2022 Free Agents - BC Targets - Top 5

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I haven't seen confirmation elsewhere but Ed Tait says veteran Bomber nose tackle Steven Richardson has taken his 304-lb. frame to the Lions, as others had speculated in the past week. That fills a huge hole in the middle of the B.C. line.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Unfortunately Andrew Harris is going to Toronto.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Stove is officially a Lion.

https://www.bclions.com/2022/02/08/stov ... ichardson/

That should complete an overhaul of the rookie-laden, undersized and ineffective 2021 DL depth chart (FA signings in orange):

DE: Menard (N), Betts (N)
NT: Richardson, Thurman, Banks
DT: Baron, Bonner, Hammond (N)
DE: Gwacham, Divinity, Gustav (G)
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Just like that BC has remade the DL with Menard/Betts, Richardson and Baron.
Reg18
Starter

I !Ike boateng and Betts both nationals young with considerable growth potential.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:32 pm
Just like that BC has remade the DL with Menard/Betts, Richardson and Baron.
Fantastic news! I admit I was getting a little anxious waiting for the Richardson signing. Breaux sounds like freed up money from the Lawler deal given it came out of nowhere. O-line news next?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:56 pm

Fantastic news! I admit I was getting a little anxious waiting for the Richardson signing. Breaux sounds like freed up money from the Lawler deal given it came out of nowhere. O-line news next?
Not much out there worthy of any OL news unless Mathews gets extended.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Farhan Lalji, Breaux’s deal with B.C. Is for $130,000, which is reasonable for a veteran starter but much less than what he got in Hamilton when he came back from the NFL in 2018.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Andrew Harris goes to the Argos. I didn’t see that coming.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:39 pm
Andrew Harris goes to the Argos. I didn’t see that coming.
Me neither. Rod Pederson who is about as accurate as Yamasaki tweeted out last night that there were 3 teams with interest. I narrowed it down to BC and SSK as for sure and the 3rd being either TOR or WPG. The first 3 all had definite starting TB needs. I picked WPG as the 3rd one mostly because I thought TOR would be short in the wallet by now.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Trevor Harris returns to the Alouettes, who traded for him from Edmonton halfway trough the 2021 season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:20 pm
Trevor Harris returns to the Alouettes, who traded for him from Edmonton halfway trough the 2021 season.
Be interesting to find out how much he got. With them having $450K tied up in Adams I can't see it being much more than $200K. He probably lost a lot of market value with BC opting for O'Connor.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The Rourke/O'Connor storyline is bold, historic and compelling to say the least. If Jordan Maksymic makes it work then he is on his way to being a head coach somewhere and Rourke/O'Connor are poised for huge pay raises as ratio breaking QBs.

Will be interesting to see how heavily the Lions recruit at QB and what Americans they bring in to at least push O'Connor but as we know the 2 game pre-season is just too small of a sample size to rock a team's off-season depth chart, especially if it's going with 3 Americans on the o-line.

Would re-signing Shaq Johnson and potentially going 4 Americans up front had been a better option? Unless they see Petermann as a starter.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am a bit surprised that the Lions seem to have moved on from Shaq Johnson as he is a legit speedster. I guess the next few days will be telling but I would be more surprised if Shaq doesn't sign with another team soon.

Edit: Shaq Johnson has signed with Ottawa.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:18 pm
Menard signing with BC is another surprise. With him being from Quebec and gaining Eastern Most Outstanding Canadian award as an AL, I thought he would remain an AL. Maybe Als were expecting a hometown discount and Menard wasn't agreeing.

Also, maybe Lions offered starter money + and have Menard penciled in as a starting DE?
Menard, Whyte, Purifoy all back in the Den where they began. Who comes back next?