Elks vs. Lions Aug. 6, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The main question for the Lions is how long do they leave Rourke in the game, and how many quarterbacks will see the field. I don’t think Pipkin has taken a snap this year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Great to see Burnham back
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:36 pm
Great to see Burnham back
Indeed. So smooth.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

I don't understand your up by a huge amount. Let O'Connor have the fourth quarter and not just handoffs to the runningback. Also let 250lbs fullback run the ball.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:33 pm
I don't understand your up by a huge amount. Let O'Connor have the fourth quarter and not just handoffs to the runningback. Also let 250lbs fullback run the ball.
I agree. Rourke was on fire and won the game in the first half. I understand leaving him in the game to set the record but by taking the foot off the accelerator with play calling in the third quarter the Lions just extended Rourke’s time in the game and eliminated the chance for O’Connor to get any meaningful reps.

That quibble aside, it was probably the most dominant performance I’ve seen by a Lions quarterback in 60 years of watching this team. Two of his 3 incompletions were drops (Burnham can be forgiven after leaping for the catch, being undercut and landing on his head) and the other was a throwaway under pressure. Rourke was otherwise purrfect and his receivers made some clutch catches in coverage. Rourke puts the ball where his receivers can make a play, and this receiving corps is as sure-handed as any I’ve seen. It was a fun game to watch. I even felt a bit sorry for Duron Carter standing back in the Edmonton safety spot where he has no experience and being helpless to stop the passing onslaught.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

34 for 37 pass completions for 477 yards, 5 touchdowns with no interceptions. 23 pass completions in a row. Staggering performance for anyone and Rourke is only a rookie.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:59 pm
34 for 37 pass completions for 477 yards, 5 touchdowns with no interceptions. 23 pass completions in a row. Staggering performance for anyone and Rourke is only a rookie.
Rourke is not a rookie as this is his second year as a Lion, while 2021 was his first season wherein he got at least two starts at QB and did a lot of practice with the first stringers as Reilly rested his elbow between games for most of 2021.

On another note, can we now make it official? Chris Jones has lost his status as a defensive guru.

One concern was a complete lack of a running game from the Lions. They did react to the situation by relying on the short check down pass for 4-6 yards instead of handing off the ball for 4-6 yards. It turns out, if you complete 34 of 37 passes, you can play ball control football and burn up the clock without a running game. :yahoo:
PGSSS74
Rookie

Many things right and beautiful about the game.

Two bad things: leaving Rourke in. O'Connor should have entered much earlier.

And in the second half, tandem the running backs, with a tailback and a fullback. Butler can NOT do it all and is showing he can't.

I appreciate we have lots of wonderful receivers, but surely the second half was a time to open up the offence.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Jordan Makysmic must have felt like he was playing Madden from the spotter’s booth last night. Must be wonderful having QB with the composure and ability to make any throw you want to a ridiculously talented group of receivers.

He is also making a name for himself with Rourke flourishing under him never mind Rhymes and others.
Great to see for a league starving for young offensive coaches. And it really is his show as Campbell’s background is a defensive coach.
He is going to be in the conversation the next time we see off season head coaching vacancies
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I guess the question is whether or not it is really about the scheme or is just about matching a QB to the scheme? A good OC plays to his players strengths and designs around the talent you have. Up until now I have questioned that.
adaptability as it seemed that what the Lions were doing previously set Reilly up for clobbering much of the time. So has Makysmic really figured it out or have the dominos just lined up for him this year?
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This is the same offence that Reilly ran last year. Rourke can do much more with it than an ailing Reilly did at the end of his career. And the receivers have had a full year of working together and learning it.
Walt67
Starter

I agree with pretty well all the comments here, especially about Rourke starting to look like the best Lions' QB going back to the 1964 Grey Cup.

Enjoyed being at the game last night but I have one concern - the lack of a strong ground attack to match the superb passing numbers. This reminded me of a game early last season when the Lions kicked the heck out of Ottawa but did it without a ground game - something which bites you in those cold-weather playoff games in the prairies.

Again, the offensive display was awesome, especially in the first half - and Butler and company have run well at times this season - but we will need a consistent running attack to do well in the playoffs.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Which is kind of what I was getting at. Clearly we didn't have the horses to run this in previous years and yet we persisted in trying to make it work. The results were predictable. That is to say bad. It seems that one of the biggest challenges that coaches have is recognizing when things aren't working and changing from preferences to something that fits the existing skill set better. That's what tends to separate good coaches from legends imo. Is our OC the next big thing in coaching? For me the jury is still out.
Walt67
Starter

Sir Purrcival, sounds like we are in agreement that ensuring the ground game is stronger as the season goes forward has to be a priority. The Lions O-line has been largely great in pass protection so you'd hope they would enjoy being the "hammer" on running plays as well.
Special teams seem largely fine, except for the Bomber loss when Winnipeg opened with kick-return TD and then had a second called back by penalty.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Oh we are in agreement on that for sure. I was actually responding to the comment before yours but we are definitely in agreement