Who will be moving on?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:00 pm
Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:27 pm
Unfortunately the CFL has to protect their copyrighted material. If they chose to look the other way in this case they'd have to look the other way for everybody.
no they wouldnt. They have the right to decide on every individual case whether or not they want to do anything about it. They did not have to go after this kid and were very bush to do so
I suppose they have the right to decide but they also have a process whereby entities can apply to be a CFL licensee. What if they want to shut the next one down and it's not a kid but a thirtysomething adult or small company and that entity claims the CFL set precedent by allowing others to get away with it. What if some kid goes buying and selling offshore knockoffs of CFL merch? Ah it's a kid. We'll look the other way this time. I don't remember the specifics but seems to me when Brad Lawryk was running his Total-CFL fan forum website the CFL had some issues with something about it related to copyrights.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

J.J. Adams of The Province has written a good overview of the Lions' roster heading into free agency from the perspective of co-GM Neil McEvoy, with three starting offensive linemen and RB James Butler heading the list of pending FAs. Some excerpts:
“We’re in the negotiation part of all this, and I’m hoping that at the end of the day, we can all come together to keep that group together. We’re doing as much as we can to get as many of those guys signed back, and they’re slowly trickling through because we’re getting closer to that point of no return.”
“We have a list of guys we’re obviously going to connect with. I don’t know how active we’re going to be in the free agent market just because our football team is pretty set with guys that we already have.”
“We’re not in the financial cap space that people think. We’ve gone from a quarterback making $80,000 to a quarterback margin of $400,000, so that puts a lot of pressure on the whole situation.

“We’re probably Day 2-, Day 3-type buyer’s market, just to add depth to what we currently have. And that being said, we have a bunch of guys that already give depth.”
“Vernon [Adams] is such a personable guy, and is loved by his current teammates. He’s also loved by all of his ex-teammates, so it actually opens up, coincidentally, more doors for guys who want to play with him. Vernon has a lot of friends around the league, and that certainly says a lot of good things about him.

“He does attract good football players, which is another reason why we felt that having a guy like Vernon around, it will help us with that.”
B.C. Lions working their way through pending free agent list before 'point of no return'
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:37 am
And yet another 2 year deal. By my count 9 of the 11 BC has extended were for 2 years. Roster stability. Gotta like it. Whether it's getting the entire coaching staff back or landing all these 2 year deals it seems like stability is a big priority of Rick & Neil.

Peters takes care of all the important pieces in the secondary. Now to tidy up the loose ends on the OL, Butler, Gwachum and Doll.
Doubt Gwacham is back, was a healthy scratch due to ratio last 3 games. He’ll get some offers.

Butler plays a position that you don’t want to spend cap space.

Retaining most of oline (or upgrading) must be a priority
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

James Butler is one of many prominent unsigned RBs around the league, including Andrew Harris, Sean Thomas Erlington, William Powell, A.J. Ouellette, Walter Fletcher and Shaq Cooper. It could be a buyers’ market.
David
Team Captain

“We have a list of guys we’re obviously going to connect with. I don’t know how active we’re going to be in the free agent market just because our football team is pretty set with guys that we already have.”
This is disappointing to read. I think we're still about 3-4 key players away from being at Winnipeg's level. Without Rourke, perhaps Burnham too, we're probably not at Calgary's or Toronto's level either if I am being honest (although Stove Richardson will make a difference if he returns).

I want to see more upgrades/depth on the O-line, at defensive tackle, and in the secondary. If we're not likely to be very active in the CFL FA market, hopefully, we can sign some good US college FAs and ex-NFLers.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:29 pm
This is disappointing to read. I think we still about 3-4 key players away from being at Winnipeg's level. Without Rourke, perhaps Burnham too, we're probably not at Calgary's or Toronto's level either if I am being honest (although Stove Richardson will make a difference if he returns).

I want to see more upgrades/depth on the O-line, at defensive tackle, and in the secondary. If we're not likely to be very active in the CFL FA market, hopefully, we can sign some good US college FAs and ex-NFLers.

DH :cool:
That may be easier said than done especially on the OL. Currently there are only 18 pending OL FAs including Ucambre Williams who has supposedly retired and Dan Clark who no doubt will only play in Saskatchewan if he doesn't already retire. As for the remaining 16 it's an underwhelming list much thinner than 2022's list that was also underwhelming. Outside of Michael Couture and perhaps Hunter Steward if BC wants to bring him back there's nothing much to get excited about, Chungh, Godber and Figueroa are as good or better than the rest.

With Stove, Woody, Debaille, Cherry and Nash all under contract where does another DT fit in? I'd be more interested at an upgrade at rush end. Orimolde is certainly one who interests me. As for DB we have the 3 vets in Peters, Lee and Sayles with the likes of Cooper, Edwards-Cooper, Mauger and Greene under contract to compete with other newcomers for the 2 remaining starting spots. I would welcome a return of Branden Dozier to that mix.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

How on freaking earth can the CFL justify an $80K contract for the likes of Nathan Rourke if I interpret the cap space correctly. It strikes me that is a problem they have to fix.

If they're going for roster continuity, fine but on offense they'd best be more creative and multi-pronged something that for some reason BC Lions in recent years have moved off from big plays interspersed with a predictable run play or two.

I just don't see that happening.

That's why other teams in the CFL like the Bombers are more exciting to watch. Argos also at times.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I think Toppy that came about in the same way the NFL and NHL started putting constraints on rookie salaries. Only difference is the dollars are much smaller. I think those were mostly at the behest of the respective player's associations who were seeing bigger and bigger chunks of the salary caps going to unproven players fresh out of college or junior hockey. Understandably the bigger the piece of pie going to the rookies the less there is for veterans.

In fairness to the CFL, CFLPA pand the structure who could ever possibly have imagined a NAT QB getting drafted that high AND making such an impact in only his 2nd year of a 3 year deal. I suppose something could have been worked into the new CBA but again nobody could have predicted Rourke would be that good until well after the ink had dried on the CBA.
johnchow604
Rookie

This past season when Rourke was healthy and the Lions offense was rolling, I remember reading on other team message boards how Rourke benefited from having great receivers and dominant offensive line. That would support how the Lions don't need to be active during free agency. Yet, after Rourke went down, those same receivers and OL seemed more ordinary. In which case, maybe the Lions do need more outside help.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:30 pm
James Butler is one of many prominent unsigned RBs around the league, including Andrew Harris, Sean Thomas Erlington, William Powell, A.J. Ouellette, Walter Fletcher and Shaq Cooper. It could be a buyers’ market.
Scratch Sean Thomas Erlington from the list of unsigned RBs around the league. I had hoped the Lions would make an offer for the 30-year-old national with a 6.1-yard career rushing average, but he has re-signed with Hamilton.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not gone yet but testing the market is the now coveted by Hamilton, James Butler.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are pursuing dynamic running back James Butler, per sources.
Butler is a pending free agent after playing out his rookie contract with the B.C. Lions, which paid him the league’s minimum salary.
Securing Butler’s signature would give the Ticats a versatile, every-down back to put with franchise quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell.
https://3downnation.com/2023/02/07/hami ... es-butler/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

It has been said before that running backs a dime a dozen. And it has also been said, and worth repeating, that the good RBs that can run inside and outside, catch, and block are a lot more scarce. IMO, Butler is one of those guys and worth every dime he gets paid. I just hope it ends up that the Lions are the ones coming up with the dimes.
Qman
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:16 pm
It has been said before that running backs a dime a dozen. And it has also been said, and worth repeating, that the good RBs that can run inside and outside, catch, and block are a lot more scarce. IMO, Butler is one of those guys and worth every dime he gets paid. I just hope it ends up that the Lions are the ones coming up with the dimes.
Would spend those $ on oline and dline again. Couture would solve our #1 problem area. Resign Figueroa (even though he looks ok at times - isn’t dominate anymore- still good) As well, NT again. Even edge rusher like #9 on stamps is a force
maxlion
Legend

I like Butler. He has shown real improvement in his time here. That said, there are some others available that could do the job, and might even be better options.

Oullette and Hills are bigger, more powerful backs. I wonder if Calgary might part with one of their backs. Last year Edmonton found a diamond in the rough in Brown. Maybe we have someone in mind that could come in and surprise people.

I also wonder what Andrew Harris' plans are. Paying a higher salary for a guy near the end of his career is risky, but he is a proven winner and has the right passport.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

As a NAT and the CFL's highest paid RB in 2022 Harris will still cost a lot more than Butler who certainly deserves a large raise on his league minimum salary of $65K last year.

8 of the top 12 salaries for CFL RBs in 2022 went to NATs with only Harris and Oliviera being their club's starting tailbacks. The rest were backups or rotational backs. Last year Brendan Gillanders, who retired last month, was 8th highest paid RB at $90.5K despite averaging only 9 carries and 5.5 receptions per year over his previous 7 seasons. Keinan Lafrance was making $83.5K despite only totaling 9 carries and 8 receptions while playing all 32 regular season games the previous 2 years with the Riders.

As for Ouellette's size he and Butler are identical in size; both are listed at 5'9 with Butler being 2 pounds heavier. Hills though is 6'1 218 so 8 pounds heavier but on a 4" taller frame. For some reason I had assumed Ouellette, probably because of his name, was a Canadian but he is American.