2022 Coaching Staff Announcement

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

https://www.bclions.com/2021/12/15/ryan ... ts-return/

Bates is back, Yanowsky is retained and Phillips is promoted. Great

Maksymic...notsomuch.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That leaves the defensive line coaching position wide open. Defensive assistant Claudell Louis filled in when Leroy Blugh withdrew for personal reasons just before the 2021 season. Neither is named to the 2022 staff.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Did anyone catch Moj's interview with Rick Lelacheur during Grey Cup Week? I couldn't find it on the day he was scheduled to be on. Was wondering if he was talking like he will be sticking around for the 2022 season.
These appointments confirm what many of us believed.
Yes Early hints suggest Doman is a patient guy content with leaving status quo on the football and business side of the operations for now.

Other than Phillips getting a bump in pay, it also suggests they didn't get a bunch of money freed up with the no more Claybrooks contract to pay out.

When you finish 5-9, including 2-7 in your division, yet retain basically your entire coaching staff it it's telling your fan base the talent wasn't there and it is now up to management to upgrade significantly via free agency and recruiting.
It's going to be an interesting couple of months ahead to see what this roster looks like come March.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not too keen on the Lions retaining Maksymic.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:12 pm
Did anyone catch Moj's interview with Rick Lelacheur during Grey Cup Week? I couldn't find it on the day he was scheduled to be on. Was wondering if he was talking like he will be sticking around for the 2022 season.
These appointments confirm what many of us believed, even though the management and coaching staffs of the other 2 non-playoff teams were completely wiped out. Early hints suggest Doman is a patient guy content with leaving status quo on the football and business side of the operations for now.

Other than Phillips getting a bump in pay, it also suggests they didn't get a bunch of money freed up with the no more Claybrooks contract to pay out.

When you finish 5-9, including 2-7 in your division, yet retain basically your entire coaching staff it it's telling your fan base the talent wasn't there and it is now up to management to upgrade significantly via free agency and recruiting.
It's going to be an interesting couple of months ahead to see what this roster looks like come March.
I don't think it was a lack of talent as much as it was the amount of rookie talent.

John Madden had a weird theory for predicting a team's won/loss record that went something like: For every starting rookie, count a lost game on the schedule. Lions went 5-9 and if you count all 3 guys that kicked FGs for the Lions it comes to 9 starting rookies. Madden is weird, but he may be on to something.

Some of those rookies are keepers: Hardin, Cooper-Edwards, Joyner, Flintoff, Williams; and Butler is worth another look.

If you add in guys that were new to the CFL or new to the Lions then it is easy to conclude that the 2021 Lions were greener and had less CFL experience than a typical expansion team.

Maksymic was a rookie OC and a Reilly choice so his return could be a hint that Reilly is returning. In any event I am all for giving a rookie another season. Same goes for Ryan Philips who had the D signal calling thrust upon him last minute at the start of 2021 with no pre season games, so I expect a very well prepared RP as the DC for 2022.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions definitely suffered by loading the defensive line with CFL rookies. The young linebackers and DBs are keepers who will be better with a year of experience. The two coordinators should be better with experience. The Lions have a lot of talented skill position players but the offensive and defensive lines need improvement.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:16 pm
The Lions definitely suffered by loading the defensive line with CFL rookies. The young linebackers and DBs are keepers who will be better with a year of experience. The two coordinators should be better with experience. The Lions have a lot of talented skill position players but the offensive and defensive lines need improvement.
For word BC FAN. And what will the magical number of changes be to the 9 interior line positions to swing into a contending team?

Probably easier to do with the offensive line given there were some expensive 2021 starters when you include injured Matthews. So it’s swapping that money for other free agents. Ideally I would love to see them land two all-star caliber d-lineman. That money would have to come from a Reilly paycut/retirement or elsewhere.
Not sure what they were paying Marcus Sayles but didn’t think they got the impact from him they were hoping for. He is under contract for 2022.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lions add former Alouette legend John Bowman as DLC.
https://3downnation.com/2022/01/17/bowm ... ine-coach/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well if he is half as good as a coach as he was a player, this is good news.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have hired Tanya Walter as defensive assistant, making her the first full-time female coach in CFL history.

https://www.bclions.com/2022/02/15/lion ... assistant/
PGSSS74
Rookie

I welcome Tanya Walter to the coaching ranks. In her first few interviews, she seems articulate and intelligent. I trust she will be mentored correctly by the other Lions staff.
tedbear
Starter

My concern is, do we really need a defensive assistant? I could be wrong but I don't recall us having a defensive assistant on the staff in previous years. Someone correct me if I am mistaken,

If this is a new position, with the coaching salary cap I wonder how this will effect us in other coaching positions?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

My guess is that the main job of the defensive assistant will involve compiling video clips from games and practice for the various position groups; a task that was probably in the past, done by someone with a different title.
tedbear
Starter

So do you think that her salary would be included in the coaches cap?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CFL teams are allowed a maximum of 11 coaches. The Lions have 10, including Rick Campbell, who doubles as co-GM. Claudell Louis was hired as defensive assistant last year but took over responsibility for the defensive line when Leroy Blugh stepped down on the eve of training camp. Trysten Dyce is offensive assistant, the equivalent position. Keith Stokes, Danny O'Brien and Quinn Tedford have held similar positions with the offence, defence or special teams in the past. The title of quality-control coach has sometimes been applied to such positions.