Kick coverage/kick return

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

tak06
prospect

Been a Lions fan since 1964 and this current team has certainly been one of the most exciting I've ever seen, however unless they fix the poor kick return coverage and have someone with the ability to return a kickoff / punt to the house they'll have difficulty with the Bombers or the Stamps. The incredible ability of Rourke has been able to overcome the shortcomings in spite of the above but can't do it forever.
David
Team Captain

I am appalled at just how far below other teams we are in these two critical areas.

We are 7th in punt return average (7.8 yards per return) and dead last in kickoff return average (19.3 yards per return...our longest kick return this season being a measly 35 yards). I can't find stats on cover teams but teams like Calgary continually scrimmage from their 40-45 yard line, giving them ample opportunity to get into field goal range with a couple of first downs.

This is not sustainable. You simply can't be a top-echelon team with this kind of glaring weakness. Can you imagine just what a train wreck we'd be if our field goal kicker and punter weren't so proficient?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here how the Lions' cover teams rank after Week 10:

1st (Tie) - Net punting average (39.4 yards, tied with Ottawa for best in the league.)
4th (Tie) - Opponent punt return average (10.2 yards. Not bad since Flintoft leads the league in gross punting average and the Lions share the lead in net average.)
5th (Tie) - Opponents' big play returns (4. Saskatchewan and Edmonton bring up the rear with 6 and 7, respectively.)
7th - Opponents' average starting field position after kickoffs (40.4 yard line. Saskatchewan and Edmonton again are the worst.)
7th (Tie) - Opponents kick return TDs (2, tied with Saskatchewan. Edmonton has given up a league-worst 3.)
8th - Opponents' average kick return (25.4 yards. Edmonton is worse.)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would like to see Lucky Whitehead back on return team.
David
Team Captain

And how many bye weeks have we had to figure things out on Specials? It was much the same story last season too. :sigh:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Steve Ewen of The Province delves into the team's special teams struggles, with quotes from Rick Campbell, who says the Lions are considering activating practice roster wide receiver Shane Wynn as a returner.
B.C. Lions not ticked off over kickoffs, ‘keep working’ on faltering special teams
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:21 am
Steve Ewen of The Province delves into the team's special teams struggles, with quotes from Rick Campbell, who says the Lions are considering activating practice roster wide receiver Shane Wynn as a returner.
B.C. Lions not ticked off over kickoffs, ‘keep working’ on faltering special teams
Was just now viewing Matt Baker's Lions Practice Report video from today and indeed he confirms Shane Wynn (all 168 lbs and 5 ft 6 inches of him!) will be activated as returner. LOL. Perhaps he's small enough to find holes and lanes where no one else could. I wonder if he's got blazing speed? He's not quite a kid anymore, at age 29. Anyhow, I suspect blocking scheme is the issue and not so much who the returner is in the Lions' case.
Walt67
Starter

So glad Ewen covered this today - it was a sizzling topic of concern here even after the cinematic come-from-behind win over the Stamps. There was also a quote - I think Farhan posted it - of an opposition player saying the Lions had "high school specialty teams" (except for Field Goals, naturally). Kick return coverage helped lose the Bomber game and almost lost the Calgary game.
Let's get some laser focus on turning that around - from yet another fan from the 1964 Glory Season.