B.C at Calgary Aug. 13, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:09 pm
Special teams won thee game.
Yeah, they almost lost it for us too :wink:
squishy35
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:37 pm
What impresses me is Campbell is willing to take risks. I'm sure the players love that, especially with this youngish team. After the conservative Buono years, it is refreshing. He also knows how to play the clock and makes sound decisions when the game is on the line.
Agree 100%. The risks taken (and fortunately paying off) makes for one of the most exciting teams to watch since the Don Matthews years.
Rammer
Team Captain

How frustrating was that game, trying to inch the way back in and each time the Lions did, they would find another way to give back the momentum.

Rourke is learning about winning games that aren’t going his way. As for NFL interest, we’ll there should be some in the Lion receivers, as they are helping the legend that is becoming Rourke grow with incredible pressure catches.

A great road victory. Okay
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

maxlion wrote:
What impresses me is Campbell is willing to take risks. I'm sure the players love that, especially with this youngish team. After the conservative Buono years, it is refreshing. He also knows how to play the clock and makes sound decisions when the game is on the line.
Lol. The soundest of decisions are always the ones that work. Those that don't work are bad decisions.;)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Walt67
Starter

I can't believe that Sir Purrcival wrote "special teams won the game" - can't disagree more - or at least there is a strong strong need to separate Special Teams into the FG unit and the kick return teams.
As in the Bomber loss, kick coverage was the biggest weakness the Lions had. We surrendered TDs and allowed Calgary to start at their own 45 almost all game - while Rourke was often starting on his 20. Every Calgary Kick return had a gap the size of the Grand Canyon opening up - it was like the opening kickoff against the Bombers. The offense bailed them out big time, but we must find ways to seal those gaps - those plays are killers.
Meanwhile, Whyte was fabulous. In short, we won in spite of the kick return special teams - not because of them.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:29 pm
How frustrating was that game, trying to inch the way back in and each time the Lions did, they would find another way to give back the momentum.

Rourke is learning about winning games that aren’t going his way. As for NFL interest, we’ll there should be some in the Lion receivers, as they are helping the legend that is becoming Rourke grow with incredible pressure catches.

A great road victory. Okay
Cottoy is the only one who has a shot at NFL interest. Whitehead and Burnham are already 30+. By the start of 2023 NFL training camps Rhymes will be 30 and Hatcher pushing 29. NFL teams have no interest in receivers of that vintage unless they are proven NFL commodities. Half of NFL rosters won't even have a receiver who is 30 or more.
Rammer
Team Captain

Oh I know Hambone, it is just the quality of the receptions. Rourke is getting a lot of credit for the yards, but watching the receptions, I’m not sure any other team can boast catches like the Lions corps are producing every game.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Here are the hi-lites for those that missed the game or those who want to relive the frustration and elation

maxlion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:49 pm
maxlion wrote:
Lol. The soundest of decisions are always the ones that work. Those that don't work are bad decisions.;)
But Lions have the players who can make it happen. 3rd and 2, game on the line. Rourke throws a purrfect pass to Burnham for a 50 yard td. A couple minutes later another 30 yrs pass to Burnham on 3rd down. On the final drive another 30 yard pass to Whitehead on 2nd down. Those are all bold plays that worked because the coaches had the confidence in the players to get it done, and they had the ability to do it. Campbell is making the right decisions for this group.
maxlion
Legend

Rammer wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:54 pm
Rourke is getting a lot of credit for the yards, but watching the receptions, I’m not sure any other team can boast catches like the Lions corps are producing every game.
One of the benefits of having a Canadian QB on a bargain contract is that you can surround him with a great receiving corp. No doubt Rourke is benefitting from that. But at the same time it is the same receiving corp and offensive line that Reilly had last year. Rourke has almost purrfect accuracy AND we have a very strong receiving group. Sure makes for an exciting team!
almo89
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:10 pm
Hambone wrote:
maxlion wrote:
But Lions have the players who can make it happen. 3rd and 2, game on the line. Rourke throws a purrfect pass to Burnham for a 50 yard td. A couple minutes later another 30 yrs pass to Burnham on 3rd down. On the final drive another 30 yard pass to Whitehead on 2nd down. Those are all bold plays that worked because the coaches had the confidence in the players to get it done, and they had the ability to do it. Campbell is making the right decisions for this group.
That pass to Burnham in between 2 defenders was ridiculous. Both radio and TV play by play guys couldn't believe that was a completion. The ball couldn't have been thrown anywhere else. It was a purrfect pass and a awesome catch.
David
Team Captain

Wow. This comment is an absolutely damning indictment on Dan Yanowsky.

"One prominent opposing player told me this week BCs special teams are “high school” level."

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:28 pm
maxlion wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:10 pm
Hambone wrote:

That pass to Burnham in between 2 defenders was ridiculous. Both radio and TV play by play guys couldn't believe that was a completion. The ball couldn't have been thrown anywhere else. It was a purrfect pass and a awesome catch.
What is often overlooked is that Rourke throws a nice tight spiral. He zings it in there. Reilly's pass is often wobbly and doesn't seem to get to the target as fast.
Walt67
Starter

maxlion wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:19 pm
Rammer wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:54 pm
Rourke is getting a lot of credit for the yards, but watching the receptions, I’m not sure any other team can boast catches like the Lions corps are producing every game.
One of the benefits of having a Canadian QB on a bargain contract is that you can surround him with a great receiving corp. No doubt Rourke is benefitting from that. But at the same time it is the same receiving corp and offensive line that Reilly had last year. Rourke has almost purrfect accuracy AND we have a very strong receiving group. Sure makes for an exciting team!
I agree about the quality of the receiving corps being close to the group Reilly had - but there are two more factors. One is a much improved O-Line which is providing much better pass blocking, though run blocking seems to still be a work in progress. Two is that Rourke is younger and more mobile and generally gets the ball away quicker. I was a big Reilly fan but he went to the long ball more often, and the longer routes contributed to more sacks on him.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:30 am

What is often overlooked is that Rourke throws a nice tight spiral. He zings it in there. Reilly's pass is often wobbly and doesn't seem to get to the target as fast.
He also has a nice tight, compact throwing motion. The ball comes out quicker than it would for a lot of other QBs.