New Uni's for 2023? (update)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

NOTE - the initial thread was created to discuss 2022 changes but Amar Doman just hinted at new uniforms for this year or next.

Lions owner was on the Donnie and Dhali show and strongly hinted that a change in uniforms may be seen this year (maybe a 3'rd Jersey).

David
Team Captain

Not a big fan (if true). 3rds maybe (many fans calling for a return to the gunmetals). But our unis are fine the way we are. This notion of switching colour combinations every 2-3 years, indeed every other game as we saw with the orange pants/black pants switch, is absurd.

Brand consistency.

Homes: Orange jersey, black helmets, black pants with orange trim, orange socks
Aways: White jersey with orange trim, black helmets, black pants with orange trim, white socks.

:thup: :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Amar "The Tease" Doman. LOL

Possible new unis and special guests that will fill the stadium for the season opener. I'm really liking this guy. Hopefully whoever he is working on for the season opener lives up to the tease. Ryan Reynolds? Will Farrell? Pam Anderson return? Let the speculation begin! A Reynolds appearance tied to a promotion of his movie character role(s)? Given Gene Simmons association with Vancouver and Whistler I pondered maybe a KISS half time show but they are touring in Europe then. Whatever happens I believe Doman will not be afraid to break open his wallet to make a big splash.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:29 pm
Not a big fan (if true). 3rds maybe (many fans calling for a return to the gunmetals). But our unis are fine the way we are. This notion of switching colour combinations every 2-3 years, indeed every other game as we saw with the orange pants/black pants switch, is absurd.

Brand consistency.

Aways: White jersey with orange trim, black helmets, black pants with orange trim, white socks.

:whs:
The strongest sports franchises protect their brands by keeping their uniforms consistent for decades. Spectators in stadiums and watching TV can recognize the brands at first glance.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

Brand consistency.

Agreed. I think they nailed it with the current design. If they did do something hopefully only as a 3rd jersey like the gun metal ones. 3rd jerseys are all about generating new revenue which I'm OK with. There's lots of folks out there who will buy a 3rd simply because they don't have one. Hello Bosco. :wink: Maybe they would go all futuristic like some of those NCAA threads and lids. Again no problem with that for a 3rd set.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:41 pm
David wrote:

Brand consistency.

The strongest sports franchises protect their brands by keeping their uniforms consistent for decades. Spectators in stadiums and watching TV can recognize the brands at first glance.
Yet damn did the Canucks ever look sharp in their 1990s retros last night.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:46 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Yes, they played like the 1994 Canucks but not all eras are associated with good teams. I still prefer the original blue/green stick-in-rink Canuck unis. I recall going to a Canucks game once a few years ago and looking down at all the different coloured jerseys in the seats below me and wondering what teams they represented. It wasn't until the fans turned around and walked up the aisle that I realized they were all Canucks jerseys from past eras.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:36 pm
Amar "The Tease" Doman. LOL

Possible new unis and special guests that will fill the stadium for the season opener. I'm really liking this guy. Hopefully whoever he is working on for the season opener lives up to the tease. Ryan Reynolds? Will Farrell? Pam Anderson return? Let the speculation begin! A Reynolds appearance tied to a promotion of his movie character role(s)? Given Gene Simmons association with Vancouver and Whistler I pondered maybe a KISS half time show but they are touring in Europe then. Whatever happens I believe Doman will not be afraid to break open his wallet to make a big splash.
Ideal scenario. Ryan becomes part-owner (meaning limited financial share, but celebrity shares in clubs are quite common globally. They then act as "brand ambassadors"). What would be cool (and I don't know if they realistically can do this given the distribution deals the studios have with movie theaters) but have a "world premiere" of a big, upcoming action movie (e.g. Deadpool) after a Lions' game. That's thinking big! Even a teaser-trailer at half-time would be cool.

I don't think it's out of the question. In 1998, Sony debuted "Godzilla" at Madison Square Garden prior to its May 20 opening. I should know. I was there. :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:46 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
David wrote:

Brand consistency.

I so miss those uniforms. Never like the bland uniforms since or before.

I never met a lions uniform I didnt like
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:06 pm

Ideal scenario. Ryan becomes part-owner (meaning limited financial share, but celebrity shares in clubs are quite common globally. They then act as "brand ambassadors"). What would be cool (and I don't know if they realistically can do this given the distribution deals the studios have with movie theaters) but have a "world premiere" of a big, upcoming action movie (e.g. Deadpool) after a Lions' game. That's thinking big! Even a teaser-trailer at half-time would be cool.

I don't think it's out of the question. In 1998, Sony debuted "Godzilla" at Madison Square Garden prior to its May 20 opening. I should know. I was there. :wink:

For obvious copyright reasons they wouldn't be able to use Reynolds characters or films without agreement with the studio owning them. Who knows maybe there's a cross-promotional opportunity for something soon to be released? Or better yet maybe there's a script for something they are working on that could use a full stadium of extras? Just spitballimg on that aspect because I have no clue what Reynolds characters and roles are about.

As an aside when I was vacationing in Florida 4 or 5 years ago I took in a couple of hockey games as my Detroit Red Wings happened to be playing both the Panthers and Lightning. For the Florida game the Panthers hosted a Kevin Spacey "Spacey in Space" night obviously not knowing what would come out a year or two later. I knew nothing about Spacey other than I was fairly sure he was an actor of some sort. Judging by the crowd he was a lot bigger deal than I was aware of. They set an all-time Panther attendance record that night.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... house/amp/
Lionize
prospect

I am in favour of the gun metal uniforms. I loved the ones from the past and would welcome that combo to be their primary uniform, with the white and orange as their retro third look. Bring on a change.
Qman
Champion

Lionize wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:35 am
I am in favour of the gun metal uniforms. I loved the ones from the past and would welcome that combo to be their primary uniform, with the white and orange as their retro third look. Bring on a change.
Yes!!
Foxhound
Starter

David wrote:
But our unis are fine the way we are.
Brand consistency.

:cool:
I'm all in favour of brand consistency but the present home uniforms are decidedly not fine the way they are. There's way too much black.

I much prefer the uniforms the Lions wore some ten years ago. Those had a very clean look:

I'm actually still looking for a Large one myself.

:rockin:
Radically Canadian!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

First off, orange is an accent color, not a primary color. The new unis are fine in that regard.

Second, I do miss the gun metals and wish they'd return.

Third, I'm shocked that no one in this thread has noted that the center stripe is gone from the helmet this year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:21 am
Third, I'm shocked that no one in this thread has noted that the center stripe is gone from the helmet this year.
I like the black helmets without the centre stripes. The orange and black jerseys with all-black helmets make the team look more intimidating, IMO. So far, the new look seems to be working. :)