Farhan: Lions on verge of acquiring Vernon Adams

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wow! They don’t want this great season going to waste.
Hearing that there is a strong possibility that @BCLions will acquire @BIGPLAYVA3 from @MTLAlouettes. Could be done by Wed. I’ve heard a 1st round pick is the likely return. VA’s elbow is completely healthy & BC is close to his home in Tacoma. @CFLonTSN @TSN_Sports
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I'm not surprised to hear of this, and I'm quite happy about it, if indeed it comes to be. VA has always interested me as player in our league, and despite some of his failings, certainly is always entertaining out there on the playing field. An interesting fellow, and one whom teammates seem to get behind. I'd welcome him. But, yeah, we'll be giving up something significant (draft pick or whatever), that's for sure. It's likely necessary, especially if O'Connor is injured. Adams is several big steps up from Pipkin IMO.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That would be full circle for VA, who was on B.C.’s negotiation list when the Lions traded his rights to Montreal for a first-round pick in the 2017 draft.

It would also be a slap in the face to the other quarterbacks on the Lions’ roster, especially to Michael O’Connor, who was demoted from No. 2 to No. 3 on the depth chart in Calgary last year, just when it looked like he was going to get his first opportunity to play.

Vernon Adams doesn’t seem to be a QB who can make quick reads and pinpoint throws like Nathan Rourke but he can run around and cause havoc for defences until he either finds someone open downfield or finds a running lane for himself. That might help the Lions win some games. It might also destroy the tight chemistry that makes this team special. That’s a big risk.
almo89
Legend

Not sure what I think of this. I still want to see O'Connor get a shot. Also want to see Thompson get a try to before Adams. Maybe just an insurance policy.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Farhan's TSN video clip on the topic: https://www.tsn.ca/video/would-the-acqu ... on~2511463
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I've seen enough of O'Connor to know you aren't going anywhere with him, and in any event this type of move seems to indicate that the groin issue is pretty serious. It should also tell you Rourke is done for the year.

Pipkin is good enough for you to finish fourth with. No shame in that in a regular year.

However this isn't a regular year and clearly the club brain trust thinks it can win now with the pieces it has and when you consider the O Line, D Line, secondary and receiving corps they aren't wrong.

Give up the 1st for Adams now and worry about the future later.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

@Hambone, is this where I say I told you so? LOL. Although I thought the trade would not happen for a few more weeks.

I like this move. It says to me (and sends a message to the team) that the Lions believe they still have a Grey Cup contending team in 2022 and are not going to flush that opportunity because of bad luck with the injury to Rourke. It would be easy to write off this season and take solace in the fact they will almost certainly be in the playoffs despite losing their star QB. The organization would have zero pressure to succeed and could focus on making a push for 2023. But instead they are doing what they can to maybe win it all this year. I love that attitude.

I’m also really happy for Vernon Adams. He’s a good dude, a good leader, and does have the skills to be a successful CFL QB. Hopefully he’s over the yips he had to start the season. I LOVE that his first game as a Lion will be against Montreal. How motivated do you think he will be to shove a win right up the (redacted) of Danny Macochia? A big win over his old team would be a purrfect confidence building game before the back to backs with Calgary. Those two games will likely determine whether on not BC hosts a playoff game this year.
maxlion
Legend

I like this move. O’Connor and Pipkin are fine as short term solutions, but I didn’t feel confident that either could carry the team through half the season and the playoffs. VA plays a sandlot style of football which is not my preference but can be exciting and effective at times. In any case, not many options available at this point in the season. I do like VA’s perseverance and team first approach. This move brings some hope and excitement back.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It’s official:
https://www.bclions.com/2022/08/31/lion ... alouettes/

I hope VA is a quick learner. Farhan says the Lions have not ruled out starting him next week in Montreal. At least he knows the opponent.
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

Infrequent poster, frequent lurker here.
I like this move, a lot. I do wonder however if VA can adapt to the Lions scheme or does the team adjust to his skill-set? Either way, he can move the ball and he’s never had an opportunity in the league with this level of talent around him.
Also curious about O’Connor. In the little time he played up to his start, he had zip on his ball. In his only start, no zip. He looked tentative. Not giving him more playing time in 4th quarters doesn’t look very prescient.
I’m looking forward to the rest of the season!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:28 am
@Hambone, is this where I say I told you so? LOL. Although I thought the trade would not happen for a few more weeks.

I like this move. It says to me (and sends a message to the team) that the Lions believe they still have a Grey Cup contending team in 2022 and are not going to flush that opportunity because of bad luck with the injury to Rourke. It would be easy to write off this season and take solace in the fact they will almost certainly be in the playoffs despite losing their star QB. The organization would have zero pressure to succeed and could focus on making a push for 2023. But instead they are doing what they can to maybe win it all this year. I love that attitude.

I’m also really happy for Vernon Adams. He’s a good dude, a good leader, and does have the skills to be a successful CFL QB. Hopefully he’s over the yips he had to start the season. I LOVE that his first game as a Lion will be against Montreal. How motivated do you think he will be to shove a win right up the (redacted) of Danny Macochia? A big win over his old team would be a purrfect confidence building game before the back to backs with Calgary. Those two games will likely determine whether on not BC hosts a playoff game this year.
Lol. Toadaso accepted. I honestly didn't think Montreal would pull the trigger given Adams is the only one they have under contract for 2023 and how well liked and respected he is by his team mates. Maybe with the way things are going for Hamilton and Ottawa they feel they can make the playoffs with Harris and should he get hurt then Dom Davis? I suppose in hindsight if BC was going to make such a bold move it was best to do it as soon as possible as opposed to waiting until the last minute.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:00 pm

It would also be a slap in the face to the other quarterbacks on the Lions’ roster, especially to Michael O’Connor, who was demoted from No. 2 to No. 3 on the depth chart in Calgary last year, just when it looked like he was going to get his first opportunity to play.
I'm not convinced O'Connor was demoted from 2 to 3 in Calgary. Maier came in as a fresh raw rookie joining a team entering a season where there would be a shorter than normal training camp with no preseason games. I think O'Connor was really just the placeholder for #2 until Maier got a few more weeks of development by practicing and watching games and tape. Then BLM had his leg injury and the process was sped up.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:09 am
Not sure what I think of this. I still want to see O'Connor get a shot. Also want to see Thompson get a try to before Adams. Maybe just an insurance policy.
I doubt this is any sort of insurance policy for 2022. You don't give up 1st round picks without the intention of putting the return to work as soon as possible. If this is an insurance move I think it would be for the possibility of Rourke getting an NFL shot for 2023.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I think VA starts against his old team. He gets an expanded week of practices (they are back on the field Saturday) and that gives
him one game under his belt before home and home with the Stamps.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

cromartie wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:17 am
I've seen enough of O'Connor to know you aren't going anywhere with him, and in any event this type of move seems to indicate that the groin issue is pretty serious. It should also tell you Rourke is done for the year.

Pipkin is good enough for you to finish fourth with. No shame in that in a regular year.

However this isn't a regular year and clearly the club brain trust thinks it can win now with the pieces it has and when you consider the O Line, D Line, secondary and receiving corps they aren't wrong.

Give up the 1st for Adams now and worry about the future later.
You can't give up on O'Connor after only a quarter and half. Could you imagine the Lion's giving up on Rourke after the first quarter of his first start?

You also have to remember it took Vernon Adams 6 years to become a starter. 2018 was good, but then he got injured in 2019 and hasn't been the same.