Saskatchewan%20defensive%20end%20Pete%20Robertson%20for,win%20over%20the%20Blue%20Bombers.

This article in the Winnipeg Free Press includes this paragraph plus Zach's 79 second post game:
O’Shea, who is part of the CFL’s rules committee, went after the officials for their delayed reaction to what was a clear penalty. The fact the officials never saw the headbutt occur and needed the command centre to step in, not to mention Robertson wasn’t even ejected from the game, only adds to the narrative the CFL has the worst referees in all professional sports.
I disagree with the nonsensical comment about the worst referees in all pro sports as that's freaking BS.

My question is can the Command Centre not get the Referee to review something this egregious so that a proper decision was made to eject him immediately?

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/break ... 20Oliveira.
Pistol Pete Has His Sights Set On Elks
By 620CKRM Sports
Aug 9, 2022 | 4:09 PM
https://www.620ckrm.com/2022/08/09/pist ... t-on-elks/
I'm also disappointed that Craig Dickenson claims not to have seen it. He should have got it on an iPad immediately and taken this more seriously before he has another Garret Marino unchecked. The last thing the CFL needs is Bomber players head-hunting a Riders QB next game.

Robertson was injured in Week 5 on an illegal hit by Ottawa offensive tackle Dino Boyd. Robertson, who was leading the league in sacks at the time of his injury, admits it wasn’t easy watching from the sideline. ” It was very tough watching, knowing that we have a lot of guys down. Hopefully I get out there this weekend and make things happen.

As for the dirty hit that put him on the injury list, Robertson has no anger towards Boyd, ” I’d do the same thing if I was playing against me!”
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I was surprised not at the level of Collaros' anger but his whole demeanour before walking away.

From the Bombers.com:
Collaros’ post-game interview lasted all of 69 seconds, but his reaction to the hit was the most emotional he’s been in his days as a Blue Bomber. Here’s the entire exchange on the Robertson head butt with Jeff Hamilton of the Winnipeg Free Press from the scrum:

Hamilton: “You were pretty heated on the sidelines after that hit by Pete Robertson. What did you see?”

Collaros: “What did you see?”

Hamilton: “I saw a guy head butt you.”

Collaros: “Yeah. You think the league will do anything about it?”

Hamilton: “I’m not sure.”

Collaros: “You’ve been around the league a long time. What would your assumption be?”

Hamilton: “I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Collaros: “Yeah.”

Hamilton: “This league doesn’t really surprise me anymore.”

Collaros: “Surprise you? It happens all the time.”
https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/09/03/ ... 30-ssk-32/