Final Cuts - BC included

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:06 pm
Also, Hambone, did perhaps Christian Uphoff impress you enough throughout TC to have you speculating on Manny Rugamba as a shocker cut? Manny was no slouch last year. Energetic hitter. I see Uphoff is three inches taller which always helps. Anyhow, just curious on your thinking behind the speculation. Cheers.
I was just spitballing Ernie. Rumblings in Kamloops were that coaches were really liking Uphoff and that WIL might be the most suitable place for him. I don't know if he was ever a threat to Rugumba's status but thought if there were to be any surprise cuts to make room for a newcomer that the position, more than the player, might be a spot.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
It's a moot point now, but did anyone ever discover if it was a case of Tanner Doll wanting to move on elsewhere, or if the Lions didn't want him for whatever reasons?

Also, Hambone, did perhaps Christian Uphoff impress you enough throughout TC to have you speculating on Manny Rugamba as a shocker cut? Manny was no slouch last year. Energetic hitter. I see Uphoff is three inches taller which always helps. Anyhow, just curious on your thinking behind the speculation. Cheers.
Lions decision
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:04 am
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
I was just spitballing Ernie. Rumblings in Kamloops were that coaches were really liking Uphoff and that WIL might be the most suitable place for him. I don't know if he was ever a threat to Rugumba's status but thought if there were to be any surprise cuts to make room for a newcomer that the position, more than the player, might be a spot.
Manny Rugamba was the best defensive player in camp, in my opinion. His job was never in doubt. Uphoff backed him up at SAM on the second team. I'm somewhat surprised they didn't keep him on the practice roster but he may have been offered the position and declined. The Lions still have 10 DBs on the roster, including rookies Siriman Bagayogo and Patrice Rene, American free agent Mike Jones and second-year Canadian Adrian Greene.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Rene is a sort-of rookie. This will be his 3rd CFL season after being drafted by Winnipeg in 2021. Injuries derailed him in both years in Winnipeg restricting him to playing only a single game that being in August last year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:51 am
Rene is a sort-of rookie. This will be his 3rd CFL season after being drafted by Winnipeg in 2021. Injuries derailed him in both years in Winnipeg restricting him to playing only a single game that being in August last year.
Rene impressed me in training camp. He’s more game-ready than Bagayogo, who was exploited in camp.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

With the Lions starting their practice week early before their first game Thursday in Calgary, they filed their first injury report today. Keon Hatcher (foot), whose only live reps in training camp and preseason came in the first half of the Fan Fest scrimmage on May 20, is one of only two players who missed Sunday's practice due to injury. Global LB Maxime Rouyer (hamstring) is the other. We'll find out Wednesday who will make the 45-man game roster and who will be a healthy scratch.

https://www.bclions.com/injuryreport/
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:58 am
David wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:15 am
(and B.C.FAN, just a correction. I show they released Sidney Wells)

DH :cool:
There are some inconsistencies. Wells is on the list of cuts and on the active roster. That may be just a clerical error.

My biggest conclusion is that the Lions are going all in to win the Grey Cup this year, stacking the roster with veterans and quality depth players and willing to stash extra bodies wherever they can until they're needed due to injury or performance issues with those ahead of them.

Carrying 9 players on the O-line and 13 on the D-line suggests they aren't sold on their best rotation. But carrying just one RB and one FB is something I haven't seen before. Mizzell can make big plays by rushing, receiving and returning but I said in camp that I didn't think he had the size and durability to be an every-down back. We'll see how that plays out. I'd be happy if it resulted in more touches for David Mackie. As for Antonio Williams, he took a big hit on the last day of training camp and stayed down for a while. He later came back but the same thing happened in the Calgary preseason game. I'm not sure of the nature of either injury.
12 dline. Haven’t caught up to all the cuts as Alex McAllister was cut on Wednesday, he is still up on roster too.

Two hardest areas to recruit is tackle and Dline with xfl and usfl sucking up players (although 98% can’t play at cfl level), still there are 1 or 2 guys you would normally be able to bring in. We kept 4 american tackles. And 4 American dline plus moore.

If Hatcher is hurt and mcinnis slots in, we could dress 10 Dline (6 ends).
52 on active roster … but Hatcher and rouyer are hurt. 45 dress.
Last edited by Qman on Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:34 pm
With the Lions starting their practice week early before their first game Thursday in Calgary, they filed their first injury report today. Keon Hatcher (foot), whose only live reps in training camp and preseason came in the first half of the Fan Fest scrimmage on May 20, is one of only two players who missed Sunday's practice due to injury. Global LB Maxime Rouyer (hamstring) is the other. We'll find out Wednesday who will make the 45-man game roster and who will be a healthy scratch.

https://www.bclions.com/injuryreport/
It won't surprise me if Hatcher starts the season on the 6G list. Plantar fasciitis is sort of like a concussion in that unlike a broken bone or other ligament or muscle tears there really isn't a timeline for recovery. Depends on the individual patient and how they respond to things like orthotics and physio. As Yogi Berra was know to say "it ain't over until it's over".
cromartie
Hall of Famer

So you sign Lemon.
Then you cut Lemon to sign Kongbo.
Then you trade Kongbo.

Someone help me out here.
Last edited by cromartie on Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clash Dance
Rookie

And for a conditional draft pick?
OV:54-40
Starter

cromartie wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:33 am
So you sign Lemon.
Then you trade Kongbo.

And some thought maybe he signed with the Lions to play for his home Province? - wonder if he approved of the trade?

And traded to another team as well already loaded at Canadian D-Linemen ?

Hard to make sense of some CFL moves at times.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:33 am
So you sign Lemon.
Then you trade Kongbo.

Farhan's tweet gives a fairly clear answer:

So maybe this guy is not a fit here. Yet's he's a local guy out of Holy Cross. Yet he seemed to fit the Bombers.

Or maybe they think getting out of the 3rd round pick back was a good deal. Or maybe Justin Dunk is right - if you need to bring back Shawn Lemon.

It's the pros and you're supposed to act like one. With all this potential you'd think the coaches could let him know the expectations - and maybe they did!

But maybe he's one of those guys whose NFL ambitions overshadow his interactions. Hard to say but it's a strange outcome for such a heralded player in the potential department.

https://3downnation.com/2023/06/05/b-c- ... iger-cats/
The B.C. Lions have traded Canadian defensive lineman Jonathan Kongbo to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for a conditional 2024 CFL Draft pick, per sources.
This trade will allow Hamilton to put Kongbo with a group of Canadian pass-rushers that already includes Mason Bennett and Kwaku Boateng. Meanwhile, the Lions are in need of a defensive lineman. Shawn Lemon was having a strong camp prior to being let go in the numbers game when B.C. initially signed Kongbo. The Leos would be smart to bring Lemon back to the west coast.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C. Lions sign former Riders’ running back Kienan LaFrance
Last season, the 32-year-old recorded nine carries for 39 yards, five receptions for 28 yards, and four special teams tackles.

https://3downnation.com/2023/06/05/b-c- ... -lafrance/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:37 am
Last season, the 32-year-old recorded nine carries for 39 yards, five receptions for 28 yards, and four special teams tackles.

I like this signing. I've been advocating for the Lions to sign a national running back who can back up the starter and contribute on special teams. I can't recall the Lions ever going into a game with just one running back and one fullback on the roster. LaFrance has been productive in the past. I'm not sure about his drop in production lately.
OV:54-40
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:47 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:37 am

I like this signing. I've been advocating for the Lions to sign a national running back who can back up the starter and contribute on special teams. I can't recall the Lions ever going into a game with just one running back and one fullback on the roster. LaFrance has been productive in the past. I'm not sure about his drop in production lately.

It's hard to produce when you don't get to play. LaFrance has been given little opportunity really ever since that RedBlacks GC run where he propelled them to the title game with a big game in the snow in the play-offs and then started in the GC as well - under HC Campbell.

LaFrance is a veteran and a capable RB; good depth signing anyways, and I'd guess at a lot less than what he was supposedly making before $s? A team can always draft a RB every draft and get a depth RB at CFL minimum wage, but a known vet RB might be preferable to some GMs & HCs.