Good bye Awe. Hello Ross.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Today the Lions released a favorite of mine in Micah Awe and added recent Elks cut NAT receiver Shai Ross.

My thoughts on Awe are that with key offseason DL acquisitions in Richardson and Baron being lost for now they signed Awe early in camp to open up the possibility of running a lot of 3-4 to get some pressure in passing situations. Edmonton wasn't exactly a litmus test but maybe they feel good enough about the DL that they aren't seeing a need for that Plan B. Also I think they like Josh Woods a lot and would like to get him into game action; younger and cheaper. Awe would be a roadblock to that.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

My thoughts exactly, Hambone. Awe wants to be a starter and that clearly wasn't going to happen here with Williams, Lokombo, and Purifoy. Was probably told they were leaning to more 3-4 packages prior to signing, but not so much anymore. You're right about Woods, I think they really like what they see in this kid.

Ross will be an interesting addition to the roster. Hopefully, they can play up his superior athletic skills on the Jumbotron (backflips with the barbell, dunking Oreo cookies etc). Just a reminder to fans of the amazing athletic abilities of CFLers.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Yeah Awe was only going to work if they played a lot of 3-4.

Why did Ross get cut by Jones is the bigger question. An athletic receiver that Jones might have turned into a DE, but then didn't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:37 pm
Yeah Awe was only going to work if they played a lot of 3-4.

Why did Ross get cut by Jones is the bigger question. An athletic receiver that Jones might have turned into a DE, but then didn't.
It's far easier to figure out the secret of the Caramilk bar than what goes on in Jones' melon. Speculation on Elks forum is that Jones wanted to bump Ross the the PR and he balked. Last game Ross was listed as starter backed up by Vandervoort. If Jones was asking him to be demoted below Vandervoort I could see him balking.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I agree that trying to figure out Chris Jones' player decision-making (especially when he just takes over a new team for him and it's still early in the season) is tough to do.

Even non-football fans have seen Shai Ross's athleticism and the Lions lose little by having a look at him. Gizmo Williams is as much remembered for his flips post TD scoring as he is for his football feats! The CFL could use some of this for marketing - naturally this guy has to be able to play.

Micah Awe couldn't likely be traded as they just have to wait for him to be released and sign him for nothing in way of a trade.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:04 am
I agree that trying to figure out Chris Jones' player decision-making (especially when he just takes over a new team for him and it's still early in the season) is tough to do.

Even non-football fans have seen Shai Ross's athleticism and the Lions lose little by having a look at him. Gizmo Williams is as much remembered for his flips post TD scoring as he is for his football feats! The CFL could use some of this for marketing - naturally this guy has to be able to play.

Micah Awe couldn't likely be traded as they just have to wait for him to be released and sign him for nothing in way of a trade.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Awe resurface in Edmonton. They need an upgrade at linebacker but it might require a change in the ratio.