Season opener - BC @ Calgary

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:32 am
Was Siddiq dressed last night? Doesn’t show up in any stats. Trying to figure out who would be dropped from the game day roster once Hatcher returns.
Would they dress eight receivers with Rhymes, Hollins, Whitehead, Cottoy, McInnis Williams Petermann as well?
He was dressed. I wasn't watching how the DL rotations went but noticed him and Archibald both out on KO duties.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

Calgary is in trouble. Too many major losses in front seven. They can’t generate any pressure.
tedbear
Starter

We heard all last week about the fit of the Lions and how Kongbo did not adhere to the team first attitude. This game showed why he was traded. These guys last night played hard on both sides of the ball for each other.

When Adams got hit late Couture had his back. Couture took a foolish penalty and I am sure that Adams appreciated it and stuff like that goes a long way in building togetherness. Adams however knew that what Couture did was wrong and showed his leadership when he was visibiy upset when Couture took the penalty sending a message that those penalties will not be accepted. So at the end of the day Adams know that his Offensive line has his back but the Offensive line knows that foolish penalties will not be tolerated.

The Defence had the offences back, holding the Stamps to a field goal on Judges interception. Later in the game they had Lees back, on his ill advised pitch which led to a fumble. They once again held the Stamps to a field goal.

These are small things but anybody can play well when things are going well. Its the teams that stick together during the rough times, who do not let down or lose their discipline that usually prevail. This team showed me some of that last night.

This team has Talent, Chemistry, and plays hard for each other. Looking forward to the home opener next week.
David
Team Captain

Breakout performer of the game: Taquan Mizzell. 12 carries for 81 yards and a 6.8 yards per carry average. Looked decisive carrying the ball, great cutting ability, pass blocking was good as well.

Player of the game: Dominique Rhymes. 8 catches for 100 yards. Calgary did not have an answer for him early. Dominant performance. The telecast did not even mention that we were without Keon Hatcher, whom I would argue is 1b on this club.

Catch of the game: Justin McInnis. The way he high-pointed that crucial 2nd and long pass in the final minutes got the club a KEY first down. Had we punted to Calgary with the way Flintoft was punting last night, who knows what the outcome would have been.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Figaro
Rookie

I was not too sure what to expect from the team last night but after 60 minutes of football I came to these conclusions:

- Calgary is not the team it used to be;

- Adams is more than an adequate replacement;

- Rhymes earns his pay check;

- Our offensive line was as close to purrfect on pass protection as can be. If they continue to play like that, Adams will continue to shine. Shout out to Kelly Bates;

- Defence played as a unit and not a collection of egos - impressive;

- Teams weakness continues to be special teams on kick returns - I hope some improvement happens there or we are vulnerable;

- Great Canadian talent and depth.
Walt67
Starter

tedbear wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:44 am
We heard all last week about the fit of the Lions and how Kongbo did not adhere to the team first attitude. This game showed why he was traded. These guys last night played hard on both sides of the ball for each other.

When Adams got hit late Couture had his back. Couture took a foolish penalty and I am sure that Adams appreciated it and stuff like that goes a long way in building togetherness. Adams however knew that what Couture did was wrong and showed his leadership when he was visibiy upset when Couture took the penalty sending a message that those penalties will not be accepted. So at the end of the day Adams know that his Offensive line has his back but the Offensive line knows that foolish penalties will not be tolerated.

The Defence had the offences back, holding the Stamps to a field goal on Judges interception. Later in the game they had Lees back, on his ill advised pitch which led to a fumble. They once again held the Stamps to a field goal.

These are small things but anybody can play well when things are going well. Its the teams that stick together during the rough times, who do not let down or lose their discipline that usually prevail. This team showed me some of that last night.

This team has Talent, Chemistry, and plays hard for each other. Looking forward to the home opener next week.
You make a lot of valid points - however I would not bet the farm on this team quite yet. Uncharacteristically Calg missed two FGs and Maier certainly didn't look like Bo Levi in his prime. And much like the Western semi-final last year, I was surprised the Stamps didn't use their running game more as it certainly looked effective in the first possessions.
Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the Lions' game - and Mizzel (sp?) had a good first outing when needed - but with a stronger QB Calgary might have won that game in the second half - it was closer than it should have been.
Still, Calgary is always in the playoff hunt so a win is a win - let's take it
tedbear
Starter

Yes I agree with you it is early and there is a lot of football to be played. Injuries will certainly play a part in the end but so far I believe we have enough depth to hopefully be able to manage any injuries when they occur.

In regards to Calgary missing to field goals if they would have made them the game would have been played out differently we might have took more shots at pushing the ball in the endzone as I thought once we had the lead we played more safe on offence knowing that our defence was able to control the Calgary Offence.

I believe we took the run away from them. They were able to break some long runs but tough to sustain drives when one of your runs goes for nothing and you are 2nd and 10 and you cant convert a first down because your passing game is not working.

Like you said its a win and lets enjoy everyone that we get.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I think at some point Calgary's run options were reduced. I watched Carey walk stiffly off the field part way thru the 3rd. I don't think Carey returned as around the same time they stopped using Logan as their returner letting him take all the tailback reps while Barnes took over as KR.
David
Team Captain

Figaro wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:51 pm
Teams weakness continues to be special teams on kick returns - I hope some improvement happens there or we are vulnerable
Yes. We continue to be vulnerable on the kick return, giving up huge chunks of yardage.

And what has happened to Flintoft? At one time I thought we may lose him to the NFL. Now, too often, his punts are an adventure, either putting us in a ‘no yards’ situation, not enough hang time and out-distancing coverage, or sailing out of bounds outside the 15 and costing us valuable yards.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

It's only a one game sample size but I think our 4 biggest concerns going into the season seem to be in good hands. Is some regards the performance of the departed made things even more comforting.

QB - solid performance by Adams
LT - nothing not to like about Broxton yet in Hamilton Figueroa waved the red cape at the bull and called Ole as Haba blew right past him for an uncontested sack of Bo.
RB - solid game by Mizzell while Butler fumbled twice for the Ticats.
LS - Pickett did his job without error while Doll 4 hopped one into Leone and had him reaching for a shin level snap in another.