3 Lions up for Ottawa Gm job

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

According to 3 Down Nation, Duane Ford and 3 Lions: Simon, Rigmaiden and McEvoy are being considered for the GM job in Ottawa. Why is McEvoy interested? He is already the GM with the Lions, so don't know why he would consider leaving for the Ottawa job.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That was the Dave Naylor tweet that I posted in another thread. The Lions have given Ottawa permission to contact McEvoy, Simon and Rigmaiden.

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rigmaiden was Wally’s choice for the Als a couple of years ago when he had the same advisory role he has now with the Elks. He turned it down.
He is probably the most legit of the 3. Geroy is a “big name” but like McElvoy the Lions haven’t exactly been a dominant team with him in a recruiting/personnel role.

How the hell is the Stamps 15-year director of player personnel Brendan Mahoney never mentioned?

From a potential new president, to GM to even player signings, sure would be nice if the Lions have something to announce before the new year.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Rigmaiden has been retained and promoted to assistant GM and director of player personnel. Seems a sensible move. https://3downnation.com/2021/12/22/b-c- ... personnel/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:29 pm
Rigmaiden has been retained and promoted to assistant GM and director of player personnel. Seems a sensible move. https://3downnation.com/2021/12/22/b-c- ... personnel/
Well deserved. Rigmaiden found a lot of talent for the Lions before leaving to help build the Winnipeg Grey Cup roster.

I notice there is no mention of Geroy Simon’s role with the Lions. He could be a good ambassador for the franchise but he has operated in the shadows since joining the front office.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I notice there is no mention of Geroy Simon’s role with the Lions. He could be a good ambassador for the franchise but he has operated in the shadows since joining the front office.
My understanding was that he did a lot of US scouting which, from the latter half of Wally's time here through to Hervey's departure was very poor.

Regardless, Geroy is off to join the Elk now.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'd not be surprised if Ottawa were to take Duane Forde given how knowledgeable he is of Canadian talent.

Neil McEvoy may want a change as he's never been given a full-out endorsement for permanent GM.

What the current successful GMs have is good overall leadership from the President down and they seem to be able to function as good executives putting the team together to find talent (Calgary, Winnipeg, Sask, Hamilton - are proven in that regard) and it shows on the field.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Reg18
Starter

I can't see our gm by committee lasting very long. My guess is that rigmaidrn will end up asgm and McAvoy wil be named some kind of director of finance and Campbell will revert to HC only.
maxlion
Legend

it appears that by going with a management committee we are doing what Hamilton did the last few years. It worked in Hamilton, and I don't think there is any reason why it couldn't work here. It may not be permanent but nothing is. I get the sense that Rigmaiden, McEvoy and Campbell like working together and are happy with the arrangement. They have a lot of knowledge and experience between them.

Edit: I see that now Hamilton has hired Hervey as a third Ass't GM. That should be interesting!