Lions vs. Stamps Aug. 12, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Season series clinched against Stamps. Win next week in Regina and basically lock down no worse than 2nd place and it’s still August
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

"Showed Nathan Rourke's touchdown pass today on the big screen. Awesome play"

Yep, I think he made the team on that one. It is all over the net, plus a run for a TD, plus a 2 pt conversion. He is getting mentions on Sports Illustrated, NFL.com, Yahoo Sports etc. etc. And he looked good in the process. The murmur from the Cowboys fans was deafening. They were stunned with what they saw and if you can get Cowboy's fans feeling that kind of awe for an opposing QB, you have accomplished something.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Alputt
Champion

Great statement bounce-back game in a comfortable open dome in front of 20,000 fans. Roar!
Alputt
Champion

Great to see Whitehead in the end zone finally as well!
tedbear
Starter

Great rebound win by the boys tonight after last weeks loss.

The biggest take i got from this game was what was said after the game.

I found it interesting after the game when Jake Meir was asked after the game why he did not push the ball downfield after they fell behind he said "I could try but you just cant be that reckless" well playing it safe gave them NO CHANCE to come back and win the game.

Thinking back to the Toronto game I appteciate VA's desire to push the ball down the field in a losing effort. He threw 6 interceptions (3 really bad ones) but did not care about personnal stats because he was trying to win the game. I find it comical that so many people were down on him after that game.

He is not purrfect but he has a desire to win and he is a leader who the players on the team seem to respect and follow. He will have some bad games but will have a lot more good games. It is his team and as a fan I will be in his corner through all his ups and downs.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:07 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:05 pm
What the hell was Whitehead doing there?
Probably the most over rated player we have so far. We lose nothing with Rhymes in and McInnes in for Whitehead.

He has done nothing this year.

I was thinking this until he finally had a TD with a good throw and catch.

Unlike Hatcher this guy is not open.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

tedbear wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:40 pm

I found it interesting after the game when Jake Meir was asked after the game why he did not push the ball downfield after they fell behind he said "I could try but you just cant be that reckless" well playing it safe gave them NO CHANCE to come back and win the game.

Thinking back to the Toronto game I appteciate VA's desire to push the ball down the field in a losing effort. He threw 6 interceptions (3 really bad ones) but did not care about personnal stats because he was trying to win the game. I find it comical that so many people were down on him after that game.

He is not purrfect but he has a desire to win and he is a leader who the players on the team seem to respect and follow. He will have some bad games but will have a lot more good games. It is his team and as a fan I will be in his corner through all his ups and downs.
The message before the last Stamps gain to Jake Maier was don't turn it over so he wasn't about to go downfield.
Havent' seen the stats yet but the Stamps couldn't run and I didn't think Dave Dickenson was at his best calling plays for them.
Second half opening pass from Maier to QB/Rec Tommy Stevens had him drop the pass and I don't recall seeing him for the balance of the game. I was in the end zone so wasn't sure if that was to be some trick option play or not.

Now see the stats and the Stamps couldn't run like they did last game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

All business feeling from the Lions victory tonight. Never felt that Calgary was in this game, Lions D was stifling any attempt of of a drive.

The concern is how Adam’s knee is after a nights sleep. Lions are legit contenders with Adam’s at the helm.

Looking forward to the Rider game that would basically secure a home playoff date with a win.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That was a statement win by VA and the Lions. Any doubts about this team’s character and poise after last week’s debacle in Winnipeg should have been erased in the first half of the Calgary game. The Stamps didn’t have a chance. VA completed 23 of 32 passes for 322 yards, throwing touchdown passes to four players. Keon Hatcher had a career best performance e with 9 catches on 10 targets for 170 yards and a TD after catching only 4 of 11 targets last week in Winnipeg.

The B.C. defence also returned to form, holding an opponent without a touchdown for the fifth time this year. Jake Maier looked afraid to throw the ball downfield, and the Stamps hurt themselves with dropped passes and penalties. We know this is a rebuilding year in Calgary but I’m not sure what they’re building. They out-rushed the Lions but most of their success on the ground came in the second half when they were down by three or four touchdowns, and all they had to show
for it was 3 second-half points.

The Lions’ offensive line struggled again, and the punt return team again couldn’t block for Terry Williams but those issues can be discussed another day. The Lions are 7-2 and tied for first place at the midway point of the season. They are fun to watch, and they’re as good as anyone.
Clash Dance
Rookie

Maybe, it's because of the dominant performance, but I tell you, love the weekend 4PM start times. I live well out in the Valley. Drive in and home had very little traffic, and was home early enough to watch a movie with the wife. Noticed something going on at Roger's Arena as we left and thinking it could be a combo opportunity with Canucks or Warriors if Aquilini wanted to play nice.
zeppo
Starter

Clash Dance wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:59 am
Noticed something going on at Roger's Arena as we left and thinking it could be a combo opportunity with Canucks or Warriors if Aquilini wanted to play nice.
I think what you're referring to was the Rod Stewart performance scheduled for Saturday evening.
David
Team Captain

Clash Dance wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:59 am
Maybe, it's because of the dominant performance, but I tell you, love the weekend 4PM start times. I live well out in the Valley. Drive in and home had very little traffic, and was home early enough to watch a movie with the wife. Noticed something going on at Roger's Arena as we left and thinking it could be a combo opportunity with Canucks or Warriors if Aquilini wanted to play nice.
I think the 4:00pm starts will prove more popular post-Labour Day when the weather turns cloudy and cool, people aren't away at the cabin, and the Lions aren't competing with myriad of outdoor activities (beaches, outdoor cafes, summer festivals etc.).

Still, a nice-sized crowd in the dome yesterday. Mixture of age groups and everyone seemed to have a great time. The curtain gave it a more intimate feel too, something they haven't used this season.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:14 am
I think the 4:00pm starts will prove more popular post-Labour Day when the weather turns cloudy and cool, people aren't away at the cabin, and the Lions aren't competing with myriad of outdoor activities (beaches, outdoor cafes, summer festivals etc.).

Still, a nice-sized crowd in the dome yesterday. Mixture of age groups and everyone seemed to have a great time. The curtain gave it a more intimate feel too, something they haven't used this season.

DH :cool:
I have mixed feelings about the 4 p.m. starts. They save me an overnight stay on the Lower Mainland, which I appreciate. I had an easy drive back to Kamloops last night, arriving home at 11:30. But with the earlier sunsets and the chance of changing weather conditions, I’ll probably stay in town after the Sept. 16 game, which is the last 4 p.m. start of the season. The final 3 home games are all on Friday nights against divisional rivals. I hate Friday traffic through the Fraser Valley. Those games will suffer at the gate because of the difficulty of getting into town.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:31 pm
tedbear wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:40 pm

The message before the last Stamps gain to Jake Maier was don't turn it over so he wasn't about to go downfield.
Havent' seen the stats yet but the Stamps couldn't run and I didn't think Dave Dickenson was at his best calling plays for them.
Second half opening pass from Maier to QB/Rec Tommy Stevens had him drop the pass and I don't recall seeing him for the balance of the game. I was in the end zone so wasn't sure if that was to be some trick option play or not.

Now see the stats and the Stamps couldn't run like they did last game.
Overcautious play was always a thing with Dickenson, especially when playing for Wally. He was a master at taking apart a defence if given an opening, but didn't adapt well, and he would always take a sack rather than throwing the ball up or away. It shortened his playing career because of that.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:09 am
The concern is how Adam’s knee is after a nights sleep. Lions are legit contenders with Adam’s at the helm.
Looked like irritated the knee more than anything. I was a bit concerned in that the tent went up when he came to the sidelines. Then I saw VA wandering around the bench area showing no signs of discomfort. It turned out it was Broxton in the tent. Knevel finished the game at LT. I think VA's injury was such that if the outcome was still up in the air he would have returned.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.