Rourke NFL workouts: chooses Jacksonville

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:28 pm
I don't recall the talk at the time from Fish fans when Cam Wake signed in Miami Toppy but suspect what he'd already accomplished in the CFL barely caused a ripple in the water. That he came out of Linebacker U aka Penn State probably resonated more with them than the fact he was the reigning CFL MODP.

When a fanbase has a young QB like Trevor Lawrence to follow they could give a rat's behind about who they bring in as backups. The only time they care will be the first time the training staff goes out on the field to attend to Lawrence. Then they'll be scrambling for a roster list so they can see who the back up is. I was like that while following the Colts thru the Manning era. Half the time I didn't know who their backup was or cared and I've followed the Colts since the middle of Unitas' career.
My sense is that fans will only get interested in Rourke and excited about how special a talent Nathan Rourke is when he gets to play.
Coaches at TC will no doubt have eyes opened.

A fact. Rourke seen more game action under fire than CJ Beathard has amassed as he hasn't a similar chance to play.

IIRC when Cam Wake started to make waves in the NFL, his story got out on him and fans then took notice of his CFL days.

Cam Wake like the other greats who have never forgot their CFL days has nothing but positives to say about the CFL and I'm sure Nathan Rourke in future won't either.

https://www.bclions.com/2016/04/08/wake ... ll-family/

This Bleacher Report article shows a pic of his slip-ons he was using with the CFL logo on them.
Cameron Wake Q&A: From Playing in the CFL to Playing Beside Ndamukong Suh
JASON COLE
MAY 11, 2015
B/R: As you go through this now in the NFL, make more money and play next to guys who make a lot more, that obviously amps up the expectations. Do you try to remind yourself of those days back in the CFL?

Wake: Every day. We just finished up a workout, and I put my slippers, my shower shoes, on. They have the CFL logo on them. It reminds me every day of how different it was. The facilities were…you just can't compare them. The meal room we have here compared to the one in the CFL—it was more like a counter with bread and cereal. In the CFL, you do your own laundry. Convenience-wise, it's so different, and that ingrained a value in me. The gym down the street from our facility was better than what we had. We had maybe one squat rack. But you appreciate it because it was the way it was. All the things guys take for granted, you have to do on your own. Guys would have to get together themselves to go run hills or work out.

There was just a different aspect to it. The way it worked there, you would play a game and then you would stay over in the city you played in and take a flight the next day. So you'd get to know a lot more of the guys around the league because you'd hang out together after the game. The league was much smaller and you knew probably half the guys in the league because you'd call them and say, "Hey, let's go have dinner and hang out after the game." It was just way different.

Wake's full story here including a Tweet of the Lions facility inside and where it says "The birthplace of Cameron Wake."
What Happened To Cameron Wake? (Complete Story)
By Poch de la Rosa May 19, 2022
https://www.profootballhistory.com/cameron-wake/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The talk about US fan reaction to Rourke's signing and Wake's triggered another memory. Back over Christmas and New Years of 1983 a buddy and I were down in Puerta Vallarta for 2 weeks. We'd found a bar that showed lots of Bowl and NFL games and spent a lot of time there. Of course because of that there was always a lot of Americans there from all over the US west all the way back into Illinois and Indiana. At the time it was well known that Warren Moon was shopping himself around for an NFL contract. I quizzed quite a few of them for their thoughts about Moon. Needless to say I was quite surprised at the general indifference to Moon possibly coming to the NFL. I'd be telling them that after watching him dominate in the CFL for the past few years I thought he could do very well in the NFL. General response was meh even amongst Seattle area people. The stigma about black QBs back in 83/84 was still very prevalent but the reaction still caught me off guard.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Jaguars signed QB C.J. Beathard to a two-year contract extension.

Beathard has been Trevor Lawrence's backup in each of the past two years. During his time in Jacksonville, he has thrown 13 passes for 68 passing yards and an interception. He previously made 12 starts over a three-year span with the 49ers.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Feb 24, 2023 at 1:38 PM ET
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Another 3 Down Nation Nathan O'Rourke article this time by Justin Dunk.

Too many stories are guys going to the NFL or Montreal losing AGAIN their President to QMJH league as Commissioner.

MBT is getting lots of cover for his quest to get to NFL.

While the article is not second-guessing Rourke signing with the Jags and mentions how Henry Burris could help him with his role there.

The article says things change fast but often a GM in love with a player making $2 mill over the guy making $220K or so might not look favourably on seeing his money out of the picture. Always a trade possible but...

Do these numbers and the GM liking CJB mean with only 2 QBs dressed Rourke is doomed to the practice squad?
Does the limited time to show anything in pre-season and practice move the dial for Rourke this year?

The 24-year-old received a $5,000 signing bonus along with $216,000 in guaranteed base salary to total $221,000 USD in monetary assurances. At a minimum, it would seem to indicate that the six-foot-two, 209-pound passer could be on the Jags’ practice squad for one season.
Veteran backup C.J. Beathard re-signed for two years, getting $2 million in guaranteed money with a maximum value of $4.5 million. Rourke was given “reassurance” from the Jaguars that he would be able to compete to back up Lawrence.
The bottom line is that Rourke was patient in BC earning a heckuva lot less money and if injury free (which is always top of mind for a coach looking at player who was just injured) Rourke shows well in practice, works real hard and learns fast.

https://3downnation.com/2023/03/08/cana ... eed-money/
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Yesterday the Jags also released last year's 3rd QB E.J.Perry. Perry had been signed as a rookie UDFA last year to a deal that included significant guaranteed money.

https://3downnation.com/2023/03/08/cana ... eed-money/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:13 am
Do these numbers and the GM liking CJB mean with only 2 QBs dressed Rourke is doomed to the practice squad?
Does the limited time to show anything in pre-season and practice move the dial for Rourke this year?
He will likely get quite a bit of playing time in pre-season. Last year Jacksonville played in the Hall of Fame game giving them 4 preseason games.

In the HOF game only Luton and Sloter saw action. Lawrence and Beathard suited up but didn't take a snap. Sloter was released shortly after the game and Perry re-signed.

In the next game Lawrence and Beathard each played one quarter with Luton playing the 2nd half. Perry dressed but did not play. Luton was cut after the game leaving them with Lawrence, Beathard and Perry for the rest of the preseason.

In game 3 Lawrence played the 1st half, Beathard the 3rd quarter and Perry the 4th quarter.

Perry played the entire 4th preseason game while Lawrence and Beathard watched from the sidelines.

In the end it was Perry who saw the most preseason action playing 5 out of 16 quarters. Lawrence played 3, Beathard 2, Luton 4 and Sloter 2.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BREAKING NEWS:
Henry Burris no longer coaching with Jacksonville Jaguars: report
[

Former CFL QB @HenryBurris will not be back with @Jaguars in a quality control role for the 2023 season. Is looking up move-up to QB coaching role in the @NFL for next season. Has interviewed for jobs with other teams during the past month.
https://3downnation.com/2023/03/08/henr ... rs-report/

Hmm, isn't it odd that he's leaving without a job to go to - unless it was his personal decision?

Haven't most teams in the NFL and CFL nailed down their staff for 2023?

I guess my concern is this program and whether it leads to these dudes getting coaching jobs.

Still blows my mind that Damon Allen with a long, long career in the CFL and resident of Canada isn't coaching in the CFL. He too was one year in this Bill Walsh program. I made this comment on Linkedin and he responded with "I agree" or something like that.

Burris should have been a slam dunk for a coaching offer here.

Look at the CFL success stories: Dave D, Buck Pierce, Ryan Dinwoodie.
I recall saying he didn't think Dave D would be interested in coaching. Look at him now.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:57 am
BREAKING NEWS:
Henry Burris no longer coaching with Jacksonville Jaguars: report
[

Former CFL QB @HenryBurris will not be back with @Jaguars in a quality control role for the 2023 season. Is looking up move-up to QB coaching role in the @NFL for next season. Has interviewed for jobs with other teams during the past month.
https://3downnation.com/2023/03/08/henr ... rs-report/

Hmm, isn't it odd that he's leaving without a job to go to - unless it was his personal decision?
Rourke's prospects in Jacksonville are getting bleaker by the day.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

It is ironic that Burris put in a lot of time and effort in becoming a Canadian citizen but he now finds his best oppourtunities for his post CFL career seem to be in the USA.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:17 pm
It is ironic that Burris put in a lot of time and effort in becoming a Canadian citizen but he now finds his best oppourtunities for his post CFL career seem to be in the USA.
Certainly there are exponentially more opportunities down there with 48 pro teams and 500 colleges compared to 9 pro teams and what 25 college teams in Canada? He's indicated he wants to be a QB Coach next in his career progression. Last year I think there was only 4 such jobs in the CFL. Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal were the only clubs with dedicated QB coaches. Gotta go where the work is.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:04 pm
DanoT wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:17 pm
It is ironic that Burris put in a lot of time and effort in becoming a Canadian citizen but he now finds his best opportunities for his post-CFL career seem to be in the USA.
Certainly there are exponentially more opportunities down there with 48 pro teams and 500 colleges compared to 9 pro teams and what 25 college teams in Canada? He's indicated he wants to be a QB Coach next in his career progression. Last year I think there was only 4 such jobs in the CFL. Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal were the only clubs with dedicated QB coaches. Gotta go where the work is.
I get it you go where the jobs are but my belief is that the CFL could do a lot for itself if they gave more players coaching roles.

Every team in the CFL knew the Burris connection to the CFL and living here.

Same with Damon Allen.

The "old boys" network is one thing but more of these guys who love to live and work in Canada are good for the CFL as coaching material.

Too often they bring in assistants from down south whose only reason being here is to leap frog to southern jobs.

The idea that Henry Burris there could be a benefit for Nathan Rourke rather than what he can do for himself likely played little to no role in his Jags decision.
Lionize
prospect

I haven't read every comment on this thread, so I hope I am not being repetitive. While I agree that financially, this was a good move for Rourke, I don't think he will be happy there, nor will he ever get to showcase his talent. I did some recent research and he is not even shown on The Jag’s depth chart. He is a practice roster player, so no other teams will likely ever get a chance to see his potential. He is a tiny fish in a monstrous pond in the NFL, whereas he could have been a colossal presence in the small pond that is the CFL. Bad move IMO.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Lionize wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:23 am
I haven't read every comment on this thread, so I hope I am not being repetitive. While I agree that financially, this was a good move for Rourke, I don't think he will be happy there, nor will he ever get to showcase his talent. I did some recent research and he is not even shown on The Jag’s depth chart. He is a practice roster player, so no other teams will likely ever get a chance to see his potential. He is a tiny fish in a monstrous pond in the NFL, whereas he could have been a colossal presence in the small pond that is the CFL. Bad move IMO.
Don't read much into their depth chart. It's basically the 2022 depth chart with blank spaces for deletions of those who have moved on. Teams don't usually bother putting together a complete depth chart at this point because they are still signing FAs and have yet to go through the draft and UDFA signings. None of the players they have signed as free agents from other teams show on the depth chart either. The Jags list 70 players on their roster but only 52 show on their depth chart including nobody at RT and no starter at one WR spot and one TE spot. You won't see anything resembling a real depth chart until training camp begins.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

My sense is that Nathan Rourke is very, very astute and has some solid advisors (so they say).

Conclusion: he picked the Jags for reasons that are likely well-founded and grounded in reality.
Also, it is likely not a bad thing to be in a position where he can just let his performance in camp/ pre-season do his talking.

On the downside, I'm confident that he knows the uphill battle he's in versus his status with BC after Reilly retired.

The reality is that the numbers of those who are successful in what he's doing are few and a lack of comparables. Like some pundits say, he's not wanting to be a Chris Streveler type of QB in the NFL. I'm not knocking his approach to keeping in the NFL but he could find it hard like Streveler did after a terrific pre-season to progress as he wants.

However, Rourke seems built to be that rare breed of athlete who isn't fueled just by talent and an over-sized ego. The latter big ego guys don't fare as well with adversity in their paths.

Would he come back to the CFL in the next two years? I dunno but if I were to bet, I think he'll stick down there somewhere and eventually start.
OV:54-40
Starter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:40 am
My sense is that Nathan Rourke is very, very astute and has some solid advisors (so they say).

Conclusion: he picked the Jags for reasons that are likely well-founded and grounded in reality.
Also, it is likely not a bad thing to be in a position where he can just let his performance in camp/ pre-season do his talking.

On the downside, I'm confident that he knows the uphill battle he's in versus his status with BC after Reilly retired.

The reality is that the numbers of those who are successful in what he's doing are few and a lack of comparables. Like some pundits say, he's not wanting to be a Chris Streveler type of QB in the NFL. I'm not knocking his approach to keeping in the NFL but he could find it hard like Streveler did after a terrific pre-season to progress as he wants.

However, Rourke seems built to be that rare breed of athlete who isn't fueled just by talent and an over-sized ego. The latter big ego guys don't fare as well with adversity in their paths.

Would he come back to the CFL in the next two years? I dunno but if I were to bet, I think he'll stick down there somewhere and eventually start.

I believe Nathan will stick it out in the NFL for some time - work hard and wait patiently for a shot ... that might never come. He could still make tons of buck$ as a long-time NFL back-up QB; and if he really values playing he could come back to the CFL anytime - with a bunch of suitors - and make some decent coin still.

I also believe he signed with the Jags as one of the few teams who had any sort of even half-@ssed interest in him. An NFL team in real QB need (read several) would have jumped at signing him to compete for #2 or even the #1 job; his very nice resume at Ohio meant nothing to the NFL super-experts, but film of his outstanding CFL season could have piqued some serious interest, but IMO it did not.