Rourke NFL workouts: chooses Jacksonville

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Jacksonville Jaguars’ newest quarterback joined the Super Bowl-winning tight end turned TSN analyst on the latest episode of his podcast All Time with Luke Willson, fending off a few light-hearted jabs about whether the CFL was “trash.

I haven't listened in full so can't speak to the context of Willson's comments on the CFL but the article suggests it might be a bit in jest.

The article based on the youtube interview has little of Rourke but one quote and more about Bighill.
‘How was he not starting in the NFL?’: Nathan Rourke, Luke Willson bond over Adam Bighill’s ‘dominance’
3 Down article gets into some good details.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/13/how- ... dominance/

Willson speaks of training with Rob Williams and Adam Bighill.

Seeing Adam Bighill in the Port Moody Gym working out after a day with Rob Williams pre-covid, I can attest to what Luke Willson says when he was shocked at Bighill's work effort. I noticed on the nights that Solomon Eliminian turned up with Bighill, the latter's work rate shot up significantly! He pushes harder when pushed in workouts.
“There’s a guy that I trained with in the offseason one year, you played against him: Adam Bighill,” Willson admitted. “Oh, man, this dude was dominant. Dominant.”
“He’s like, ‘Hey, do you want to do some one-on-ones?'” he recalled. “He’s a linebacker and I could run pretty good, so I remember looking at him like, ‘Bro, get the f*** out of here.’ You want to do one-on-ones? I’m about to roast you, my guy. You’re a linebacker, no one on the planet Earth would want to do this.”
“This guy was glued to me! And then I’m like, okay, I’m just gonna run by him but he was fast as f***. I’m like, ‘This guy does it all’ and it was very confusing to me how not only he wasn’t in the NFL, he was not starting in the NFL,” Willson recounted.
Rourke:
“I’m a huge Adam Bighill fan. He’s the man and I tell you what, there’s not a tougher guy in the CFL that we’ve had to prepare for over the last two years,” Rourke said. “Just watching him on film, he’s making every play, he’s around the pile if he’s not making the tackle. They’ve got him playing safety on second down.”
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
OV:54-40
Starter

Believe it was 14 QBs picked this NFL draft.

Might say something about how Nathan Rourke was viewed by a lot of teams down there - how many teams "looked" at him in his NFL try-out tour?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

OV:54-40 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:26 pm

Might say something about how Nathan Rourke was viewed by a lot of teams down there - how many teams "looked" at him in his NFL try-out tour?
Good news for Rourke: Jacksonville selected 13 players in this weekend's NFL draft. None were quarterbacks.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

It says a lot about was already known going into this draft. Whereas last year's draft was known to be woefully weak for QB talent this one was acknowledged to be one of the deepest in many years. That so many QBs were drafted this weekend was expected long before Rourke was able to start talking to NFL clubs.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:30 pm

It says a lot about was already known going into this draft. Whereas last year's draft was known to be woefully weak for QB talent this one was acknowledged to be one of the deepest in many years. That so many QBs were drafted this weekend was expected long before Rourke was able to start talking to NFL clubs.

I was wondering if any of the teams Rourke visited on his NFL "work-out" tour ended up drafting QB in the mid rounds on?

What is might also say is that Rourke's spectacular CFL season (one of the best passing displays in CFL history arguably) and 2 years of pro/CFL experience and what he got to show in those cursory work-outs, got trumped by a good Div I QB resume (which Nathan also has); but that was to be expected too.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:30 pm

I'm not sure where you got that information from, but that's not correct.

On an impartial grading scale, there were probably two NFL caliber starters (Young and Stroud) in this draft pool with two additional developmental starter prospects (Richardson and Levis). And Young (size) and Stroud (decision making) have significant challenges.

Philosophically, almost every NFL team will take a look at even marginal QB prospects in the hope of a lottery ticket or a quality sustainable backup. The Lions taking Hooker in round three is an example of this. Hooker can develop into a decent backup who can spot start ala Teddy Bridgewater.

There are three reasons for the number of QBs drafted this year in the mid to late rounds specifically:

1) COVID gave a lot of guys an extra year of eligibility.
2) The aforementioned Ron Wolf principal of always taking a QB taking hold across the league.
3) The likely coming dearth of QB talent. NIL opportunities mean QBs are likely to stay in school longer. If you can make more, and play on NIL money, even if you need to go through the transfer portal to get it, than you could being a 5th/6th round pick for an NFL team, you're going to stay in school. This won't impact other positions (aside from RBs) but it's going to hit the QB prospect pool hard here shortly. This isn't a bad thing, because when guys do come out they'll have actual playing experience but over the short term it's going to squeeze the pipeline.

But talent is definitely not the reason so many guys were taken this year. This was a really mediocre talent pool, though less bad than last year.

And the Jaguars didn't take a QB because they have Rourke. (Having said that, I'd keep my eye on whether Carson Wentz ends up there).
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:58 pm

I was wondering if any of the teams Rourke visited on his NFL "work-out" tour ended up drafting QB in the mid rounds on?

What is might also say is that Rourke's spectacular CFL season (one of the best passing displays in CFL history arguably) and 2 years of pro/CFL experience and what he got to show in those cursory work-outs, got trumped by a good Div I QB resume (which Nathan also has); but that was to be expected too.
From an earlier post in this thread:

The visit (Cleveland) marks the Canadian pivot’s twelfth NFL workout this off-season, following visits with the Las Vegas Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars, Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Indianapolis Colts, Arizona Cardinals, Los Angeles Chargers, Cincinnati Bengals, Kansas City Chiefs, and New York Giants.

I think this was the final list. I believe he capped his tour at 12 despite invites from several othet teams. Reportedly he was offered a contract by multiple teams in addition to Jacksonville. I don't recall if it was disclosed exactly how many formal offers were made or by whom.

Of those 12 above:
Teams who took a QB in first 3 rounds (picks 1-102 - total 5 taken): Colts (4)
Teams who took a QB in rounds 4-5 (picks 103-177 - total 7 taken): Raiders (135), Cardinals (139), Browns (140), Vikings (164)
Teams who took a QB in rounds 6-7 (picks 178-259 - total 2 taken): Chargers (239)
Didn't take a QB: Jag, Broncos, Bucs, Bengals, Chiefs, Giants
Signed a QB to UDFA: Giants
Gave rookie mini-camp invites: Broncos, Colts, Giants, Bucs
Starter

So I guess the Vikings, for example, with an aging Cousins and not much else at QB, decided that drafting an oft injured QB with nothing that special on his college ball resume, was smarter over giving Rourke a shot ?

Very hard to imagine justifying going to the Jags - with a proven young star QB and a re-signed vet back-up in the mix - was the better move for Nathan, but he had no say, so had to jump at the chance presented. (Ok, not hard to imagine really - cue the story line ...
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Wed May 03, 2023 6:37 pm
So I guess the Vikings, for example, with an aging Cousins and not much else at QB, decided that drafting an oft injured QB with nothing that special on his college ball resume, was smarter over giving Rourke a shot ?

Very hard to imagine justifying going to the Jags - with a proven young star QB and a re-signed vet back-up in the mix - was the better move for Nathan, but he had no say, so had to jump at the chance presented. (Ok, not hard to imagine really - cue the story line ...
Since Rourke has zero chance of beating out Trevor Lawrence at starting QB, my assumption is that Rourke chose to sign with the Jags based on coaching and the overall QB room. Once his first NFL contract is complete, that will be when his true starting QB opportunities will occur, likely with a team other than the Jags.
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 5:42 am
Wed May 03, 2023 6:37 pm

Since Rourke has zero chance of beating out Trevor Lawrence at starting QB, my assumption is that Rourke chose to sign with the Jags based on coaching and the overall QB room. Once his first NFL contract is complete, that will be when his true starting QB opportunities will occur, likely with a team other than the Jags.
Could well have been his thinking there. Also wouldn't be surprised if they were the only team that offered a contract.
tedbear
Starter

I beg to differ, I think he had many opportunities to sign a contract with other teams. He is taking the same route down there that he did in the cfl.

1, Go to a team with a better than average offence.
2, Work hard and learn and win the number 2 job.
3, Wait till the starter gets hurt and then go in and show what you can do

Rourke wanted to go to a team with a good coaching staff so he could learn from one of the best, and with Doug Pedersen he feels that is a good fit for him to learn. Is he going to beat out Lawrence. Definately not. But when he gets his chance he will have studied and worked his ass off and he will be ready to make the best out of the opportunity, with a good offence that has all the weapons that will help him be successful.

Why go to a team with a lousy offence and no weapons and when you get your one chance you have less of an opportunity to be succesful. In the NFL if you were never drafted you will probably only get one chance.

Rourke is smart and knows if he has an opportunity to win the backup spot he will get a chance to play and he will be ready, just like he was here.

Only 10 out of 32 quarterbacks started every game last year in the NFL. So if Rourke is the backup he knows he has a 68 percent chance of starting a game. All he wants is to get a decent shot of getting some playing time and if he looks good their will be plenty of opportunities when his contract is up to sign with another team for a chance at being their starter.

Of course Lawrence might buck the trend and stay healthy for two years, or Rourke may not win the backup spot, or Rourke does get a chance and *poop* the bed. But i think the young man has a solid plan and i for one am not going to bet against him.
Lui05
Rookie

tedbear wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:46 am
But i think the young man has a solid plan and i for one am not going to bet against him.
:whs:
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

Steven Wright
Jazzman
prospect

Huge loss for the LIONs and the CFL .
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:54 am
Good interview Farhan with Rourke.

https://www.tsn.ca/nfl/video/~2736160?f ... NqVhSWcfig
Good interview. His off season work with Rob Williams in North Van and even at this weding in Alberta show this guy is a serious learner.

Only 3 QBs in camp makes it a good spot for him.
In some ways the positives in the quality and belief in their no. 2 QB actually make his position safer to keep and give him more learning and growth time. He could parlay that with the Jags or a trade if he shows he can actually play there which I believe he can.

6/6 and TD toss in the red zone sounds positive for any QB in a new offense, "new lingo" and schemes.
He's learning all this and mentioned that at times he's "thinking" which can affect a QB's success.

He knows what he needs to do and that's a positive: "consistency," "completions and spread the ball around" so Nathan Rourke is focused.

He's proven to be patient backing up Reilly in BC that year.

Not a lot of downside for him there.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy